Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
Author Message
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...

Hello, all.  Just started working for a company where IE 5 is the
company wide standard browser.  Good news for me, since I'm a long time
VB developer.  I'm now tasked with rolling out an application quite
soon, and my boss strongly wants a web app.  My prior job forced me to
develop using ASP, since some users had Netscape and some had IE.  Now,
this new job allows me to fully go ActiveX...yeah.

I've started developing a prototype application using VB as an ActiveX
document, and all is working well.  Passing variables between forms,
accessing our SQL Server database, etc.  I'm not surprised this is going
well...after all, this is the beauty of an all Microsoft shop.  My
question (sorry for rambling) is:  What are the advantages (besides
those I've listed) and  disadvantages of developing apps as ActiveX
documents.  Luckily for as, as VB developers, we have a ton of options
when it comes to app. development.  Also, can someone recommend a good,
solid book on building apps as ActiveX documents?  And also, has anyone
tackled printing?

Thanks in advance!

Ross

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 02:42:18 GMT
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
hello roswell

im in the process of converting an existing vb project to a web based one -
so ive read much about the different ways to do this ...

activex documents are the easiest way to do this by far - theres even a
wizard that will convert your existing vb app to an activex doc one ...

the books ive read have not had too many great things to say about activex
docs - eventhough its so easy for an existing vb ap - and to be honest im
not sure 100% why ...

as you know activex docs can only be run in an internet explorer container,
which is one downfall

the other is that every user will need to download the necesarry dll's and i
think some other stuff - which can take up to 1mb in size

another user once said he had an easier time with activex controls then
docs, but could not remember why ...

bryan

Quote:
> Hello, all.  Just started working for a company where IE 5 is the
> company wide standard browser.  Good news for me, since I'm a long time
> VB developer.  I'm now tasked with rolling out an application quite
> soon, and my boss strongly wants a web app.  My prior job forced me to
> develop using ASP, since some users had Netscape and some had IE.  Now,
> this new job allows me to fully go ActiveX...yeah.

> I've started developing a prototype application using VB as an ActiveX
> document, and all is working well.  Passing variables between forms,
> accessing our SQL Server database, etc.  I'm not surprised this is going
> well...after all, this is the beauty of an all Microsoft shop.  My
> question (sorry for rambling) is:  What are the advantages (besides
> those I've listed) and  disadvantages of developing apps as ActiveX
> documents.  Luckily for as, as VB developers, we have a ton of options
> when it comes to app. development.  Also, can someone recommend a good,
> solid book on building apps as ActiveX documents?  And also, has anyone
> tackled printing?

> Thanks in advance!

> Ross

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:45:18 GMT
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
Bryan,

I've thus since moved the app from VB to an ActiveX control.  My entire VB app is now one ActiveX control!  Luckily all of my users use IE5 as a standard browser.  The app looks good, and acts very stable.  The package & deployment wizard takes my ActiveX control [my old VB app], or .ocx, creates the .cab and .html file to deploy to your website.  Your users hit the .html page, the .cab file is automatically downloaded in the background and after a few seconds, bang!!! there's your VB app, right in their browser.  Beautiful.  I've even put code in my app to AUTOMATICALLY create an ODBC DSN on their system to access the SQL database my app access.  I never have to visit their PC...not even to setup an ODBC DSN.

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:20:29 GMT
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
I started using ActiveX documents this year.  The documents work great on
the development machine, but are tricky to deploy.  We are using some
machines with Win 95, Win 98 and Win NT 4.0.  I get different error
messages.  There is a lot of help in the MS Knowledge base but it is
scattered.

I found someone who had written an article on them and at the time he was
very high on them.  When I contacted him, he told me he had the same
problems I had.  He said when he first started using them, there were some
bugs that he assumed MS would fix.  Instead, it looks like they abandoned
the whole idea.  It may be because of VB.net.   In any case, he said he
stopped using them.  My coworker gave up the other day.  This would have
been great had they worked out all the bugs, but it appears like only the
simplest of apps can be deployed.

If I am wrong and if someone could point me to some guidelines for doing
this, I would really appreciate it.  It seemed to have a lot of promise.

Joe

Quote:
> hello roswell

> im in the process of converting an existing vb project to a web based
one -
> so ive read much about the different ways to do this ...

> activex documents are the easiest way to do this by far - theres even a
> wizard that will convert your existing vb app to an activex doc one ...

> the books ive read have not had too many great things to say about activex
> docs - eventhough its so easy for an existing vb ap - and to be honest im
> not sure 100% why ...

