VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)
Author Message
 VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)

I'm having two problems with VB6, SP5 right now.  I've
seen another post concerning my first problem.  In XP
Professional, I get an error when closing out of VB.  I
went to the Add-In manager and made sure nothing was
loaded at start-up, and that didn't help.

I also run into another problem on both NT 4 and XP in
VB6 (SP5).  When I set a break point and run the project,
sometimes the breakpoint will not be hit when I know it
should (even in the Webclass_start procedure).  The only
solution I can find to this is to reboot the machine.

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:41:55 GMT
 VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)
I am running virtually every flavor of OS with VB 6 sp5.
Never have I run into this problem.  Can't say that I
believe its an OS/IDE issue.  It's got to be either your
code or a third party OCX/DLL that you're referencing.

D.

| I'm having two problems with VB6, SP5 right now.  I've
| seen another post concerning my first problem.  In XP
| Professional, I get an error when closing out of VB.  I
| went to the Add-In manager and made sure nothing was
| loaded at start-up, and that didn't help.
|
| I also run into another problem on both NT 4 and XP in
| VB6 (SP5).  When I set a break point and run the project,
| sometimes the breakpoint will not be hit when I know it
| should (even in the Webclass_start procedure).  The only
| solution I can find to this is to reboot the machine.

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:21:47 GMT
 VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)
You may have a point on my problem with the breakpoints,
but it is a strange scenario.  When I run the code I'm
working on, a breakpoint will not be hit.  If I create a
new IIS application in a second VB session, set a break
point in the default WebClass_Start code, it hits that
break point.  Then, I can switch back to my code and it
will hit the break point and I can debug.  Once I finish
running through the code, I have to go back to the dummy
project and hit that break point again to be able to
debug the real code again, etc.. etc..

However, on the crash when exiting VB, this happens every
time whether I have a project loaded or not.  It errors
when I close my dummy IIS project even though I never
touch the code.

Quote:

Quote:
>| I'm having two problems with VB6, SP5 right now.  I've
>| seen another post concerning my first problem.  In XP
>| Professional, I get an error when closing out of VB.  I
>| went to the Add-In manager and made sure nothing was
>| loaded at start-up, and that didn't help.
>|
>| I also run into another problem on both NT 4 and XP in
>| VB6 (SP5).  When I set a break point and run the
project,
>| sometimes the breakpoint will not be hit when I know it
>| should (even in the Webclass_start procedure).  The
only
>| solution I can find to this is to reboot the machine.

>.

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:54:27 GMT
 VB6 crash on exit (XP), won't hit breakpoint (NT/XP)
ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT the web server
is using your code???  I'm willing to bet that its using
the compiled DLL...

First unregister EVERY instance of the DLL from the box.
Then delete or atleast change the extension of every copy
of the DLL on the box.

Then run the code and let me know if the break point gets hit.

If you still don't hit the breakpoint, close VB, go to the
registry editor and physically rip any reference to your classes
from the registry.  Export the keys if you feel safety minded...
Then rip them out...

Then try it again...

:-)

D.

| You may have a point on my problem with the breakpoints,
| but it is a strange scenario.  When I run the code I'm
| working on, a breakpoint will not be hit.  If I create a
| new IIS application in a second VB session, set a break
| point in the default WebClass_Start code, it hits that
| break point.  Then, I can switch back to my code and it
| will hit the break point and I can debug.  Once I finish
| running through the code, I have to go back to the dummy
| project and hit that break point again to be able to
| debug the real code again, etc.. etc..
|
| However, on the crash when exiting VB, this happens every
| time whether I have a project loaded or not.  It errors
| when I close my dummy IIS project even though I never
| touch the code.

Quote:

| >|
| >| I also run into another problem on both NT 4 and XP in
| >| VB6 (SP5).  When I set a break point and run the
| project,
| >| sometimes the breakpoint will not be hit when I know it
| >| should (even in the Webclass_start procedure).  The
| only
| >| solution I can find to this is to reboot the machine.
| >

| >.

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:40:09 GMT

1. VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle

2. VB6 Scrollbar control doesn't render in XP with new XP stlyle

3. VB6, Win XP, and strange .DLL behavior - R/T 429 Can't create object

4. IDE Crashes on Exit in Windows XP

5. Different results Format() Win XP and Win NT

6. Moving VB6 projects from Win Me to Win XP

7. PPC Emulator crashes Win XP - Help!

8. VB6 - Excel Export compiled under XP causes crash under W98

9. XP and VB6 Data Environment crashing

10. VB6 crashes when trying to add controls in Windows XP

11. VB6 App & XP = Crash

12. Is VB6 compatible with Win XP?