Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB
Author Message
 Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB

I am writing a webpage using Active Server Pages. The ASP loads a custom DLL
created in VB using the Server.CreateObject function. When I was testing the
page on an NT Server (SP6a) with IIS 4, I could access the DLL's no problem,
whether I was running them compiled or through VB (i.e. the source code open
in VB, and VB running the component, waiting for it to be created.)

Now I am testing the same code and webpage on Windows Advanced Server (SP1)
with IIS 5. If I run the page against the compiled DLL, it runs fine. If I
run the page with VB, which is again running the component, I get the
following error:

Server Object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

Server.CreateObject Access Error

//global.asa, line 40

The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is
denied to this object

Does anyone know what the problem is?

thanks in advance for the help.

Casey

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:37:33 GMT
 Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB

Straigt from MSDN ...

SYMPTOMS
When you debug a COM+ Component in Visual Basic 6.0 on a Windows
2000-based computer, the following error message may appear in the
browser when the client is an Active Server Pages (ASP) page:

Server object, ASP 0178 (0x800A0005) The call to Server.CreateObject
failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.
This behavior only occurs when you run the COM+ Component from within
the Visual Basic integrated development environment (IDE). The error
does not occur when you run the COM+ Component in a compiled state
within a COM+ application.

CAUSE
The authenticating user, usually the IUSR_<machinename> account if you
are using anonymous access, does not have the appropriate permissions to
access the DCOM Server (VB6.exe in this case). When you are debugging
COM+ Components in the Visual Basic IDE, the launching user is the
interactive user; the user that is accessing the DCOM Server is the
authenticating user.

Because there is no DCOM entry for VB6.exe, DCOM uses the default
permissions. In Windows 2000, the DCOM Default Access Permissions are
only given to the System account and the launching user by default.
Because the launching user and the user accessing the DCOM Server are
not the same, the error message shown in the "Symptoms" section occurs.

Cure:
Add a DCOM entry for VB6.exe into the registry. This enables you to set
specific DCOM permissions for debugging COM+ Component in Visual Basic.
Create the entry for VB ASP Debugging in DCOM:

Start Microsoft Notepad or another text editor and type the following
case-sensitive syntax: (Script is attatched)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}\LocalServer
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\vb6.exe]
"AppId"="{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}"
Save the file as Vbaspdbg.reg.

Locate the folder where you saved the Vbaspdbg.reg file and double-click
the file (it automatically registers itself in the Windows registry).

Add the Everyone account to the DCOM permissions for Visual Basic ASP
debugging.

Start DCOMCNFG. On the Start menu, click Run, and then type dcomcnfg in
the dialog box.

On the Distributed COM Configuration Properties page, click the
Applications tab, select VB ASP Debugging from the list, and then click
Properties.

In the VB ASP Debugging Properties property sheet, click the Securities
tab, and then click to select the Use custom access permissions check
box. Click Edit.

In the Registry Value Permissions window, click Add, and then add the
Everyone account for Allow Access.

Click OK, and then click Apply to apply the changes and exit the
Distributed COM Configuration properties page.

Quote:

> I am writing a webpage using Active Server Pages. The ASP loads a custom DLL
> created in VB using the Server.CreateObject function. When I was testing the
> page on an NT Server (SP6a) with IIS 4, I could access the DLL's no problem,
> whether I was running them compiled or through VB (i.e. the source code open
> in VB, and VB running the component, waiting for it to be created.)

> Now I am testing the same code and webpage on Windows Advanced Server (SP1)
> with IIS 5. If I run the page against the compiled DLL, it runs fine. If I
> run the page with VB, which is again running the component, I get the
> following error:

> Server Object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

> Server.CreateObject Access Error

> //global.asa, line 40

> The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is
> denied to this object

> Does anyone know what the problem is?

> thanks in advance for the help.

> Casey

  tdm3.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:02:10 GMT
 Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB
Thanks for the help!

