ActiveX in a web application
Author Message
 ActiveX in a web application

I have built an in process ActiveX component that needs to live on the
server. The user will make requests that will need to be in contact with the
same instance of the component. How do I do this?

thanks for any advice.

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:05:17 GMT
 ActiveX in a web application
Let me rephrase what I think your asking.

You have a ActiveX DLL that will be used in an ASP application.  You
would like to maintain state for that DLL across multiple page requests
from the same user.  But this information does not need to be shared
across requests from different users.

If this is the situation, the you need to look into preserving state
information using Cookies, Session variables or a database.  While it
might seem appealing (and in some cases, will even work) to store a
variable containing your object in a Session variable, there are
potential problems that can occur.  Check out the link below for more
details.

http://www.tagconsulting.com/Show.asp?Id=1009

And if I've misinterpreted your question, please let me know.

Bruce Johnson
TAG Consulting
http://www.tagconsulting.com

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:32:15 GMT
 ActiveX in a web application
Thanks for your thoughts, Bruce.

And yes you are right, I do want to keep state using an ActiveX DLL.
My situation is comparable to the following example:
Lets say the ActiveX contained a class that would use MediaPlayer to play
sound and music. A user requests a song residing on the server to be played.
The ASP creates an instance of the class, thus starting MediaPlayer. At a
later stage the user might want to pause or stop the music playing. Keeping
state is an intrinsic part of how this works.

Further comments would be very appreciated.

Quote:
> Let me rephrase what I think your asking.

> You have a ActiveX DLL that will be used in an ASP application.  You
> would like to maintain state for that DLL across multiple page requests
> from the same user.  But this information does not need to be shared
> across requests from different users.

> If this is the situation, the you need to look into preserving state
> information using Cookies, Session variables or a database.  While it
> might seem appealing (and in some cases, will even work) to store a
> variable containing your object in a Session variable, there are
> potential problems that can occur.  Check out the link below for more
> details.

> http://www.tagconsulting.com/Show.asp?Id=1009

> And if I've misinterpreted your question, please let me know.

> Bruce Johnson
> TAG Consulting
> http://www.tagconsulting.com

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:00:31 GMT
 ActiveX in a web application
Something tells me it is a service that I need running on the server, but
that is a complete unknown for me. Is that right?

Quote:
> Let me rephrase what I think your asking.

> You have a ActiveX DLL that will be used in an ASP application.  You
> would like to maintain state for that DLL across multiple page requests
> from the same user.  But this information does not need to be shared
> across requests from different users.

> If this is the situation, the you need to look into preserving state
> information using Cookies, Session variables or a database.  While it
> might seem appealing (and in some cases, will even work) to store a
> variable containing your object in a Session variable, there are
> potential problems that can occur.  Check out the link below for more
> details.

> http://www.tagconsulting.com/Show.asp?Id=1009

> And if I've misinterpreted your question, please let me know.

> Bruce Johnson
> TAG Consulting
> http://www.tagconsulting.com

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:30:26 GMT

1. Problems loading ActiveX controls in web applications

2. Transform your VB application into a Web Server with WWWServer ActiveX

3. ActiveX and Web Applications

4. ActiveX control/ Web browser application

5. Passing information from ActiveX control back to web application

6. VB Web applications, web based controls

7. VB Web applications, web based controls

8. Web Application or Local Application? Comments welcome

9. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application

10. Transform a Microsoft Access Application to a Web Application

11. Visual Basic Application to Web Application

12. Visual Basic Application Sharing an ID with a Web Application