Getting ready for VB7
Author Message
 Getting ready for VB7

Because version 7 claims to incorporate object-oriented programming, the
MSDN site suggests learning OOP to be ready.

Can someone suggest a good starting point for learning OOP to me, an
intermediate-level VB programmer?

Thank you much for any help, suggestions, and advice.

Stu

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting ready for VB7
Actually, from what I understand, VB7 will now include inheritence, which
provides a powerful way of creating components that will also expose their
code to other objects. This feature makes VB an  attractive language for
JAVA programmers and those who have C++ experience. I do not suggest you get
too deeply involved in learning OOP since, well you already have that
knowledge if you're doing VB. Larn COM/DCOM technology though if you want to
gain a solid knowledge of what VB 7 is going to be about. Microsoft is
actually relying heavily on the COM standard, and VB 7 is part of that
strategy. Have fun.

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting ready for VB7
First, if you are using VB, you are already doing "Object Based Programming"
(OBP)-- this is, in truth, not far from OOP. For example, a Form is just a
class that has properties (like Name) and methods (like Show).

Second, if you are making classes in VB, then you are even closer to OOP. In
fact, since VB is so fast now, we could say that you should be using classes
for at least 90% of your logic.

Third, if you want some good OOP information, you may want to look into
http://www.rational.com. They know a lot about OOP.

Fourth, there are a number of good books on OOP with VB6. Do a search at one
of the online bookstores to find the titles.

Fifth, the book "UML With VB6" is a great book about OOP with VB. I own it
and recommend it highly.

That's about it. You are on the right track.

(By the way, Microsoft is recommending that developers should be preparing
for VB7 by making applications in VB6 consisting of VB6 DLLs and some other
kind of GUI, such as ASP or VB6 Forms. All of the logic should be in DLLs.
If you want to get good at OOP, learn how to build and use DLLs, and MTS,
and so on.)

Good luck.

(I can't wait either.)

Because version 7 claims to incorporate object-oriented programming, the
MSDN site suggests learning OOP to be ready.

Can someone suggest a good starting point for learning OOP to me, an
intermediate-level VB programmer?

Thank you much for any help, suggestions, and advice.

Stu

Tue, 10 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting ready for Visual Studio .NET

2. Events: How to pass C# events to VB7 (or from VB7 to C#)?

3. Does VB7 provide new fuctionallity of custom collections

4. Help VB6 to VB7 prob!!

5. VB7 String Performace Issue

6. vb7 datatable row index

7. VB7 lost Forms COllection

8. VB7 events - where is it ?

9. Reading HP-NetRAID Controller configuration with VB7

10. VB7 variables remains in memory ?

11. vb6.exe call vb7.dll

12. Calling VB7 Com Object from VB6