> as you know activex docs can only be run in an internet explorer
container,
> which is one downfall

> the other is that every user will need to download the necesarry dll's and
> think some other stuff - which can take up to 1mb in size

> another user once said he had an easier time with activex controls then
> docs, but could not remember why ...

> bryan

> > Hello, all.  Just started working for a company where IE 5 is the
> > company wide standard browser.  Good news for me, since I'm a long time
> > VB developer.  I'm now tasked with rolling out an application quite
> > soon, and my boss strongly wants a web app.  My prior job forced me to
> > develop using ASP, since some users had Netscape and some had IE.  Now,
> > this new job allows me to fully go ActiveX...yeah.

> > I've started developing a prototype application using VB as an ActiveX
> > document, and all is working well.  Passing variables between forms,
> > accessing our SQL Server database, etc.  I'm not surprised this is going
> > well...after all, this is the beauty of an all Microsoft shop.  My
> > question (sorry for rambling) is:  What are the advantages (besides
> > those I've listed) and  disadvantages of developing apps as ActiveX
> > documents.  Luckily for as, as VB developers, we have a ton of options
> > when it comes to app. development.  Also, can someone recommend a good,
> > solid book on building apps as ActiveX documents?  And also, has anyone
> > tackled printing?

> > Thanks in advance!

> > Ross

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:38:57 GMT
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
Joe,

Thanks for the reply.  I've since abandoned ActiveX documents.  But now I'm doing ActiveX controls.  I've migrated an entire VB app to an ActiveX control.  I couldn't believe it...but it works beautifully.  A full blown VB app (15 forms, Crystal Reports, SQL database access, etc...) Give ActiveX controls a try.  There's a ton more support, books, and documentation on MS website on ActiveX controls vs. ActiveX documents, and the ActiveX controls newsgroups are wonderfully supportive.  It seems ActiveX controls were adoptede more than ActiveX documents.  Also, on all client machines it's working beautifully thru IE.

If you'ld like info, tips, workarounds let me know.

Good luck

Ros

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:39:04 GMT
 Newbie to Ax Document; have questions...
here's a list of suggestions:

1) set binary compatibility
2) set version to auto-increment
3) don't use: Private Sub UserDocument_Initialize()
4) don't use: Private Sub UserDocument_InitProperties()
5) set components to "yes" for "safe for scripting" and "safe for
initialization" during packaging.
6) ensure same version for .CAB, .VBD and .HTM files
7) you may need to uncomment the <object> tag in the .HTM file built by
PDW.  actually, i would recommend the use of the HTML tags meant for
IE3.
8) add the CLSID in the <object> tag from the registry.

final HTM should look something like this:

<object ID="myVBDfile"
CLASSID="CLSID:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX"
CODEBASE="myCABfile.CAB#version=9,9,9,9">
</object>
<script LANGUAGE="VBScript">
Sub Window_OnLoad
    Document.Open
    Document.Write "<FRAMESET>"
    Document.Write "<FRAME SRC=""myVBDfile.VBD"">"
    Document.Write "</FRAMESET>"
    Document.Close
End Sub
</script>

9) set IE intranet security to low.

hope this helps.

Bob

Quote:

> I started using ActiveX documents this year.  The documents work great on
> the development machine, but are tricky to deploy.  We are using some
> machines with Win 95, Win 98 and Win NT 4.0.  I get different error
> messages.  There is a lot of help in the MS Knowledge base but it is
> scattered.

> I found someone who had written an article on them and at the time he was
> very high on them.  When I contacted him, he told me he had the same
> problems I had.  He said when he first started using them, there were some
> bugs that he assumed MS would fix.  Instead, it looks like they abandoned
> the whole idea.  It may be because of VB.net.   In any case, he said he
> stopped using them.  My coworker gave up the other day.  This would have
> been great had they worked out all the bugs, but it appears like only the
> simplest of apps can be deployed.

> If I am wrong and if someone could point me to some guidelines for doing
> this, I would really appreciate it.  It seemed to have a lot of promise.

> Joe

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:43:56 GMT

1. Happy New Year! Newbie document display questions

2. AX code component event question

3. Having Outlook print word documents

4. avoiding having to open documents

5. still having activeX document download problems

6. Newbie having trouble with VBA Code in Access

7. Having some problems with ObjectNames(newbie)

8. Newbie having trouble with Object Error

9. Newbie still having problems with SQL statement

10. A Newbie having trouble passing variables from one sup-procedure to another

11. Newbie Having trouble with this User Info script, Please help

12. newbie having problems