Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
Author Message
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?

I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened...

Yesterday, I opened up my VB project that I have been working on for a
while.  I put a day's worth of work into the code for a particular form.
Last night I had everything the way I like it, I had tested it several times
(read as more than 10), everything was fine, I made a minor adjustment here
or there for aesthetic reason.  Before I leave, I make an EXE out of it, and
then I test that several times.

I get back in this morning, fire up VB, and BANG, 80% of the code I wrote
yesterday is missing from that one particular form's code.  My machine was
locked to my password (so no, nobody booted it up, logged in, and did
anything malicious.)  We have a VERY stringent firewall system here, so I
highly doubt somebody was messing with my machine (and it would be a little
too ridiculous that the only thing that happened was they deleted some code
from my form.)

Now, if the form's code was identical to the code I started with yesterday,
it would potentially be less confusing, but it doesn't.  The form now has
portions of the code I wrote yesterday.  I do not have source control set on
this machine so VSS didn't replace it somehow.  I didn't manipulate any of
the forms/files directly except through vb via coding and saving before
running.  No copying, et cetera...

My dilemna is that there wasn't a copy of this code ANYWHERE, so how could
it suddenly show up on my machine this morning?

Anybody have any ideas?  Is there a place that VB stores temp data that
perhaps, when I started it up this morning, VB replaced the form code
thinking it was the right code?  I am totally at a loss to explain this...

     Thanks,
             Hans

Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:32:18 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?

Quote:

> Anybody have any ideas?  Is there a place that VB stores temp data that
> perhaps, when I started it up this morning, VB replaced the form code
> thinking it was the right code?  I am totally at a loss to explain this...

Could the "Save Project" have silently failed somehow?

Try this free undelete utility, but be careful -- you don't want the
file download to end up overwriting the very disk clusters that might
still contain your code!

 URL:http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

This one isn't free, but it works on Lose9x:

 URL:http://winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  "Regged" again? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:40:57 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
Thanks, I don't think the save failed because I had saved about 25 times
along the way and it somehow had the code for, like, version 6 of the 25
saves along the way.  It would have had to silently fail those remaining
times, in theory that is possible, but silently?

Hans :)

Quote:

> > Anybody have any ideas?  Is there a place that VB stores temp data that
> > perhaps, when I started it up this morning, VB replaced the form code
> > thinking it was the right code?  I am totally at a loss to explain
this...

> Could the "Save Project" have silently failed somehow?

> Try this free undelete utility, but be careful -- you don't want the
> file download to end up overwriting the very disk clusters that might
> still contain your code!

>  URL:http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

> This one isn't free, but it works on Lose9x:

>  URL:http://winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  "Regged" again?

<http://www.xenu.net/>

> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:59:49 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
Is the code on a shared volume?  If there was another user who opened the
project and left it open, or another instance of VB on the machine which had
the project open.  Then when the second instance closed and saved it could
overwrite the first instance.  After you closed the one you were working on.

I have had this sort of thing happen following one of my regular crashes of
the IDE by True help.

Matt

Quote:
> Thanks, I don't think the save failed because I had saved about 25 times
> along the way and it somehow had the code for, like, version 6 of the 25
> saves along the way.  It would have had to silently fail those remaining
> times, in theory that is possible, but silently?

> Hans :)

> > > Anybody have any ideas?  Is there a place that VB stores temp data
that
> > > perhaps, when I started it up this morning, VB replaced the form code
> > > thinking it was the right code?  I am totally at a loss to explain
> this...

> > Could the "Save Project" have silently failed somehow?

> > Try this free undelete utility, but be careful -- you don't want the
> > file download to end up overwriting the very disk clusters that might
> > still contain your code!

> >  URL:http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

> > This one isn't free, but it works on Lose9x:

> >  URL:http://winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp

> > --
> > Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  "Regged" again?
> <http://www.xenu.net/>
> > WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
> coming  to
> > because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
> ha ha!

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:23:32 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
What Service Pack are you runnning?

Sean

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:35:09 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
Nope...

     I am the only person working on this system.  The only way somebody
could've done this was to be malicious, but I highly doubt that.  Virus
scanned like crazy, and we have a very secure firewall...  I'll check about
a daemon type application.

    Thanks,
            Hans

Quote:
> Is the code on a shared volume?  If there was another user who opened the
> project and left it open, or another instance of VB on the machine which
had
> the project open.  Then when the second instance closed and saved it could
> overwrite the first instance.  After you closed the one you were working
on.

> I have had this sort of thing happen following one of my regular crashes
of
> the IDE by True help.

> Matt

> > Thanks, I don't think the save failed because I had saved about 25 times
> > along the way and it somehow had the code for, like, version 6 of the 25
> > saves along the way.  It would have had to silently fail those remaining
> > times, in theory that is possible, but silently?

> > Hans :)

> that
> > this...

> > > Could the "Save Project" have silently failed somehow?

> > > Try this free undelete utility, but be careful -- you don't want the
> > > file download to end up overwriting the very disk clusters that might
> > > still contain your code!

> > >  URL:http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

> > > This one isn't free, but it works on Lose9x:

> > >  URL:http://winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp

> > > --
> > > Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  "Regged" again?
> > <http://www.xenu.net/>
> > > WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
> > coming  to
> > > because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me
away,
> > ha ha!

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:08:29 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?
SP5 on the IDE, SP2 on W2K.

    Hans

Quote:
> What Service Pack are you runnning?

> Sean

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:08:50 GMT
 Have you ever had a vb form file suddenly revert to an earlier version with no source control?

Quote:

>      I am the only person working on this system.  The only way somebody
> could've done this was to be malicious, but I highly doubt that.  Virus
> scanned like crazy, and we have a very secure firewall...  I'll check about
> a daemon type application.

How long had the VS IDE been continuously running?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  DC8s in Spaace: <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 04:06:26 GMT

1. VB.NET comes as close to having pointers as VB ever has

2. VB.NET app does not run on OS having .NET redistributable files installed

3. DBASE III- having problems reading dBASE files to VB

4. user having problem with versions

5. Having MDI form with MDI Child form in DLL

6. Random access files - having and finding multiple types of record in one file

7. Having VB list all the DLLs used by that same VB app

8. Having trouble connecting after closing and opening new form...Help

9. Having trouble calling routines from another form

10. Having multiple forms

11. Alternative ways of having multiple forms.

12. Having a custom control stretch off of the form