Events not firing
Author Message
 Events not firing

Hi,

Joe told me something that I didn't know.  However, his method of pedegogy
is the same as religious zelots and others of similar ilk.  No one has a
right to be wrong -- if someone else is wrong, that person obviously have an
agenda, and that agenda is evil incarnate.

His sort of stupidity is that of not knowing the difference between
ignorance and knowlege.  However, he extends it by making personal attacks
on someone who hasn't offended him.  That is sick in addition to being
stupid.

BTW, just as a side issue, event handling is slow.  It is silly to use one
when not really required.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:14:55 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:

> I haven't told a lie to you or any one else.  If I made a mistake, it was
> simply a mistake.

> You obviously have a serious mental defect.  I suggest that you seek
> professional help.  Of course, my suggestion to you will be ill received.
> But, who can expect more?

So you now claim that it is unreasonable to expect a "Visual Basic MVP"
to actually know absolutely anything whatsoever about whichever aspect
of Visual Basic he's so stridently misrepresenting?  Especially when a
barefaced plug for B# is immediately following, hmmm?  Exactly what is
going on in the MVP program these days!?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>   L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:14:58 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:
> So you now claim that it is unreasonable to expect a "Visual Basic MVP"
> to actually know absolutely anything whatsoever about whichever aspect
> of Visual Basic he's so stridently misrepresenting?  Especially when a
> barefaced plug for B# is immediately following, hmmm?  Exactly what is
> going on in the MVP program these days!?

Joe, everyone makes mistakes... well, perhaps maybe you're the exception.

So which is it that really bothers you... the fact{*filter*} is a MS MVP and you're not,
or that he mentioned VB.Net in his post?

imho, you're contribution to this thread was uncalled for.

Doug.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:35:12 GMT
 Events not firing
As with almost all posts in this newsgroup about performance this
should be taken with a grain of salt.

A quick and dirty test of the overhead of raising an event rather than
calling a method on one of my clunky old machines shows an overhead of
about 5 microseconds per call. In 99.9% of VB programs this is an
insignificant amount when compared to the 100s, 1000s or 1000000s of
microseconds that the disk access, network access or user interaction
that triggered the event took. So outside of a large and very tight
loop (I've never seen an event used in something like that) optimizing
your code to avoid an event is probably useless.

You might say that optimizing your code is always a good thing.
Shouldn't we all be trying for the most efficient code? I've spent
alot of time - correcting the errors of people who tried optimizing
code (circular references anyone), doing the work of people who spent
hours working on pointless optimizations, or working through obscure
(but optimized) code trying to do modifications - so I'm not a big fan
of optimizing for the sake of squeezing out a microsecond here or
there at the expense of reliability, maintainability and
extensibility.

Remember writing software costs time and/or money - use them wisely.

<snip>

Quote:
>BTW, just as a side issue, event handling is slow.  It is silly to use one
>when not really required.

>--
>Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

>See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

>Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
>Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Stephen Martin
EMSoft Solutions Inc.
Toronto, ON

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 04:33:30 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:

> You can raise events in Form code from code in a class (object), not the
> other way around.  To receive an event, the code in question must have a
> Windows message handler.  Class modules (actually, the object instantiated
> from a class, not the class itself) has no message handler.  This has
> changed in Visual Studio .NET, where events are handled differently.
> However, VB6 and earlier...

A message loop shouldn't have anything to do with it.  AFAIK, VB events
are essentially COM connection points, which function through
callbacks.  That some events originate as window messages is neither
here nor there.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:06:09 GMT
 Events not firing
Yes, of course it's silly to use one when not required. That applies to just
about everything.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Joe told me something that I didn't know.  However, his method of pedegogy
> is the same as religious zelots and others of similar ilk.  No one has a
> right to be wrong -- if someone else is wrong, that person obviously have
an
> agenda, and that agenda is evil incarnate.

> His sort of stupidity is that of not knowing the difference between
> ignorance and knowlege.  However, he extends it by making personal attacks
> on someone who hasn't offended him.  That is sick in addition to being
> stupid.

> BTW, just as a side issue, event handling is slow.  It is silly to use one
> when not really required.

> --
> Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

> See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:16:21 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:

> > So you now claim that it is unreasonable to expect a "Visual Basic MVP"
> > to actually know absolutely anything whatsoever about whichever aspect
> > of Visual Basic he's so stridently misrepresenting?  Especially when a
> > barefaced plug for B# is immediately following, hmmm?  Exactly what is
> > going on in the MVP program these days!?

> Joe, everyone makes mistakes... well, perhaps maybe you're the exception.