Quote:

> Straigt from MSDN ...

> SYMPTOMS
> When you debug a COM+ Component in Visual Basic 6.0 on a Windows
> 2000-based computer, the following error message may appear in the
> browser when the client is an Active Server Pages (ASP) page:

> Server object, ASP 0178 (0x800A0005) The call to Server.CreateObject
> failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.
> This behavior only occurs when you run the COM+ Component from within
> the Visual Basic integrated development environment (IDE). The error
> does not occur when you run the COM+ Component in a compiled state
> within a COM+ application.

> CAUSE
> The authenticating user, usually the IUSR_<machinename> account if you
> are using anonymous access, does not have the appropriate permissions to
> access the DCOM Server (VB6.exe in this case). When you are debugging
> COM+ Components in the Visual Basic IDE, the launching user is the
> interactive user; the user that is accessing the DCOM Server is the
> authenticating user.

> Because there is no DCOM entry for VB6.exe, DCOM uses the default
> permissions. In Windows 2000, the DCOM Default Access Permissions are
> only given to the System account and the launching user by default.
> Because the launching user and the user accessing the DCOM Server are
> not the same, the error message shown in the "Symptoms" section occurs.

> Cure:
> Add a DCOM entry for VB6.exe into the registry. This enables you to set
> specific DCOM permissions for debugging COM+ Component in Visual Basic.
> Create the entry for VB ASP Debugging in DCOM:

> Start Microsoft Notepad or another text editor and type the following
> case-sensitive syntax: (Script is attatched)

> REGEDIT4
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}\LocalServer3
2]

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\vb6.exe]
> "AppId"="{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}"
> Save the file as Vbaspdbg.reg.

> Locate the folder where you saved the Vbaspdbg.reg file and double-click
> the file (it automatically registers itself in the Windows registry).

> Add the Everyone account to the DCOM permissions for Visual Basic ASP
> debugging.

> Start DCOMCNFG. On the Start menu, click Run, and then type dcomcnfg in
> the dialog box.

> On the Distributed COM Configuration Properties page, click the
> Applications tab, select VB ASP Debugging from the list, and then click
> Properties.

> In the VB ASP Debugging Properties property sheet, click the Securities
> tab, and then click to select the Use custom access permissions check
> box. Click Edit.

> In the Registry Value Permissions window, click Add, and then add the
> Everyone account for Allow Access.

> Click OK, and then click Apply to apply the changes and exit the
> Distributed COM Configuration properties page.

> > I am writing a webpage using Active Server Pages. The ASP loads a custom
DLL
> > created in VB using the Server.CreateObject function. When I was testing
the
> > page on an NT Server (SP6a) with IIS 4, I could access the DLL's no
problem,
> > whether I was running them compiled or through VB (i.e. the source code
open
> > in VB, and VB running the component, waiting for it to be created.)

> > Now I am testing the same code and webpage on Windows Advanced Server
(SP1)
> > with IIS 5. If I run the page against the compiled DLL, it runs fine. If
> > run the page with VB, which is again running the component, I get the
> > following error:

> > Server Object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

> > Server.CreateObject Access Error

> > //global.asa, line 40

> > The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.
Access is
> > denied to this object

> > Does anyone know what the problem is?

> > thanks in advance for the help.

> > Casey

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:37:42 GMT

1. Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB

2. Win2k Upgrade with ASP and VB

3. Debug - VB, Win2k IIS, ASP - start with url

4. ASP/VB debugging problems - win2K and NT4

5. Component Fails After Upgrading to Win2K

6. Right click in the system tray does'nt work after upgrade to Win2k

7. Upgrade from Visual Basic 6 webclasses to VB.NET/ASP.NET

8. debugging vb.net upgraded component in asp.net

9. ASP and Project on Win2k

10. ASP & Win2K Professional

11. vbscript from asp using iis on win2k platform with no success

12. Make ASP work on French Win2K - and Unicode