Webclass versus ASP and ActiveX Server Components
Author Message
 Webclass versus ASP and ActiveX Server Components

Can someone briefly describe the difference between developing a vb web app
using WebClasses vs. ASP and ActiveX Server components.  From my research
I'm assuming the webclasses can ONLY be used for web apps.  We are
devoloping  an application that will have a web interface, standard vb
client interface and SQL Server 2000 database.  I'm assuming we want to go
with ActiveX components for the business and db layers so that they can be
used by both the web AND windows client interface but cannot read anything
that states this clearly.

Thanks for any input!

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:28:21 GMT
 Webclass versus ASP and ActiveX Server Components

Quote:
>Can someone briefly describe the difference between developing a vb web app
>using WebClasses vs. ASP and ActiveX Server components.

Briefly, web classes are rubbish, ASP/COM is ace.

You did ask ;-)

Quote:
>  From my research
>I'm assuming the webclasses can ONLY be used for web apps.

Correct.

Quote:
>  We are
>devoloping  an application that will have a web interface, standard vb
>client interface and SQL Server 2000 database.  I'm assuming we want to go
>with ActiveX components for the business and db layers so that they can be
>used by both the web AND windows client interface but cannot read anything
>that states this clearly.

You definitely want to avoid web classes. From the discussion I have
seen, they cause more trouble than they are worth. COM allows you to
reuse the objects easily, specifically you can use them from both ASP
and VB which seems to be a requirement of yours.

I have done similar things to what you are suggesting and would
definitely say go with ASP/COM. Look at the ASP newsgroups for more
info.

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "{*filter*}ferret" if replying by e-mail

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:07:44 GMT
 Webclass versus ASP and ActiveX Server Components

Quote:
> Can someone briefly describe the difference between developing a vb web
app
> using WebClasses vs. ASP and ActiveX Server components.

In short, web classes allow you to move more of the display-oriented
business code into a compiled object.  Normally, you keep pure business
logic in your COM/COM+ objects, and use the Webclasses to handle much of the
display-oriented business logic code.  It reduces the amount of code found
in ASP, and is more scalable and manageable than mounds and mounds of ASP
and JavaScript.

I would recommend Jesse Liberty's book on the subject which would dispel the
myths that may be posted about web classes.  It is called "Webclasses from
Scratch", published by Que books.

Web classes *do not* take the place of middleware COM objects.  They work
with them.  If doing a project with both web and Win32, web classes will
neither add to nor detract from the code you have to write and support.  It
just moves some of the web-oriented, display-oriented business logic out of
the interpreted ASP code into compiled VB code.

You will find that webforms in VB.NET are rather similar to web classes.

Jeff Jones

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:58:04 GMT

1. ActiveX Server Component or WebClass

2. Webclass vs server activeX dll

3. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

4. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

5. Running ASP or ASP remote method from WebClass Respond block

6. Survey on ASP/VS6.0 versus ASP.NET/VS.NET

7. ActiveX Component Can't Create Object Exception in ASP.Net

8. Security issues while installing 3rd party Activex (ASP) components on IIS

9. Passing Arrays between ASP/VBScript and ActiveX Components...

10. ASP ActiveX components created with VB5.0 - problem

11. ASP ActiveX components written in VB5.0

12. Passing Arrays between ASP/VBScript and ActiveX Components...