monitor size from the Registry
Author Message
 monitor size from the Registry

How can I find the monitor size from the Registry?

Thanks.

Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:34:11 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Quote:
> How can I find the monitor size from the Registry?

You could only find that if the particular driver that is installed sizes
the physical monitor and records the result.  i'd be really surprised to
find one that does and even more surprised if it turned out to be accurate.

Why do you want this?  Maybe somebody can suggest an alternative if you
provide more details.

Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:16:28 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry
I can click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, Settings, and
get this "HP [******] Pavilion M[**] Monitor on Intel(R) [***] Chipset
Graphics Driver". I can go further and click on Advanced, Monitor, and
get this HP [******] Pavilion M[**] Monitor. Then I can click on
Version, Advanced Diagnostics, and get this "Intel(R) Graphics
Diagnostic Utility" and then clicking on Monitor I get this
"General information"
"Display type: Analogue, RGB"
"Serial number: [********]"
"Gamma value: 2.8"
"Maximum image size"
"Horizontal: 10.6 in" <-This is what I want VB6 to find.
"Vertical: 7.9 in" <- This is what I want VB6 to find.

According to the diagnostic utility help for Maximum Image Size
"Function:  Lists the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the
largest image that the screen can fully display."

Now that I have told you were I found this, can you please tell me how
to get VB6 to get this on its own?

Thanks,
James.

Quote:

> > How can I find the monitor size from the Registry?

> You could only find that if the particular driver that is installed sizes
> the physical monitor and records the result.  i'd be really surprised to
> find one that does and even more surprised if it turned out to be accurate.

> Why do you want this?  Maybe somebody can suggest an alternative if you
> provide more details.

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:26:48 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Quote:

> How can I find the monitor size from the Registry?

There might not be a generic way to do this.  If you find a way that
works on your system, it might work only on systems using the exact
same display drivers you're using.  On one desktop system here, the
monitor size is embedded in the driver name, while another seems to
have no idea what monitor is attached, and my notebook is in 800 x
480 mode, with no real idea what the size of the display is anyway.
If you're really trying to display an inch square, you'll also have
to contend with overscan and poorly tuned monitor settings.  If you
know what "color calibration" is, you'll know something about what
you might be in for.  You're just boned.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:14:12 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry
Khann,

The best solution I can find is to use the Win32 API GetDeviceCaps you can
pull the definition of this API in using the API viewer  - something like:

Declare ... GetDeviceCaps(hdc As Long, nIndex As Long) As Long

The first param must be the display context of any form or control on the
screen and the values for nIndex are the constants HORZSIZE (4) and VERTSIZE
(6). The size is returned in millimeters.

HTH,

Rob

Quote:
> I can click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, Settings, and
> get this "HP [******] Pavilion M[**] Monitor on Intel(R) [***] Chipset
> Graphics Driver". I can go further and click on Advanced, Monitor, and
> get this HP [******] Pavilion M[**] Monitor. Then I can click on
> Version, Advanced Diagnostics, and get this "Intel(R) Graphics
> Diagnostic Utility" and then clicking on Monitor I get this
> "General information"
> "Display type: Analogue, RGB"
> "Serial number: [********]"
> "Gamma value: 2.8"
> "Maximum image size"
> "Horizontal: 10.6 in" <-This is what I want VB6 to find.
> "Vertical: 7.9 in" <- This is what I want VB6 to find.

> According to the diagnostic utility help for Maximum Image Size
> "Function:  Lists the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the
> largest image that the screen can fully display."

> Now that I have told you were I found this, can you please tell me how
> to get VB6 to get this on its own?

> Thanks,
> James.

> > > How can I find the monitor size from the Registry?

> > You could only find that if the particular driver that is installed
sizes
> > the physical monitor and records the result.  i'd be really surprised to
> > find one that does and even more surprised if it turned out to be
accurate.

> > Why do you want this?  Maybe somebody can suggest an alternative if you
> > provide more details.

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:09:43 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 monitor size from the Registry
Thanks, Rob. I am studying that and trying to get it to work.

Ok, here is another way to look at it. I go to Control Panel, System,
Device Manager, Monitors, and there it is.
   "HP D[*****] Pavilion M[**] Monitor. <-This is what I want.
If I double click on this, then General, I get the same but with
   Device type: Monitors; <-This is also what I want.
   Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard; <-This is also what I want.
   Hardware version: Not available. <-This is also what I want.
It also shows (under the Driver tab) the monitor name and type again.

So, how can I get VB6 to find this so that I can place this info into
a listbox? Can someone at least tell me that?

Thanks,
James.

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:40:42 GMT

1. Size Word window for different monitor sizes and resolutions

2. Form Size and different sized monitors in VB4.0

3. Picture size on Form for different monitor size

4. Sizing forms for users with different monitor size

5. Anyway to monitor for a registry change in VBA

6. Monitor size and the MDE

7. Form Size and Different Monitors

8. Problems with window size on a multi-monitor system

9. monitor screen size

10. fitting other sized monitors

11. Detecting Monitor Size?

12. Forms with Different Sized monitors in VB4.0