VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP in Windows 2003 Server
Author Message
 VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP in Windows 2003 Server

Hello,

I am using the following:

- Windows 2003 Server
- IIS 6.0
- VB 6.0
- Visual Studio 6.0

In Windows 2000 server, I used to be able to run a VB COM object (DLL) in
the VB IDE and debug it when I hit an ASP page.  On Windows 2003 Server, I
can't debug if my life depended on it.  When I hit the ASP page, I get:

   Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8000ffff'
   Server.CreateObject Failed
   /testvbdll.asp, line 17
   8000ffff

If I'm not running the DLL in the VB IDE, then everything works fine (i.e.
the DLL is compiled and registered in COM+).  Here are some of the articles
I've used in the past to setup such a debugging environment in Windows 2000
Server.  I've executed the instructions in these articles on Windows 2003
server, but I keep getting the permissions error from above.

 PRB: Error Occurs When You Debug a COM+ Component Under the Visual Basic
IDE with an ASP Client
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;259725

 PRB: Server Object Error 'ASP 0178' Instantiating COM Object
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;198432

 BUG: Cannot Debug COM+ Application in Visual Basic IDE Under Windows XP
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;en-us;312280

 BUG: Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging Does Not Function Properly on a
Windows XP-Based Computer
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;312880

 HOWTO: Configure Your Web Server for Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;192011

 HOWTO: Debug ASP Applications Manually Against Windows 2000 Web Server
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;258929

I have been working with the standard three tiers (ASP/VB/SQL) for years,
and I thought I knew all tricks - but I've been stuck for the past two days.

In IIS 6.0, under Web Sites Properties / Services I have the option "Run WWW
service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" turned on (checked).

Does anyone know if there's an extra step needed in Windows 2003 Server?

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:10:02 GMT
[...]

 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;259725

 PRB: Server Object Error 'ASP 0178' Instantiating COM Object
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;198432

 BUG: Cannot Debug COM+ Application in Visual Basic IDE Under Windows XP
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312280

 BUG: Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging Does Not Function Properly on a
Windows XP-Based Computer
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312880

 HOWTO: Configure Your Web Server for Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192011

 HOWTO: Debug ASP Applications Manually Against Windows 2000 Web Server
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258929

I have been working with the standard three tiers (ASP/VB/SQL) for years,
and I thought I knew all tricks - but I've been stuck for the past two days.

In IIS 6.0, under Web Sites Properties / Services I have the option "Run WWW
service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" turned on (checked).

Does anyone know if there's an extra step needed in Windows 2003 Server?

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:11:44 GMT

1. VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP/IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 Server

2. Problem: DLL VB6 / ASP / Database / Windows 2003

3. VB.Net and Windows Server 2003 Newbie

4. Windows 2003 Server WSH

5. Problems in running Direct3D on Windows 2003 server

6. Windows Server 2003

7. 16-bit programs on Windows Server 2003

8. Winsock and Windows Server 2003 (.Net)

9. VB 6.0 windows form not displaying properly in windows server 2008

10. VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC

11. VB .Net 2003 Standard or VS .Net 2003 Pro for Smart Devices

12. asp.dll - VB 5.0 vs. VB 6.0