Overwritten project files
Author Message
 Overwritten project files

In both DevStudio/VB 5.0 and 6.0, I have several times renamed projects and
stored them away, intending to have generated a test-variant of an initial
program, only to find that the original was also updated and basically wiped
out.  If I had not backed up separately ahead of time it would have been
lost completely. The rename-names were the "root" name with just one or two
characters added at the end.

This seems like a very routine issue.  I suppose if you use a completely
different name it would be OK, but the idea is to identify variants off the
same root name.  Is there something I'm missing, or what?

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Overwritten project files

Quote:

>In both DevStudio/VB 5.0 and 6.0, I have several times renamed projects and
>stored them away, intending to have generated a test-variant of an initial
>program, only to find that the original was also updated and basically
wiped
>out.  If I had not backed up separately ahead of time it would have been
>lost completely. The rename-names were the "root" name with just one or two
>characters added at the end.

<cut>

a VB project consists of several files: a VBP and the various frm, cls, bas
and other items.  If you look at the VBP using a text editor you'll see that
it contains the names of all the other components in the project.  When you
use 'Save Project As' or just copy and rename a VBP file what you end up
with is another file that contains paths to all the same components.  When
you make changes you are changing the same files.

To copy a VB project you need to use 'Save File As' for every component in
the project and then use 'Save Project As' to create a new VBP file with the
new paths.  You can then re-open the old project name to work with the
original info.  It's a royal pain.

If the components are all in the same directory as the VBP you can sometimes
get away with just copying the entire directory since the paths are stored
using a relative format.  Be careful though because if any reference is not
what you think you might shoot yourself in the foot.

If you have SourceSafe, or another versioning control package, a lot of this
becomes automatic since those packages allow you to return to earlier
versions.

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Overwritten project files
Tom...

Quote:
>In both DevStudio/VB 5.0 and 6.0, I have several times renamed projects and
>stored them away, intending to have generated a test-variant of an initial
>program, only to find that the original was also updated and basically wiped
>out.

The "Save Project As..." option *only* resaves the VBP file as a different
filename -- it has nothing to do with the rest of the project files, such as
forms, classes, etc. You need to do a "Save File As..." manually on each of the
project files to fully duplicate the project.

--
Ben Baird, MVP
Microsoft SiteBuilder Network Level 2

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Overwritten project files
Tom...

Quote:
>In both DevStudio/VB 5.0 and 6.0, I have several times renamed projects and
>stored them away, intending to have generated a test-variant of an initial
>program, only to find that the original was also updated and basically wiped
>out.

The "Save Project As..." option *only* resaves the VBP file as a different
filename -- it has nothing to do with the rest of the project files, such as
forms, classes, etc. You need to do a "Save File As..." manually on each of the
project files to fully duplicate the project.

--
Ben Baird, MVP
Microsoft SiteBuilder Network Level 2
Visual Basic Thunder, v. 2.0
http://www.{*filter*}highway.com/~psy/
Common Controls Replacement Project, Official Member
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Please direct your programming questions to the newsgroups.

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS Project Macro - Overwrite Command

2. overwrite file?

3. writing to file without overwriting text already there?

4. overwrite file??

5. overwrite file??

6. Overwriting a file

7. File Overwrite Problems <-- VIRUS ATTACHED!

8. File Overwrite Problems

9. Overwriting Exisiting Excel File w/SaveAs

10. File does not overwrite

11. Overwriting line in a text file

12. Copy files without overwrite