There was no mistake, actually.  Here is incontrovertible proof that
{*filter*} in fact knows quite well exactly how events work in Classic VB:

Quote:
> So which is it that really bothers you... the fact{*filter*} is a MS MVP and you're not,
> or that he mentioned VB.Net in his post?

Perhaps it was the deliberate Disinformation.NET?  Naah, couldn't be...

Quote:
> imho, you're contribution to this thread was uncalled for.

What, was I supposed to just wait for the "cereal box" in the mail?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Greed = God? < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:02:54 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:

> You might say that optimizing your code is always a good thing.
> Shouldn't we all be trying for the most efficient code? I've spent
> alot of time - correcting the errors of people who tried optimizing
> code (circular references anyone), doing the work of people who spent

Remember where Micro$haft wants you to go today to cure all circular
references problems!  (Even when VictorTheCleaner could fix it right
now: URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=u7o9t7cfitfr07%40corp.supernews.com )

Quote:
> hours working on pointless optimizations, or working through obscure
> (but optimized) code trying to do modifications - so I'm not a big fan
> of optimizing for the sake of squeezing out a microsecond here or
> there at the expense of reliability, maintainability and
> extensibility.

.NET's JITter is supposed to be the miracle panacea for that, too...

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%23flZgBt2BHA.2460%40tkmsftngp07

Quote:
> Remember writing software costs time and/or money - use them wisely.

I wonder what the costs of rewriting all our code for .NET will be,
and don't look to the Migration Lizard to save your weekends, either:

 URL:http://devx.com/free/hotlinks/2002/ednote022002/ednote022002.asp

Are we having fun yet?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sacrament R2-45 <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:27:54 GMT
 Events not firing

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Events not firing
What a fatuous twerp you are.

Quote:

> > > So you now claim that it is unreasonable to expect a "Visual Basic
MVP"
> > > to actually know absolutely anything whatsoever about whichever aspect
> > > of Visual Basic he's so stridently misrepresenting?  Especially when a
> > > barefaced plug for B# is immediately following, hmmm?  Exactly what is
> > > going on in the MVP program these days!?

> > Joe, everyone makes mistakes... well, perhaps maybe you're the
exception.

> There was no mistake, actually.  Here is incontrovertible proof that
>{*filter*} in fact knows quite well exactly how events work in Classic VB:

> > So which is it that really bothers you... the fact{*filter*} is a MS MVP and
you're not,
> > or that he mentioned VB.Net in his post?

> Perhaps it was the deliberate Disinformation.NET?  Naah, couldn't be...

> > imho, you're contribution to this thread was uncalled for.

> What, was I supposed to just wait for the "cereal box" in the mail?

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Greed = God?

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:49:48 GMT
 Events not firing
Hi Stephen,

Actually, events are demonstarably slower than callbacks, which are the
equivalent mechanism.  However, I wasn't suggesting that they shouldn't be
used.  Just that they should be used where appropriate.  If all that is
desired is invocation of a method in an object then a straight-forward call
is best.

I should not have suggested that a reason for not using events is
performance, except where it (performance) really does matter.  An example
of this is high-performance timing.  The thread here has nothing to do with
that, so...  (Anyone interested in that topic can see a paper on that
subject on www.mvps.org/vb).

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:52:59 GMT
 Events not firing
Hi,

Yes, of course it's silly to use one when not required. That applies to just
about everything.
<<

That's what got me started down this slippery path.  My initial though was
that an event was not what was appropriate to solve the initial question.
Of course, sometimes more than one thing gets lost in the noise.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:55:14 GMT
 Events not firing

Quote:

> Yes, of course it's silly to use one when not required. That applies to just
> about everything.
> <<

> That's what got me started down this slippery path.  My initial though was
> that an event was not what was appropriate to solve the initial question.
> Of course, sometimes more than one thing gets lost in the noise.

Obviously, the design documents are usually omitted in order to
post the smallest example that demonstrates the problem at hand.
Or are you suggesting that everyone post NikNak-esque 274KB ZIPs?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check! <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:53:44 GMT
 Events not firing
Determined to have the last word, eh, Joe, even when you have nothing to
say?

Quote:

> > Yes, of course it's silly to use one when not required. That applies to
just
> > about everything.
> > <<

> > That's what got me started down this slippery path.  My initial though
was
> > that an event was not what was appropriate to solve the initial
question.
> > Of course, sometimes more than one thing gets lost in the noise.

> Obviously, the design documents are usually omitted in order to
> post the smallest example that demonstrates the problem at hand.
> Or are you suggesting that everyone post NikNak-esque 274KB ZIPs?

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check!

<http://www.xenu.net/>

> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:26:57 GMT

 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]