Moving A Client Server App To The Web
Author Message
 Moving A Client Server App To The Web

Hi, I am currently working on a project where we are taking an existing VB
application and making it available on the web, as well as our desktops.
Right now they want to use PowerDynamo Script pages, and Jaguar to call the VB
componets.  I think that it would be better to use ASP and MTS to call the
componets.  Especially since they are already using IIS, I think this would be
the fastest to implement, and the most stable.

What are your opionions?

Thank You,
Jeff Kirk

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving A Client Server App To The Web
Hi Jeff,

I don`t know much about PowerDynamo or Jaguar, but I`ve been working on the same
type of problems in converting client-server to intranet applications.  I`ve
found that a combination ASP, MTS and VB components is a fast way to implement
and relatively pain free.  In fact the only problems we encountered during
development was the connections to Oracle (7.3.3 and earlier) when called from
within MTS components.

I don`t think you`ll have any problems with the technology now though, as it
fairly well proven and stable

Regards

David Baillie
Consultant
DBA Software Solutions Ltd

Quote:
Hi, I am currently working on a project where we are taking an existing VB
application and making it available on the web, as well as our desktops.
Right now they want to use PowerDynamo Script pages, and Jaguar to call the VB
componets.  I think that it would be better to use ASP and MTS to call the
componets.  Especially since they are already using IIS, I think this would be
the fastest to implement, and the most stable.

What are your opionions?

Thank You,
Jeff Kirk
.

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving A Client Server App To The Web
Thanks for your answer.  Did you have to change your componets at all to go from the desktop to the web?

Thank You,
Jeff Kirk

* Sent via Developersdex.com http://www.developersdex.com *
The Web Developers Index

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving A Client Server App To The Web
Hi Jeff,

There is no problem to migrate your client from traditional VB client to
web. But there are some important things,

An ActiveX DLL created with Visual Basic is always Single-Threaded
Apartment(STA).

Alternatively, we can create your component with session scope. But the
choice of threading models for session-level objects is a bit different. As
with the page-scope object, single threaded and free threaded are bad since
access to them has to be through a proxy. An apartment threaded object is
OK, but when the session-scope object is being accessed, then the session
is locked down. This means that no other changes to any session-level
variables can be made while the object is being accessed. For a
session-level object, the optimal threading model is both.

So for the STA components, it is recommended to create them in ASP as
page-scope.

For more information, please refer to the following articles,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/iiwaobu.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/com0998.htm

Best Regards,

Sat, 24 May 2003 11:32:59 GMT

1. Web-enabling client/server app

2. fat client (MSMQ, VB Program) or thin client (ASP page then have Web server use MSMQ)

3. Launch app on Server to client, from client

4. Client connecting to web server via web

5. Client connecting to web server via web

6. LOCAL APP --> CLIENT SERVER APP

7. Client App wants Server App to start

8. ASP.NET Web App: How To Load Client File - Process from Server Side - then Ask Client to Save Output File on Client Side?

9. DHTML/SQL Server app works fine internally, not on web server

10. ActiveX Server Apps on a Web Server

11. Moving Client Server Tech to .NET Tech.

12. How do I move data file from Server to Client