MTS component returning a recordset question
Author Message
 MTS component returning a recordset question

Hi,

I got into a discussion regarding VB6 Components in MTS that return ADO
recordsets to an ASP page.  I was told that you should never return an
object (meaning the recordset) from a component while under control of MTS.
Instead you should convert the recordset to a variant array or convert it to
XML and return that to the page.  The idea is that by returning the
recordset, there is more overhead involved/performance degredation.  Is this
true?  I don't recall ever hearing about this.  I've always thought the ADO
recordset is designed for that in a distributed app.

Thanks, Dave.

Fri, 24 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
David,
It's not MTS that is the problem but ASP. It will affect the scalability of
your site.
Returning a Recordset to a VB client app from MTS is quite ok

Kind Regards
Mike MCP

Quote:
> Hi,

> I got into a discussion regarding VB6 Components in MTS that return ADO
> recordsets to an ASP page.  I was told that you should never return an
> object (meaning the recordset) from a component while under control of
MTS.
> Instead you should convert the recordset to a variant array or convert it
> XML and return that to the page.  The idea is that by returning the
> recordset, there is more overhead involved/performance degredation.  Is
this
> true?  I don't recall ever hearing about this.  I've always thought the
ADO
> recordset is designed for that in a distributed app.

> Thanks, Dave.

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
Can you expand why ASP will affect scalability when getting the returned rs?
Is the variant array the best solution return a resultset?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Quote:
> David,
> It's not MTS that is the problem but ASP. It will affect the scalability
of
> your site.
> Returning a Recordset to a VB client app from MTS is quite ok

> Kind Regards
> Mike MCP

> > Hi,

> > I got into a discussion regarding VB6 Components in MTS that return ADO
> > recordsets to an ASP page.  I was told that you should never return an
> > object (meaning the recordset) from a component while under control of
> MTS.
> > Instead you should convert the recordset to a variant array or convert
it
> > XML and return that to the page.  The idea is that by returning the
> > recordset, there is more overhead involved/performance degredation.  Is
> this
> > true?  I don't recall ever hearing about this.  I've always thought the
> ADO
> > recordset is designed for that in a distributed app.

> > Thanks, Dave.

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
Are disconnected recordsets relevant here. Are they not designed to be used
in ASP pages. Couldn't one return this?

Quote:
> Can you expand why ASP will affect scalability when getting the returned
rs?
> Is the variant array the best solution return a resultset?

> Thanks in advance, Dave.

> > David,
> > It's not MTS that is the problem but ASP. It will affect the scalability
> of
> > your site.
> > Returning a Recordset to a VB client app from MTS is quite ok

> > Kind Regards
> > Mike MCP

> > > Hi,

> > > I got into a discussion regarding VB6 Components in MTS that return
ADO
> > > recordsets to an ASP page.  I was told that you should never return an
> > > object (meaning the recordset) from a component while under control of
> > MTS.
> > > Instead you should convert the recordset to a variant array or convert
> it
> > > XML and return that to the page.  The idea is that by returning the
> > > recordset, there is more overhead involved/performance degredation.
Is
> > this
> > > true?  I don't recall ever hearing about this.  I've always thought
the
> > ADO
> > > recordset is designed for that in a distributed app.

> > > Thanks, Dave.

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
I wasn't really thinking of disconnected recordsets.  Again, I wanted my
component to return an ADODB.Recordset to the  ASP and was informed that
this is not the optimal method.

Quote:
> Are disconnected recordsets relevant here. Are they not designed to be
used
> in ASP pages. Couldn't one return this?

> > Can you expand why ASP will affect scalability when getting the returned
> rs?
> > Is the variant array the best solution return a resultset?

> > Thanks in advance, Dave.

> > > David,
> > > It's not MTS that is the problem but ASP. It will affect the
scalability
> > of
> > > your site.
> > > Returning a Recordset to a VB client app from MTS is quite ok

> > > Kind Regards
> > > Mike MCP

> ADO
> > > MTS.
> > it
> Is
> > > this
> the
> > > ADO

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
What about disconnected recordsets isn't (or doesn't act like) an
ADODB.Recordset  to you ?
The only diff in the MTS code is that you set the rs.activeconnection =
nothing after you have the rs, thereby disconnecting
the rs from DB source, before you return the rs back to your ASP page.

