IIS/IE Http Status 304 processing
Author Message
 IIS/IE Http Status 304 processing

I am trying to develop a "simple" app that auto-refreshes a HTML page.

I am using VB and the Webbrowser contol, set to navigate and a timer to
Refresh().

The problem is that the HTML pages all have LARGE background images and when
the refresh happens, the screen "flashes"  and reloads the background, even
though the image hasn't changed and the page hasn't changed.

I have made sure that the "Check for newer pages" option is set to Auto
(I've tried them all) and I have tried using the Refresh2() method with 0 &
1 as parameters.

I have tried modifying the headers on the Navigate to include a
"If-Modified-Since" and included the META tags for Last-Modified  in the
HTML page.

When I look at the IIS (4.0) log file, it shows that the initial request is
filled with 200/OK status, then it shows the next GET for the Page is 304,
then it shows the GET for the background image (also a 304), yet the image
still downloads.

I have verified that this also does this with just using IE4/IE5 and hitting
the Refresh button.
Here is the HTML form the Page:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Last-Modified" CONTENT="Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:50:02 GMT">
</head>
none>

Anyone have any ideas? If the server returns a 304, why would the image
download again??

I have tried fiddling with the Content Expiration in IIS, but everything is
the same (or worse).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Richardson

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using HTTP 304 code

2. Nubee Needs Help I.E. Current http Address

3. IIS how to find http:// entry for web pages

4. HTTP Status Codes

5. HTTP persistent connexion with IIS 5 and ASP

6. IIS 5.0 and Microsoft.XMLHTTP PUT HTTP Req.

7. Has anybody tried DCOM using HTTP Tunnelling via IIS

8. HTTP put with WinInet and IIS

9. How to enable HTTP redirection for IIS 4.0?

10. Internet Transfer Control: Retrieving HTTP status line

11. STATUS of http session

12. http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu