Unexpected error 50003 
Author Message
 Unexpected error 50003

Yesterday, I could run a compiled Visual Basic 5.0 version project. But,
today when I execute the same project after compiling some modification, and
when I try to load a form I get "50003 unexpected error".....

Some notes specify that this error is related to "GIF's" in my form, but
this is not the case........

Does anybody have an idea of what is going wrong....

Please help, thanks



Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:52:53 GMT  
 Unexpected error 50003
The 50003 error is a real pip, ain't it?  It has several possible causes.
The only documented one I know about has something to do with gif files.
More often, it's caused by having mismatched/out-of-date system files.

The OLE*.DLL files are the first suspects.  Check the versions on the bad
machines vs. the good ones.  Try downloading VBRUN60.EXE from the MS
website: it doesn't install the _latest_ versions, but at least it's a
matched set!

Also watch out for Comcat.dll version 5.0.  This seems to break most
systems.  Going back to v4.71 generally seems to make things OK again.

(thanks to Ted Swirsky for the following info):
VB5 ships with DAO350.DLL version 3.50.3602.0 which is used for some
database access.

If you install VB6 or Visual Interdev 6 on your machine, you will be
upgraded to version 3.51.1608.0.   This version requires EXPSRV.DLL which
the earlier version does not.

If you use the VB5 application wizard it will distribute the 3.51 version
but NOT the EXPSRV.DLL file.  When installed on another machine without VB6
or VI6, the DAO350.DLL is overwritten with version 3.51 but they do not get
the EXPSRV.DLL.  Now they may get error 50003 for this application and the
same or other errors for many existing applications using DAO350.DLL.

To fix the problem, try copying EXPSRV.DLL to win\sys folder or overwriting
DAO350.DLL with the 3.50 version.

(from Jeff
Bryant) :

Error 50003 : FIXED !  DIBENG.DLL

Thanks to all the replies and previous post about the elusive Error
50003 unexpected error.  We got this error while trying to load the
first form of the application, and it would hose up memory.  Worked fine
on Win98 and NT, and seemed to work OK on Win95 with Office97.

We tried all the ideas about comctl32.DLL, OCXs, GIFs (as described on
the microsoft web site for this error code).  Still did not work.

We were finally able to isolate it down to the form graphics (jpegs).
It only happened on the test machines which had low end video cards, and
we had 256 color jpeg graphics.  The reason Office97 made it work was
that when it runs the Office Assistant it loads DIBENG.DLL into memory.
Which as I understand is a "device independent bitmap" graphics
engine/driver.

Our solution was to save our graphics as DIB files, which when loaded
automatically loads the DIBENG.DLL and the graphics are automatically
set according to the video capability.

(from Vinnie Murdico)

Well, here's YET ANOTHER CAUSE for the 50003 error:

I had a control that called an API function, and the API function was
supported by both Win 95 and Win NT4.  On Win NT 4, it issued a 50003 error.
It turned out (on some occasions) I needed to pass an empty string from VB
as one of the parameters to the API call (which draws text on a given device
context).  It turns out that under 95, I could pass empty string, and the
length parameter as zero, and it worked fine.  But under NT4, it failed.  I
endedup bypassing the call if the string was empty.  That seemed to work
fine on both OS's.

I guess this (and all the other messages here) proves that 50003 really is a
"catch-all"!

(from Todd Augsburger
AllMax Professional Solutions)
If you are getting an "Unexpected Runtime Error - 50003" in conjunction with
TABCTL32.OCX SSTab (or COMCTL32.OCX) or similar controls, here's a
definitive answer to a definite bug that we have researched over a period of
two long weeks.

The bug:
Certain versions of OLEPRO32.DLL (e.g. ver 4.0.5254) self-register
incorrectly, putting themselves in the "Standard Picture" CLSID where
OLEAUT32.DLL is supposed to be registered. If OLEAUT32.DLL is not
re-registered after this event, the registry is left with incorrect
information, and controls such as TABCTL32 do NOT load, and display Error
50003 when attempted.

The solution:
Make sure that in your install you re-register OLEAUT32.DLL, regardless of
whether you installed a new copy or not. This will register it properly and
overwrite the bad info with the good. Or do it by hand from the run line:
REGSVR32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL

And a web site:

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errors.htm#ERRORSVB1

Good luck!

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP


Quote:
> Yesterday, I could run a compiled Visual Basic 5.0 version project. But,
> today when I execute the same project after compiling some modification,
and
> when I try to load a form I get "50003 unexpected error".....

> Some notes specify that this error is related to "GIF's" in my form, but
> this is not the case........

> Does anybody have an idea of what is going wrong....

> Please help, thanks



Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:46:42 GMT  
 Unexpected error 50003
Thanks for the information, just one question, How can a see the version of
the different files that you specified?

After knowing the way to see the version, what do I have to do? The files on
the good machine, do I copy them to the bad machine?

Thanks again


Quote:
> The 50003 error is a real pip, ain't it?  It has several possible causes.
> The only documented one I know about has something to do with gif files.
> More often, it's caused by having mismatched/out-of-date system files.

> The OLE*.DLL files are the first suspects.  Check the versions on the bad
> machines vs. the good ones.  Try downloading VBRUN60.EXE from the MS
> website: it doesn't install the _latest_ versions, but at least it's a
> matched set!