Is there a MSDN / Technet link that mentions the return of recordsets from
MTS to ASP as not being optimal - or what that from some other source - I
would like to read more on that.

Jim

Quote:
> I wasn't really thinking of disconnected recordsets.  Again, I wanted my
> component to return an ADODB.Recordset to the  ASP and was informed that
> this is not the optimal method.

> > Are disconnected recordsets relevant here. Are they not designed to be
> used
> > in ASP pages. Couldn't one return this?

> > > Can you expand why ASP will affect scalability when getting the
returned
> > rs?
> > > Is the variant array the best solution return a resultset?

> > > Thanks in advance, Dave.

> scalability
> > > of

> > ADO
> an
> of
> convert
> > > it
> > Is
> > the

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
Jim,

I agree... I'd like to find the article that states it's NOT optimal.  Some
collegues stated that it isn't during a design meeting which is why I posted
here.   As far as I know and from what I've learned that is what they are
designed for.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Dave.

Quote:
> What about disconnected recordsets isn't (or doesn't act like) an
> ADODB.Recordset  to you ?
> The only diff in the MTS code is that you set the rs.activeconnection =
> nothing after you have the rs, thereby disconnecting
> the rs from DB source, before you return the rs back to your ASP page.

> Is there a MSDN / Technet link that mentions the return of recordsets from
> MTS to ASP as not being optimal - or what that from some other source - I
> would like to read more on that.

> Jim

> > I wasn't really thinking of disconnected recordsets.  Again, I wanted my
> > component to return an ADODB.Recordset to the  ASP and was informed that
> > this is not the optimal method.

> > > Are disconnected recordsets relevant here. Are they not designed to be
> > used
> > > in ASP pages. Couldn't one return this?

> returned
> > > rs?

> > scalability

> return
> > > ADO
> return
> > an
> control
> > of
> > convert
> the
> degredation.
> > > Is
> thought
> > > the

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS component returning a recordset question
you can check out MSDN Periodicals\Visual Basic Developer\May\Prevent 'Stale
Data' Problems for some speed test on recordsets vs variant arrays. (btw,
august issue's "ado unplugged" of the same magazine is worth reading)

another implication using recordset is that ASP is interpreted vb/jscript.
each property/method invokation goes late-bound (through IDispatch::Invoke)
where using array is native to the script. (hmmm, not that much performance
gain on second thought though:-)

just my $.02

</wqw> - MCSD

Quote:
> Jim,

> I agree... I'd like to find the article that states it's NOT optimal.
Some
> collegues stated that it isn't during a design meeting which is why I
posted
> here.   As far as I know and from what I've learned that is what they are
> designed for.

> Thanks for everyone's feedback. Dave.

> > What about disconnected recordsets isn't (or doesn't act like) an
> > ADODB.Recordset  to you ?
> > The only diff in the MTS code is that you set the rs.activeconnection =
> > nothing after you have the rs, thereby disconnecting
> > the rs from DB source, before you return the rs back to your ASP page.

> > Is there a MSDN / Technet link that mentions the return of recordsets
from
> > MTS to ASP as not being optimal - or what that from some other source -
> > would like to read more on that.

> > Jim

> > > I wasn't really thinking of disconnected recordsets.  Again, I wanted
my
> > > component to return an ADODB.Recordset to the  ASP and was informed
that
> > > this is not the optimal method.

> > > used

> > returned

> > > scalability

> > return
> > return
> > > an
> > control
> > > of
> > > convert
> > the
> > degredation.
> > thought

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Returning ADO Recordset from MTS Component

2. Best way to return from an MTS component!

3. Databinding using ADO Recordset from MTS Component

4. ] Problem passing ADO recordsets to VB6 MTS Component

5. ] Problem passing ADO recordsets to VB6 MTS Component

6. Using an ADO recordset from an MTS Component

7. Help: Passing recordsets between MTS components error

8. How to return a recordset from a COM object managed by MTS

9. Newbie question on creating MTS component

10. Question about serialized database reads under MTS COM components

11. MTS Component Design Question

12. CreateInstance Question within an MTS component