Pop ups
Author Message
 Pop ups

I have a .DLL that runs on an .ASP page.  Sometimes (depending on what the
user enters) my .DLL may need more info from teh user.  When this happens, I
would like a small window to pop up giving the user a selection to pick
from.  When the user selects an item they would then click "OK"  I would
want the window to close, and the value that they clicked on, get entered
into the .DLL

How?

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:22:26 GMT
 Pop ups
No can do, if you let you're dll pop up anything, it will pop it up on the
server, not the client, and this would be a very bad thing...cause the
server would hang waiting for input but the user would not be able to do
anything about it, or even know what was going on. Not cool.

I think you are not really clear on how this client-server asp model
works...

If you put up some sample code and what you are doing, and why you are
trying to do it this way, I think it may be most useful to anyone trying to
help you.

Details man, I need details...

Steve
P.S. Search the web for newgroup etiquette, and read and learn the right way
to ask for help here.

Quote:
> I have a .DLL that runs on an .ASP page.  Sometimes (depending on what the
> user enters) my .DLL may need more info from teh user.  When this happens,
> would like a small window to pop up giving the user a selection to pick
> from.  When the user selects an item they would then click "OK"  I would
> want the window to close, and the value that they clicked on, get entered
> into the .DLL

> How?

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:55:51 GMT
 Pop ups
One of the thing my program does, is list the city for a given zip code that
the user types in.  Sometimes, there is multiple cities for the same zip
code.  When this happens I need something to happen so teh user is given a
list of all the possible cities for that zip code, then the user clicks on
one.
The 2 things I need here,
(1) provide a list of multiple cites
(2) find out which city the user clicked on

I don't have any sample code becasue I know that I can't use a normal VB
msgbox in ASP.

Quote:
> No can do, if you let you're dll pop up anything, it will pop it up on the
> server, not the client, and this would be a very bad thing...cause the
> server would hang waiting for input but the user would not be able to do
> anything about it, or even know what was going on. Not cool.

> I think you are not really clear on how this client-server asp model
> works...

> If you put up some sample code and what you are doing, and why you are
> trying to do it this way, I think it may be most useful to anyone trying
> help you.

> Details man, I need details...

> Steve
> P.S. Search the web for newgroup etiquette, and read and learn the right
way
> to ask for help here.

> > I have a .DLL that runs on an .ASP page.  Sometimes (depending on what
the
> > user enters) my .DLL may need more info from teh user.  When this
happens,
> > would like a small window to pop up giving the user a selection to pick
> > from.  When the user selects an item they would then click "OK"  I would
> > want the window to close, and the value that they clicked on, get
entered
> > into the .DLL

> > How?

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:02:04 GMT
 Pop ups
Then I see two ways you can do this, if there are multiple cities, you will
need to load a page that
prompts them for it when they select a zip that could be for multiple
cities, orrrr....you could do
remote scripting and when they select a zip, load a city select from a
remote scripting call to the
server...there are probably other ways too, but these are the only two that
come to my mind as
pretty easy to implement.

I like to use remote scripting just cause this is more client server
app-like than most
web programs you see out there, you can call a method on the server to
return you
some data to put in the current page without having to leave that page.
But it is not super easy to get a grip on if you haven't done it before, but
really is not
that {*filter*}ce you have done it a couple times and get a 'feel' for how it
works.
There are some good simple samples at the msdn site that should get you
going if you
think it sounds interesting enough to give it a crack.

Steve

Quote:
> One of the thing my program does, is list the city for a given zip code
that
> the user types in.  Sometimes, there is multiple cities for the same zip
> code.  When this happens I need something to happen so teh user is given a
> list of all the possible cities for that zip code, then the user clicks on
> one.
> The 2 things I need here,
> (1) provide a list of multiple cites
> (2) find out which city the user clicked on

> I don't have any sample code becasue I know that I can't use a normal VB
> msgbox in ASP.

> > No can do, if you let you're dll pop up anything, it will pop it up on
the
> > server, not the client, and this would be a very bad thing...cause the
> > server would hang waiting for input but the user would not be able to do
> > anything about it, or even know what was going on. Not cool.

> > I think you are not really clear on how this client-server asp model
> > works...

> > If you put up some sample code and what you are doing, and why you are
> > trying to do it this way, I think it may be most useful to anyone trying
> > help you.

> > Details man, I need details...

> > Steve
> > P.S. Search the web for newgroup etiquette, and read and learn the right
> way
> > to ask for help here.

> > > I have a .DLL that runs on an .ASP page.  Sometimes (depending on what
> the
> > > user enters) my .DLL may need more info from teh user.  When this
> happens,
> > > would like a small window to pop up giving the user a selection to
pick
> > > from.  When the user selects an item they would then click "OK"  I
would
> > > want the window to close, and the value that they clicked on, get
> entered
> > > into the .DLL

> > > How?

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:52:44 GMT

1. Pop-ups in MS Office

2. pop-ups

3. Pop-ups in TreeView

4. downloading file without pop-ups

5. Pop-ups

6. control enumeration pop-ups at design time

7. Pop Ups

8. Pop Up Menu Not Popping

9. Dial Ups

10. Microsoft Press More Than 300 Titles + FREE UPS Ground shipping

11. Outlook Hang ups