VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Author Message
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly

Once we get the {*filter*}y new MSCOMCTL.OCX, VB wants to upgrade our project to
this new version. That would be fine if it actually worked. The project file
gets changed, but not forms. the forms must be changed by hand.

This sucks, to put it nicely. how do get we get this fixed?

I reported this problem when Microsoft first slipped out this new control,
but no one would respond.

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Did you look in the Microsoft knowledge base on their web page? There's an
answer to your question there... That's the first place I look!

Quote:

>Once we get the {*filter*}y new MSCOMCTL.OCX, VB wants to upgrade our project to
>this new version. That would be fine if it actually worked. The project
file
>gets changed, but not forms. the forms must be changed by hand.

>This sucks, to put it nicely. how do get we get this fixed?

>I reported this problem when Microsoft first slipped out this new control,
>but no one would respond.

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
OK, so the tech doc says to pick yes and upgrade. so, of course, I had
picked yes and it didn't work. that is why i'm writing here. VB6 chokes and
doesn't even change the control listing in the VBP file, and worse yet, the
FRM needs the control listing and the object name changed, which also
doesn't happen. Picking yes seems to be a non-op.

Let's start over. I've been jamming with VB since VB2.  I won't write here
unless it is serious. This was a problem when the controls first got
released in beta form and no one would respond to my postings. VB5 and VB6
choke. the worst problem, again, was the object name change, which kills
ever object reference in the FRM.

Are you telling me that this is just not a problem and it works perfectly.
You've actually tried it going from a VB5 COMCTL32 to VB6 MSCOMCTL?

thanks for you help and responding so quickly!! (sincerely)

found doc at:
http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/devprods/vs6/vb/html/vbconu...
gapplicationsthatusewindowscommoncontrols.htm

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
I haven't tried this myself, but you might want to try this...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/download.asp?ID=088

Hope this helps.

--
Michael A. Litscher
Director of Software Engineering

http://www.colormetrix.com

Phone: 414.820.1131
Fax:   414.820.1148

To send me email, remove the leading
nospam_  from my email address.

Quote:

>OK, so the tech doc says to pick yes and upgrade. so, of course, I had
>picked yes and it didn't work. that is why i'm writing here. VB6 chokes and
>doesn't even change the control listing in the VBP file, and worse yet, the
>FRM needs the control listing and the object name changed, which also
>doesn't happen. Picking yes seems to be a non-op.

>Let's start over. I've been jamming with VB since VB2.  I won't write here
>unless it is serious. This was a problem when the controls first got
>released in beta form and no one would respond to my postings. VB5 and VB6
>choke. the worst problem, again, was the object name change, which kills
>ever object reference in the FRM.

>Are you telling me that this is just not a problem and it works perfectly.
>You've actually tried it going from a VB5 COMCTL32 to VB6 MSCOMCTL?

>thanks for you help and responding so quickly!! (sincerely)

>found doc at:
>http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/devprods/vs6/vb/html/vbconu...
>gapplicationsthatusewindowscommoncontrols.htm

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
We always changed the forms by hand sadly enough... or edit the file with
the offending object number and change that to what it needs to be.

I do not think there is another way to do this.

Tony

Quote:

>Once we get the {*filter*}y new MSCOMCTL.OCX, VB wants to upgrade our project to
>this new version. That would be fine if it actually worked. The project
file
>gets changed, but not forms. the forms must be changed by hand.

>This sucks, to put it nicely. how do get we get this fixed?

>I reported this problem when Microsoft first slipped out this new control,
>but no one would respond.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Yeah, it's a pain: you have to do it by hand.  There ought to be a KB
article on it -- I've got a title ("TITLE: HOWTO: Upgrade Project to Use
the New MSCCOMCTL.OCX in VB6"), but no Q number or URL and a search just
now failed to find it, but you already know what it says: do it by hand.

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP

Quote:
> Once we get the {*filter*}y new MSCOMCTL.OCX, VB wants to upgrade our project
> this new version. That would be fine if it actually worked. The project
file
> gets changed, but not forms. the forms must be changed by hand.

> This sucks, to put it nicely. how do get we get this fixed?

> I reported this problem when Microsoft first slipped out this new
control,
> but no one would respond.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Yes, Jim, you are so right. I have complained about this before and no one
would even address it.

can we get an MVP to get an article posted. EVERYONE must be struggling with
this and I was made to think that I'm the only one.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Thanks much.. this seems to be a tool specifically designed to correct the
bug I reported months ago. This should save me much time on my complicated
projects.

And, this does confirm that this is in fact a bug. Do you know why there is
no MSDN article about it? Would not have been easy to find this code without
an article.

my concern about no article is that this is not yet an admitted bug. so, can
we get it fixed in the 1st service pack. It is really awful that one picks
"yes, convert" and VB only removes the old control.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

?
?can we get an MVP to get an article posted. EVERYONE must be
struggling with
?this and I was made to think that I'm the only one.

The utility isn't documented, but a manual method is documented
instead:

HOWTO: Upgrade Project to Use the New Mscomctl.ocx in VB6
Article ID: Q190952

Paul
~~~~

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
searched for Q190952 in MSDN online and found nothing.

------------------------------------

Quote:

>Is this article you are looking for? Q190952

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
It's in the Knowledge Base section of Support Online.

Eldon

Quote:

>searched for Q190952 in MSDN online and found nothing.

>------------------------------------

>>Is this article you are looking for? Q190952

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
Is this article you are looking for? Q190952

Quote:

>Thanks much.. this seems to be a tool specifically designed to correct the
>bug I reported months ago. This should save me much time on my complicated
>projects.

>And, this does confirm that this is in fact a bug. Do you know why there is
>no MSDN article about it? Would not have been easy to find this code
without
>an article.

>my concern about no article is that this is not yet an admitted bug. so,
can
>we get it fixed in the 1st service pack. It is really awful that one picks
>"yes, convert" and VB only removes the old control.

Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
:can we get an MVP to get an article posted. EVERYONE
:must be struggling with
:this and I was made to think that I'm the only one.

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/dev/vb6/vb6upgrade.htm
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/dev/vb6/vb6upgradeutil.htm

This site is where I always look first <g>.

--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp

Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly
We have found another problem with VB 6 and migrating from VB 5.  We are
currently trying to migrate from VB 5 to VB 6 and having a major problem.
The VB5 project opens just fine in VB 6.  You can run the project and can
compile it with no problems.  The problems raises it head if you want to
change the data source on a bound control.  As soon as you select the
datasource property you get an hourglass.  VB tries to load every form in
the project into memory.  We have a Pentium 300 with 128MB of RAM and it
crashes the computer.  We have talked to Microsoft on the problem and they
say it is a known bug.  They have had several solutions, for which none of
them work.  Their last solution is to rebuild all forms in the project.  We
have 6 large projects with hundreds of forms, this is NOT possible.

Does anyone else have the solution to this problem ????

Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Upgrading comctl32.ocx => comctl.ocx

2. COMCTL32.OCX - Can't share with VB6

3. Dependency Files for comctl32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

4. How to upgrade COMCTL32.OCX ?

5. Vb5 (comctl32.ocx) to vb6 (mscomctl.ocx)

6. UPgrade to vb6 didn't upgrade common controls

7. Upgrading to 5.0.x.108 from 4.6.1.0 doesn't register OCX correctly

8. 'comctl32.ocx' could not be loaded

9. My projects containg toolbars don't appear Can't find COMCTL32.ocx

10. Component 'RICHT32.OCX' not correctly registered

11. function doesn't get called correctly

12. InStr doesn't work correctly in PowerPoint 97