ComboBox bug in Win2000??
Author Message
 ComboBox bug in Win2000??

Hi,

The VB ComboBox behaves differently in Win2000. If you set
the ComboBox's TabStop property in its GotFocus event (set
TabStop = True or False), you will have to click on the
ComboBox 3 times to get it to drop down! If you run the
same code in a WinNT machine it doesn't have this problem.
What is the workaround to this? Is there a fix for the
ComboBox??

Thank you,
Agnes

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:02:10 GMT
 ComboBox bug in Win2000??
Hi.

Though I cannot imagine why you need to change the TabStop
when the ComboBox gets focus, I will try to give a
workaround.

The behaviour you describe only occurs if you use the
mouse to dropdown the list when the ComboBox doesn't have
the focus, it not occurs if you use the keyboard or if you
first give the focus to the ComboBox (clicking anywhere
except the downarrow). Looks like this happens because in
that case (using the mouse to dropdown when the ComboBox
doesn't have the focus) the DropDown event occurs before
the GotFocus event, and changing the TabStop during the
GotFocus seems to cancel the DropDown action.

Adding 'Combo1.SetFocus' after changing the TabStop in the
GotFocus event reduces the number of clicks from 3 to 2.
So we still have work to be done, no? I cannot remember
now, but there was an API call to invoke the DropDown of a
ComboBox (SendMessage with certain parameters, I think);
maybe calling that API after setting the focus will do the
final reduction to only 1 click.

Another tip, but I don't know if it can be useful since,
as I said before, I don't understand the purpose of what
you want: if you move the TabStop change to the DropDown
event, only 1 click is required.

Hope this helps,

   Adrian

confers no rights.

Quote:

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:39:55 GMT

1. combobox win2000 - no cursor

2. Win2000 File Share Mapping bug

3. OutputDebugString Bug in Win2000

4. GetPrivateProfileString - bug under Win2000

5. Win2000 File Share Mapping bug

6. Cursor bug with combobox ??!

7. BUG: ComboBox as the first control on an UserControl

8. Bug in ComboBox

9. Bound ComboBox "Bug"?

10. Non-bugged combobox in DataGrid?

11. ComboBox Bugs