VB IDE crashes when I close my app in debugger
Author Message
 VB IDE crashes when I close my app in debugger

Stuart,
Are you using a number of projects in one group or one project with a large
number of files?

I'm having the same trouble as you.  It appears the IDE can't cope with a
large number of projects loaded into the same group.  I've got several large
projects, mixture of EXE, OCX's, DLL's, each one containing several 10's of
classes, usercontrols and forms, when we reduced the number of projects, the
IDE becomes stable, when we increase the crashing returns.  The limit seems
to be about 13 projects (on our machines, this may be dependant on the
number of files you have loaded in one project, but I haven't been able to
prove this), increase this to 14 projects and the IDE crashes when closing.

Dave

Quote:
> The title says it all really.  If I close my app while
> debugging the VB IDE bombs, if I just stop it then VB
> survives a bit longer but tends to just disappear underme
> at some later date...

> I'm using VB6 with SP5 and I've attached the Dr Watson
> file for an instance of the crash.

> Anyone any ideas?

> Thanks,
> StuartD.

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:42:48 GMT
 VB IDE crashes when I close my app in debugger
Quote:
> I'm having the same trouble as you.  It appears the IDE can't cope with a
> large number of projects loaded into the same group.  I've got several

large

It's a common problem - we had the same problem. However, as development has
progressed, we've reduced the number of projects down (currently at eight)
and since then, the crash on exit doesn't occur as often.

I spoke to Microsoft about it a few months ago and they gave me a patch -
which didn't help. This patch has since been released in SP5 and still
doesn't fix it :-)

Quote:
> IDE becomes stable, when we increase the crashing returns.  The limit
seems
> to be about 13 projects (on our machines, this may be dependant on the

We've got less projects than you so it does suggest that it's possibly
number of references etc as well as # projects.

Cheers, Rob.

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:42:12 GMT

1. VB IDE crashes when I close my app in debugger

2. Subclassing Window Procedure Closes IDE when App closes

3. vb app crashes when closing

4. Close VB App-- Crystal Rpts Crashes

5. VB closing app vs. Windows closing app

6. VB Crashing on exit from debugger

7. Crash in MSVBVM50.DLL when closing my app

8. vb5.exe crashes when app closes

9. VB5 apps crash windows on close

10. App Crashing on Close

11. BUG: VB.NET compiler crashes itself or the IDE, when referencing C# DLL

12. UserControl crashing VB IDE!?!