IDE crashes when viewing form in design mode 
Author Message
 IDE crashes when viewing form in design mode

Hi,

I don't know if this is the best place for this since the forms also use 3rd
party controls, but here goes.

I am converting a VB4 16 bit app to VB6. The project is large (around 200K
lines including comments probably 160k code). It uses the Crescent
CSComboBox, CSVList, and CSCalendar controls and all of the old Sheridan 3d
controls. It also uses TrueGrid Pro but that control is a vbx and gets
dropped when I load the project. The main thrust of the project was to
replace the grids with MS grids and bring the app up to 32 bit, then work on
improving its performance.

The Crescent controls are all version 4.10

I made a new project and have been bringing in modules and forms one at a
time. I have started with forms that do not use TrueGrid and go through them
fixing API calls etc. After I clean up a new form, I comment out the code
that calls other forms not yet in the project.

Now for the bug. The codes runs fine and all of the forms (so far in the
project) work fine. The code compiles and it runs fine standalone. Two of
the forms have stopped working in design mode. They still work in run mode.
Both forms have data controls, sheridan controls and crescent controls on
them. When I started working on them I could view them in design mode. Now I
can still view their code, but when I try to open the form in design mode,
the IDE crashes with errors in referencing various memory locations. I have
tried removing and reinstalling the forms in the project. I have even
removed them from the project and gotten clean 16 bit copies and reloaded
them in case some of my code was causing the problem. No joy. I rebuilt the
system from scratch and have no extra programs loaded except Office2K. Still
no joy. This is getting old fast.

I am running VB6sp5 on NT4.0sp6 with Office2k installed. I also have VB4 16
and VB4 32 loaded to allow me to add the Crescent controls (for some reason
I could not add them through regsvr32). I suspect the problem has something
to do with the Crescent controls but since they were bought by Sax, their
web site leaves a little to be desired info wise.

Thanks

Tom Harbin



Wed, 08 Sep 2004 06:24:18 GMT  
 IDE crashes when viewing form in design mode
More info on the problem and a change.

One of the forms has started working again for no apparent reason. I made no
changes to it. The other form now exhibits even more onerous symptoms. It
now will not allow any code changes. It crashes the IDE if I even comment a
line in the module and try to do a save.

It is a system that I have used for VB6 development for the past several
years with no IDE crashes that I can remember. I checked the ownership of
all of the forms and modules in the project. I updated to VB6sp5. I upgraded
to MDAC 2.6. I rebuilt the system from scratch. I have scoured the vb
newsgroups looking for similar problems. I am running out of ideas.

Any ideas on where I can look for a fix. It is costing me enormous amounts
of time.

Thanks

Tom Harbin


Quote:
> Hi,

> I don't know if this is the best place for this since the forms also use
3rd
> party controls, but here goes.

> I am converting a VB4 16 bit app to VB6. The project is large (around 200K
> lines including comments probably 160k code). It uses the Crescent
> CSComboBox, CSVList, and CSCalendar controls and all of the old Sheridan
3d
> controls. It also uses TrueGrid Pro but that control is a vbx and gets
> dropped when I load the project. The main thrust of the project was to
> replace the grids with MS grids and bring the app up to 32 bit, then work
on
> improving its performance.

> The Crescent controls are all version 4.10

> I made a new project and have been bringing in modules and forms one at a
> time. I have started with forms that do not use TrueGrid and go through
them
> fixing API calls etc. After I clean up a new form, I comment out the code
> that calls other forms not yet in the project.

> Now for the bug. The codes runs fine and all of the forms (so far in the
> project) work fine. The code compiles and it runs fine standalone. Two of
> the forms have stopped working in design mode. They still work in run
mode.
> Both forms have data controls, sheridan controls and crescent controls on
> them. When I started working on them I could view them in design mode. Now
I
> can still view their code, but when I try to open the form in design mode,
> the IDE crashes with errors in referencing various memory locations. I
have
> tried removing and reinstalling the forms in the project. I have even
> removed them from the project and gotten clean 16 bit copies and reloaded
> them in case some of my code was causing the problem. No joy. I rebuilt
the
> system from scratch and have no extra programs loaded except Office2K.
Still
> no joy. This is getting old fast.

> I am running VB6sp5 on NT4.0sp6 with Office2k installed. I also have VB4
16
> and VB4 32 loaded to allow me to add the Crescent controls (for some
reason
> I could not add them through regsvr32). I suspect the problem has
something
> to do with the Crescent controls but since they were bought by Sax, their
> web site leaves a little to be desired info wise.

> Thanks

> Tom Harbin



Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:46:14 GMT  
 IDE crashes when viewing form in design mode

Quote:

> More info on the problem and a change.

> One of the forms has started working again for no apparent reason. I made no
> changes to it. The other form now exhibits even more onerous symptoms. It
> now will not allow any code changes. It crashes the IDE if I even comment a
> line in the module and try to do a save.

Most VB source files are plain text, so you could open up
the .FRM files with Notepad and look for anything hinky.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans? <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!



Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:47:39 GMT  
 IDE crashes when viewing form in design mode



Quote:

> > More info on the problem and a change.

> > One of the forms has started working again for no apparent reason. I
made no
> > changes to it. The other form now exhibits even more onerous symptoms.
It
> > now will not allow any code changes. It crashes the IDE if I even
comment a
> > line in the module and try to do a save.

> Most VB source files are plain text, so you could open up
> the .FRM files with Notepad and look for anything hinky.

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans?

<http://www.xenu.net/>

Quote:
> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply, I thought of that last night and tried some
experiments. I opened a new project and added four forms to it, the two
'bad' forms and two good forms that use the same controls. The IDE crashes
if I try to open the bad forms in design view, edit the code, or save the
project. This anomoly is new and has caused me to remove the forms from the
main project until I figure this out (or more likely, someone shows me the
error of my ways). I have looked at the forms in text mode and can edit and
save code changes that way. I have looked at the object references for the
controls and they seem to be the same although there are a lot of them and I
could have missed something. When I go back to the IDE, the code changes are
there but I still cannot edit in the IDE or open the form in design view.

I loaded up mztools and tried an experiment. When I try to run Statistics or
Review Source Code, the IDE crashes when mztools gets to one of the forms.
the first error thrown is a Priveledged Instruction error in all cases.

The system was rebuilt and the OS brought to WindowsNT Workstation 4.0 sp6a
before I loaded VB onto it. I have applied no security patches since the
rebuild.

I know I said one of the forms started working. It still does. The reference
to TWO forms is that another form I have added to the project is 'bad' as
well. Three others I added the same day are fine.

Thanks again

Tom Harbin



Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:21:06 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VB6 IDE Crashes on Design Mode

2. Problems viewing forms in design mode

3. custom form control: Cannot view design view of forms that inherit this form

4. IDE crashes in debug mode

5. Winint crashes VB IDE in debug-mode - Help

6. Setting Properties - Design View vs Form View

7. Can't open VB.NET form in design view (only get code view)

8. IDE Mode vs Runtime Mode

9. VB6 Form In Modal Mode Brings IDE To Top

10. GPF in Krnl386.exe crashes VB5 IDE on unload of MDI child form

11. ide crash/form not found

12. VB6 SP5 IDE Crashing when opening form (IPF)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software