Client connecting to web server via web
Author Message
 Client connecting to web server via web

I have a control that need to connect to a web server to retrieve
information (sql server) via RDS. If the user has a network connection to
the internet, simple enough, just go out to the web server using the ip or
server name and get your information. But this control also has to take into
account that a user might only have a dial up connection.
My question is how do I open that connection so that the control can get to
its data? There must be a few steps.

1. Finding the right dial up networking connection.
2. Having the user type in their password (while the control is waiting)
3. Realize that the connection is made and try to grab the data.

I'm sure someone out there has done this. Can anyone shed some light on the
matter? Thanks for your help. I'd appreciate if you could also email me your
thoughts. I can only get to the newsgroups in the evenings.

--felix

Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Client connecting to web server via web

Quote:

>1. Finding the right dial up networking connection.
>2. Having the user type in their password (while the control is waiting)
>3. Realize that the connection is made and try to grab the data.

Windows' sockets layer takes care of this for you.  You don't have to worry
about it.

Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Client connecting to web server via web
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 01:27:33 -0800, "Felix Tarnarider"

Quote:

>1. Finding the right dial up networking connection.
>2. Having the user type in their password (while the control is waiting)
>3. Realize that the connection is made and try to grab the data.

The MSComm control handles all of this automatically when you try to
make a web connection.  No additional coding is necessary.

--Elocutus
===
"The trouble with Communism is the Communists,
 just as the trouble with Christianity is the
 Christians." --H. L. Mencken

Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Client connecting to web server via web

2. Windows for via web takes 100sec to connect to SQL Server

3. Connect to web site via proxy server using Inet control

4. fat client (MSMQ, VB Program) or thin client (ASP page then have Web server use MSMQ)

5. Connecting to a web folder in Win98 via Word2000

6. Opening ADO database on the web via a Visual Basic 6 client

7. Modifying Client Computer from a web page via VBScript

8. Connect via the WEB

9. Connecting to SQL Server7 via the web.

10. MTS client installation via OCX or cab (web)

11. Need ideas to create client/web server application in VB.NET

12. Help. Setting up Web Services - Server Connect Problem