Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!
Author Message
 Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!

I'm new to Visual Basic but I'm quite good at VBA. At the moment though I'm
trying to get into creating VB Applications 4 websites. I need to create a
chatroom, buddy system and instant messaging solution via VB.

Apparently there is no such thing as just server-push, u need the client
asking before the server can push tings down to that asking client.

I'm wondering how do these other companies (MSN, Yahoo, AOL) updates there
buddy system only when someone logs on/off?
Is there buddy application constantly asking 4 info from the server or is
the server is only sending the buddy application info when an event happens
(someone logs off/someone send an instant message).

If the buddy application only receives info when an event happens, then how
do I go about creating my own buddy system using this method?

*Books Titles, *Code samples, articles e.t.c. would be helpful.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:10:46 GMT
 Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!

Quote:
> I'm new to Visual Basic but I'm quite good at VBA. At the moment though
I'm
> trying to get into creating VB Applications 4 websites. I need to create a
> chatroom, buddy system and instant messaging solution via VB.

> Apparently there is no such thing as just server-push, u need the client
> asking before the server can push tings down to that asking client.

> I'm wondering how do these other companies (MSN, Yahoo, AOL) updates there
> buddy system only when someone logs on/off?
> Is there buddy application constantly asking 4 info from the server or is
> the server is only sending the buddy application info when an event
happens
> (someone logs off/someone send an instant message).

With MSN etc, the clients maintains a TCP connection to the server, using
it's own protocol.  They do not use the HTTP (web) protocol, which is where
the client would keep having to ask for information.

If you're writing VB, use the Winsock Control to open a TCP connection.
There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for that
contol, so start there.

HTH
Peter
--
Peter G Sheppard                   /"\ ASCII RIBBON
peter (at) petersheppard (dot) com \ / CAMPAIGN AGAINST

---

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:00:13 GMT
 Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!
'There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for
that
contol, so start there.'

Where can I find the help, on this site or on another site?

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:52:15 GMT
 Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!

Quote:
> 'There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for
> that
> contol, so start there.'

> Where can I find the help, on this site or on another site?

In VB help.  Help/Contents in VB....

--
Peter G Sheppard                   /"\ ASCII RIBBON
peter (at) petersheppard (dot) com \ / CAMPAIGN AGAINST
http://www.petersheppard.com        X  HTML EMAIL
                                   / \ AND POSTINGS
CAUTION: This message may contain traces of nut!
Conclusion about dropped objects - the smaller the object and the greater
its
intrinsic value, the further it will be from where you expect it,
regardless of what you think you heard.

Quote:
> 'There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for
> that
> contol, so start there.'

> Where can I find the help, on this site or on another site?

In VB help.  Help/Contents in VB....

--
Peter G Sheppard                   /"\ ASCII RIBBON
peter (at) petersheppard (dot) com \ / CAMPAIGN AGAINST
http://www.petersheppard.com        X  HTML EMAIL
                                   / \ AND POSTINGS
CAUTION: This message may contain traces of nut!
Conclusion about dropped objects - the smaller the object and the greater
its
intrinsic value, the further it will be from where you expect it,
regardless of what you think you heard.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:57:57 GMT
 Creating a buddy system like MSN, Yahoo, AOL using VB. HELP!!
Thanks

Quote:

> > 'There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for
> > that
> > contol, so start there.'

> > Where can I find the help, on this site or on another site?

> In VB help.  Help/Contents in VB....

> --
> Peter G Sheppard                   /"\ ASCII RIBBON
> peter (at) petersheppard (dot) com \ / CAMPAIGN AGAINST
> http://www.petersheppard.com        X  HTML EMAIL
>                                    / \ AND POSTINGS
> CAUTION: This message may contain traces of nut!
> Conclusion about dropped objects - the smaller the object and the greater
> its
> intrinsic value, the further it will be from where you expect it,
> regardless of what you think you heard.

> > 'There is a good example of a real-time chat program in the help for
> > that
> > contol, so start there.'

> > Where can I find the help, on this site or on another site?

> In VB help.  Help/Contents in VB....

> --
> Peter G Sheppard                   /"\ ASCII RIBBON
> peter (at) petersheppard (dot) com \ / CAMPAIGN AGAINST
> http://www.petersheppard.com        X  HTML EMAIL
>                                    / \ AND POSTINGS
> CAUTION: This message may contain traces of nut!
> Conclusion about dropped objects - the smaller the object and the greater
> its
> intrinsic value, the further it will be from where you expect it,
> regardless of what you think you heard.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:46:10 GMT

1. HELP:: Connection to AOL server w/o using AOL Software

2. Yahoo Messenger Protocol article (how to make your own yahoo messenger ) in vb

3. Need help in Creating a Buddy Control

4. Need help in Creating a Buddy Control

5. Need help in Creating a Buddy Control

6. Using Bonzi Buddy in VB ?

7. AOL MMer Using VB 5

8. Taking text or variables out of AOL using VB

9. ActiveX:Creating a buddy control......

10. Visual Liking in .Net using TREE VIEW control

11. NEED HELP with AOL & VB

12. Need help with VB and AOL