"Error loading from file" error message
Author Message
 "Error loading from file" error message

I have a VB4/16 bit application that has stopped working on
several PC's.

It's a fairly typical app using Jet to maintain an access .MDB.  The only
third party controls are FarPoint's ListPro and Crescent's PDQCOMM.

The error message "Error loading from file" tells me nothing.

I put in a MsgBox as the first statement in the main form's load event, and
it's not getting that far....

How can I find out what the problem is?

Helmar B. Herman

Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error loading from file" error message

Check the license files if they are in proper place.

Quote:
>I have a VB4/16 bit application that has stopped working on
>several PC's.

>It's a fairly typical app using Jet to maintain an access .MDB.  The only
>third party controls are FarPoint's ListPro and Crescent's PDQCOMM.

>The error message "Error loading from file" tells me nothing.

>I put in a MsgBox as the first statement in the main form's load event, and
>it's not getting that far....

>How can I find out what the problem is?

>Helmar B. Herman

Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error loading from file" error message

This problem is simple to fix when you know what to do .... :)

First Step...
        Check on the client machine if you are able to succesfully register the
ocx`s   used in your app. You can do that by lauching the ocx`s with
regsvr.exe
        I am pretty sure that this registration will fail
Second Step...
        Create a setup wizard of your app and make sure that the dll included in
this setup are the same as in the development machine
        Copy those dll ,or do a setup of you app on the client machine.

THIRD STEP !!!
        Because Microsoft do not understand is own crap...you have to register the
ocx`s again ...
        You know why...

        Some ocx needs some dll to be register properly but the setup wizard will
register the dlls and ocx in a random order...
        Look at setup.lst.......
        So some ocx are registered before the dlls needed are registered
        Thats why you have to register the ocx again!....even if the wizard does
it

Quote:
> I have a VB4/16 bit application that has stopped working on
> several PC's.

> It's a fairly typical app using Jet to maintain an access .MDB.  The only
> third party controls are FarPoint's ListPro and Crescent's PDQCOMM.

> The error message "Error loading from file" tells me nothing.

> I put in a MsgBox as the first statement in the main form's load event,
and
> it's not getting that far....

> How can I find out what the problem is?

> Helmar B. Herman

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error loading from file" error message

This may be true in some cases, but in general, +ADw-registration+AD4- of one object
does not depend on registration of another. Granted, if there are supporting
DLLs in the executable code sense, they need to be available. But
registration alone does not depend on and dependent files. I found this out
when creating a 4-level hierarchy of objects, each in its own DLL. (An OCX
has a reference to an ActiveX DLL, which has a reference to an ActiveX DLL,
etc.), and I found that the OCX will register just fine without any of its
dependencies. (Runtime is a different story). All that registration really
does is put an entry for a component into the registry. As long as all
supporting DLLs for the executable code exist, the component should
successfully register.
Since the app was working before, I suspect some DLL was overwritten with an
older version, a corrupted one, etc. Get a copy of depends.exe from the MSDN
CD and run it on the systems where the app fails. It might help pinpoint the
problem.
--
Jonas
TRION Technologies (www.trion.com)

+AD4-
+AD4- Some ocx needs some dll to be register properly but the setup wizard will
+AD4-register the dlls and ocx in a random order...
+AD4- Look at setup.lst.......
+AD4- So some ocx are registered before the dlls needed are registered
+AD4- Thats why you have to register the ocx again+ACE-....even if the wizard does
+AD4-it
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-Helmar Herman +ADw-hherman+AEA-bottomline.com+AD4- wrote in article
+AD4APA-01bd22b4+ACQ-8e60ad00+ACQ-0b9229cf+AEA-HBH-AST.bottomline.com+AD4-...
+AD4APg- I have a VB4/16 bit application that has stopped working on
+AD4APg- several PC's.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- It's a fairly typical app using Jet to maintain an access .MDB.  The only
+AD4APg- third party controls are FarPoint's ListPro and Crescent's PDQCOMM.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- The error message +ACI-Error loading from file+ACI- tells me nothing.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- I put in a MsgBox as the first statement in the main form's load event,
+AD4-and
+AD4APg- it's not getting that far....
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- How can I find out what the problem is?
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- Helmar B. Herman
+AD4APg- hherman+AEA-bottomline.com
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error message : "Error in loading DLL"

2. "Error loading from file" message

3. "Error Loading from file"

4. Help: "Cannot load from file" error

5. "Error loading from file"...

6. "Error loading from file" problem

7. 31037 "error loading from file"

8. Setupwiz, "Error loading file"

9. Error Message "Too Many Files" Random

10. Tracking down "Error opening file" message

11. "load report failed" Error

12. "Could not load type..." error