VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
Author Message
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE

Hi,

I just found out that if you change a form or a .cls file (any file actually)
from outside the VB IDE, then when you come back into VB IDE, the change not only
is not seen but even if you close and reopen the form or .cls, you will not see
the new changes done!! This is very dangerous for use with tools that modify
the .cls and .bas files from outside VB!!

Any workarounds?

Juan

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:49:56 GMT
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
This is true if you have the code loaded into the IDE.  You can edit
the files, however, if you make your changes, then load the module.

Hi,

I just found out that if you change a form or a .cls file (any file
actually)
from outside the VB IDE, then when you come back into VB IDE, the change not
only
is not seen but even if you close and reopen the form or .cls, you will not
see
the new changes done!! This is very dangerous for use with tools that modify
the .cls and .bas files from outside VB!!

Any workarounds?

Juan

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:02:35 GMT
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
Well yes, that is the problem: you need to be closing the project everytime you
make any change to any part of the project from outside VB IDE!

This does not happen, for instance, in VC++ 6.

As I see it, this is a bug.  Do you agree?

Regards,
Juan Dent

Quote:
This is true if you have the code loaded into the IDE.  You can edit
the files, however, if you make your changes, then load the module.

Hi,

I just found out that if you change a form or a .cls file (any file
actually)
from outside the VB IDE, then when you come back into VB IDE, the change not
only
is not seen but even if you close and reopen the form or .cls, you will not
see
the new changes done!! This is very dangerous for use with tools that modify
the .cls and .bas files from outside VB!!

Any workarounds?

Juan

.

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:25:02 GMT
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
I see it as a plus...

I hate it when an editor assumes that I don't know what I'm
doing and refreshes my file or won't let me update it because
it has been updated from under me.

It gives you control over whats going on.

What if you wanted to diff a co-workers changes and VB forced
you to refresh a file when it got changed while open.  There'd
be no way to do it without changing your working folders and
then changing them back when you were done.

Thats just my opinion, but it suits me well enough.

What are you doing with source files that gets done outside the
IDE anyway?

D.

[...]

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:03:05 GMT
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
Not really--It just means that VB is caching the file in memory
rather than reading from the file.  Or at the very least--its a
bug "by design."

Well yes, that is the problem: you need to be closing the project everytime
you
make any change to any part of the project from outside VB IDE!

This does not happen, for instance, in VC++ 6.

As I see it, this is a bug.  Do you agree?

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:57:16 GMT
 VB 6 SP5 does not refresh changes made outside of the IDE
Yes: it is very much "by design" in fact, it's always worked that way (well,
at least since VB3).  Other products do, indeed work differently (I suspect
VB is nearly alone in this) but as long as you are aware of it, I don't see
why it should be a big problem.

JIm Deutch
MS Dev MVP

Quote:
> Not really--It just means that VB is caching the file in memory
> rather than reading from the file.  Or at the very least--its a
> bug "by design."

> Well yes, that is the problem: you need to be closing the project
everytime
> you
> make any change to any part of the project from outside VB IDE!

> This does not happen, for instance, in VC++ 6.

> As I see it, this is a bug.  Do you agree?

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:30:14 GMT

1. List boxes do not change on a database refresh in Visual Basic 6.0 SP5

2. Does Not Work Outside VB IDE.

3. Help not working outside the IDE

4. WSAGetLastError does not work outside the IDE

5. help - VB program runs in VB IDE, but will not run outside VB IDE.

6. Using own VB dlls outside IDE

7. VB6 SP5 not compatible with pre SP5???

8. Changing ODBC source makes CR reports not usable from VB 6

9. VB6 SP5 IDE Crash

10. VB6 SP5 IDE Crashing when opening form (IPF)

11. Reproducible IDE crash in VB6 SP4/SP5

12. Making sure VB program leaves memory when done.