memory problem with asp vb component
Author Message
 memory problem with asp vb component

I am writing a vb component to use on an asp page that will use ado in it.
But I have noticed (using a memory usage program) that the same logic in vb
uses more memory and doesn't return if I just included it in an asp page.
Logic below.  Does any one know of anything I can do to help return my
memory after my component runs.  As soon as it hits the conn.open line in vb
I lose about a 1100 k and then it returns only about a 100 of it but when I
run it in an asp page I lose on a couple of k and it cleans it up better.  I
am concerned with the vb component over time on the webserver taking all the
memory.  And I have stepped thru my code several times and that is the only
place I am losing memory.  Thanks for any help.

dim conn as new connection
conn.open "connection string"
.... Logic
conn.close
set conn = nothing

Sun, 09 May 2004 04:00:58 GMT
 memory problem with asp vb component

Quote:
>I am writing a vb component to use on an asp page that will use ado in it.
>But I have noticed (using a memory usage program) that the same logic in vb
>uses more memory and doesn't return if I just included it in an asp page.
>Logic below.  Does any one know of anything I can do to help return my
>memory after my component runs.  As soon as it hits the conn.open line in vb
>I lose about a 1100 k and then it returns only about a 100 of it but when I
>run it in an asp page I lose on a couple of k and it cleans it up better.  I
>am concerned with the vb component over time on the webserver taking all the
>memory.  And I have stepped thru my code several times and that is the only
>place I am losing memory.  Thanks for any help.

Windows keeps te component in memory as long as IIS uses it. Although
you don't use it anymore, IIS keeps a reference to it so that it loads
faster the next time its being used from a page. The memory won't be
released until you stop or restart IIS.

It's not a problem, it's a kinda nice feature. If you monitor it
closely you will also see that the memory use won't increase that much
if you instantiate the object for a second or third time (because it's
already in memory).

Grtz,
Marco

Thu, 13 May 2004 01:19:10 GMT

1. Problem passing VB COM+ ASP Request object to .NET component System.Web.HTTPRequest through COM interop

2. Problem with VC component in ASP-VB Script

3. Problem using an Array in ASP as argument to a VB component

4. Problems calling VB Components from ASP using Interfaces Classes

5. Have a problem with using component writed by VB in ASP

6. Problems executing ASP components using VB Interfaces

7. ASP Component DLL stuck in memory

8. Problem with VB 5.0 component + ADODB + ASP

9. Memory problem with Webbrowser component

10. ASP/MTS component creation problem

11. ASP ActiveX components created with VB5.0 - problem

12. Components/ASP problem . Please help,very important