ActiveX Document, keep .dll files on server
Author Message
 ActiveX Document, keep .dll files on server

I am in the process of understanding aspects of ActiveX Documents
before I design and implement a project.  I understand the basic
concepts... what I would like more information on, is keeping
sensitive .dll files on the server [database access, business logic],
while I download all of the other pieces of application [non-sensitive]
to the client.  This will be implemented over an intranet via LAN and
VPN.

I have a very small test project that I am working with that has 2
document files.  The first does not call any server-side .dll files,
while the second document creates an object using something like the
following code.

dim a as object
set a = Createobject("dll_name.dll_class")

At first, I tried referencing the .dll in the VB application; however I
quickly realized this wasn't the way to go, because when you try to
create the .cab file, it asks to include that .dll in the file.

Anyway, the first test document deploys and loads on IE5.0 without a
problem.  The second document will not load at all.

Is there a way to even do this?  Are there other reasons why I
shouldn't use this approach?

Is there a very specific place I can look for instruction on this
problem or have any of you faced this dilemma before?  I feel I have
almost exhausted my options.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX Document, keep .dll files on server
Try RDS and then you can have all your objects on the server and use
standard VB instead of subjecting your application to a fickle browser.

Joe H

Quote:

>I am in the process of understanding aspects of ActiveX Documents
>before I design and implement a project.  I understand the basic
>concepts... what I would like more information on, is keeping
>sensitive .dll files on the server [database access, business logic],
>while I download all of the other pieces of application [non-sensitive]
>to the client.  This will be implemented over an intranet via LAN and
>VPN.

>I have a very small test project that I am working with that has 2
>document files.  The first does not call any server-side .dll files,
>while the second document creates an object using something like the
>following code.

>dim a as object
>set a = Createobject("dll_name.dll_class")

>At first, I tried referencing the .dll in the VB application; however I
>quickly realized this wasn't the way to go, because when you try to
>create the .cab file, it asks to include that .dll in the file.

>Anyway, the first test document deploys and loads on IE5.0 without a
>problem.  The second document will not load at all.

>Is there a way to even do this?  Are there other reasons why I
>shouldn't use this approach?

>Is there a very specific place I can look for instruction on this
>problem or have any of you faced this dilemma before?  I feel I have
>almost exhausted my options.

>Thanks,
>Dave

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

2. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

3. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

4. How to keep ActiveX Control on Server

5. Generating word document files from embedded documents in Access or SQL Server DB.

6. Keeping Reports in separate ActiveX DLL.

7. Activex Doc Cab file keeps installing

8. ActiveX documents and SQL Server

9. ActiveX Documents and SQL Server

10. ActiveX documents and SQL Server

11. Activex Document exe running on client not server.

12. Problem running ActiveX documents (Remote Server Access)