> Also watch out for Comcat.dll version 5.0.  This seems to break most
> systems.  Going back to v4.71 generally seems to make things OK again.

> (thanks to Ted Swirsky for the following info):
> VB5 ships with DAO350.DLL version 3.50.3602.0 which is used for some
> database access.

> If you install VB6 or Visual Interdev 6 on your machine, you will be
> upgraded to version 3.51.1608.0.   This version requires EXPSRV.DLL which
> the earlier version does not.

> If you use the VB5 application wizard it will distribute the 3.51 version
> but NOT the EXPSRV.DLL file.  When installed on another machine without
VB6
> or VI6, the DAO350.DLL is overwritten with version 3.51 but they do not
get
> the EXPSRV.DLL.  Now they may get error 50003 for this application and the
> same or other errors for many existing applications using DAO350.DLL.

> To fix the problem, try copying EXPSRV.DLL to win\sys folder or
overwriting
> DAO350.DLL with the 3.50 version.

> (from Jeff
> Bryant) :

> Error 50003 : FIXED !  DIBENG.DLL

> Thanks to all the replies and previous post about the elusive Error
> 50003 unexpected error.  We got this error while trying to load the
> first form of the application, and it would hose up memory.  Worked fine
> on Win98 and NT, and seemed to work OK on Win95 with Office97.

> We tried all the ideas about comctl32.DLL, OCXs, GIFs (as described on
> the microsoft web site for this error code).  Still did not work.

> We were finally able to isolate it down to the form graphics (jpegs).
> It only happened on the test machines which had low end video cards, and
> we had 256 color jpeg graphics.  The reason Office97 made it work was
> that when it runs the Office Assistant it loads DIBENG.DLL into memory.
> Which as I understand is a "device independent bitmap" graphics
> engine/driver.

> Our solution was to save our graphics as DIB files, which when loaded
> automatically loads the DIBENG.DLL and the graphics are automatically
> set according to the video capability.

> (from Vinnie Murdico)

> Well, here's YET ANOTHER CAUSE for the 50003 error:

> I had a control that called an API function, and the API function was
> supported by both Win 95 and Win NT4.  On Win NT 4, it issued a 50003
error.
> It turned out (on some occasions) I needed to pass an empty string from VB
> as one of the parameters to the API call (which draws text on a given
device
> context).  It turns out that under 95, I could pass empty string, and the
> length parameter as zero, and it worked fine.  But under NT4, it failed.
I
> endedup bypassing the call if the string was empty.  That seemed to work
> fine on both OS's.

> I guess this (and all the other messages here) proves that 50003 really is
a
> "catch-all"!

> (from Todd Augsburger
> AllMax Professional Solutions)
> If you are getting an "Unexpected Runtime Error - 50003" in conjunction
with
> TABCTL32.OCX SSTab (or COMCTL32.OCX) or similar controls, here's a
> definitive answer to a definite bug that we have researched over a period
of
> two long weeks.

> The bug:
> Certain versions of OLEPRO32.DLL (e.g. ver 4.0.5254) self-register
> incorrectly, putting themselves in the "Standard Picture" CLSID where
> OLEAUT32.DLL is supposed to be registered. If OLEAUT32.DLL is not
> re-registered after this event, the registry is left with incorrect
> information, and controls such as TABCTL32 do NOT load, and display Error
> 50003 when attempted.

> The solution:
> Make sure that in your install you re-register OLEAUT32.DLL, regardless of
> whether you installed a new copy or not. This will register it properly
and
> overwrite the bad info with the good. Or do it by hand from the run line:
> REGSVR32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL

> And a web site:

> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errors.htm#ERRORSVB1

> Good luck!

> Jim Deutch
> MS Dev MVP


> > Yesterday, I could run a compiled Visual Basic 5.0 version project. But,
> > today when I execute the same project after compiling some modification,
> and
> > when I try to load a form I get "50003 unexpected error".....

> > Some notes specify that this error is related to "GIF's" in my form, but
> > this is not the case........

> > Does anybody have an idea of what is going wrong....

> > Please help, thanks



Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:37:34 GMT  
 Unexpected error 50003
You can see a file's version by right-clicking it and choosing Properties
then looking on the version tab.

You didn't mention anything about "good machine/bad machine" before this,
but notice that I guessed <g>.

It's somewhat your choice.  My personal preferred solution is to keep an old
Win95 machine around with nothing (NOTHING) installed on it except the
absolute minimum needed to compile my apps: this is my "clean compile"
machine.  Stuff I've compiled on that will run anywhere.

Jim Deutch
MS Dev MVP


Quote:
> Thanks for the information, just one question, How can a see the version
of
> the different files that you specified?

> After knowing the way to see the version, what do I have to do? The files
on
> the good machine, do I copy them to the bad machine?

> Thanks again



Wed, 08 Oct 2003 00:27:05 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Unexpected error - 50003

2. Help! Unexpected Error 50003

3. Unexpected Error 50003, need help and wait online!!!

4. unexpected error 50003

5. Unexpected error 50003 - Any ideas?

6. Unexpected Error 50003

7. Help! Unexpected Error 50003

8. Need help !!! unexpected error 50003

9. Help! Unexpected Error 50003

10. Unexpected Error 50003 during insert of VB ActiveX control

11. unexpected error 50003

12. Unexpected error 50003

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software