Problem msComm - CommPort
Author Message
 Problem msComm - CommPort

   Dim Instring As String
   MSComm1.CommPort = 10
   MSComm1.Settings = "300,N,8,1"
   MSComm1.InputLen = 0
   MSComm1.PortOpen = True

Why can I access maximum 16 ports on my PC, i have in total 18 serial ports.

I've tested with Hyperterminal and I receive data on port 17 and 18

Using Visual Basic Enterprise Serpice Pack 5

Bart Goossens
R&D

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:14:41 GMT
 Problem msComm - CommPort
The limitation is MSComm. A few years ago I worked on a project where we
needed 40 ports. We used PDQComm, but I'm not sure if it's still around or
even the name of the company. Maybe someone else in here can answer that.

Rocky Clark

Quote:
>    Dim Instring As String
>    MSComm1.CommPort = 10
>    MSComm1.Settings = "300,N,8,1"
>    MSComm1.InputLen = 0
>    MSComm1.PortOpen = True

> Why can I access maximum 16 ports on my PC, i have in total 18 serial
ports.

> I've tested with Hyperterminal and I receive data on port 17 and 18

> Using Visual Basic Enterprise Serpice Pack 5

> Bart Goossens
> R&D

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:01:40 GMT
 Problem msComm - CommPort
Hi,

MSComm is limited to 16-ports (Com1-Com16).  That is the way it is designed.
I know of no way to overcome this limitation.  However, third part products
(like Sax Comm Objects, www.saxsoft.com) have no such limitation.

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 01:10:54 GMT

1. Problem msComm - CommPort

2. Problem msComm - CommPort

3. Problem msComm - CommPort

4. Problem reading MsComm CommPort Property

5. CommPort Property of MSComm control

6. MSCOMM CommPort limited to 16?

7. Help Needed : MSComm - Limited Commport Availability

8. Closeing CommPort 3 using a Button

9. Commport in VB 3.0

10. Need Serial CommPort interface code!!

11. Conrolling CommPorts

12. How do I send ASCII characters using CommPort