UPDATE queries Vs. Recordset.Update's! Which way is faster/better?
Author Message
 UPDATE queries Vs. Recordset.Update's! Which way is faster/better?

Hiya,

I was just wondering which of these two methods of updating a datbase
is:
a) faster
b) correct

I know you can use both, but which is better?  And why?

Can anyone help?

Oli

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:50:26 GMT
 UPDATE queries Vs. Recordset.Update's! Which way is faster/better?
Using ADO recordset .update() methods has several advantages. First of all,
you can get a recordset, disconnect it make some changes, then flush them
all to your data store. Another is that there is less code to write, and
you don't have to worry about SQL syntax. Using SQL UPDATE statements is
faster, and has less memory overhead (no need for an ADO recordset in
memory). I use SQL UPDATEs, or Stored Procedures, which are even faster. As
far as which way is "right", you can decide that, it depends on your app,
and your goals.

Ben Timby
Webexcellence.

Quote:
> Hiya,

> I was just wondering which of these two methods of updating a datbase
> is:
> a) faster
> b) correct

> I know you can use both, but which is better?  And why?

> Can anyone help?

> Oli

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:29:14 GMT
 UPDATE queries Vs. Recordset.Update's! Which way is faster/better?
Hiya,

Cheers for the reply.  I liuke to use SQL updates as I find them faster
and easier to use, but my boss insists on using ADO recordset updates.

Personally I'd rather it run faster and more efficiently but, hey,
that's just me!

Oli

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:24:48 GMT

1. VB6,Access97,ADO - Update query doesn't update all records

2. Recordset.Update doesn't update on runtime only when debugging the code

3. Update a recordset with station1, I can't see the update with station2

4. updating recordsets with join query's

5. the fastest way to update recordset

6. How to fast update a recordset ?

7. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

8. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

9. Editing/Updating 'Constant' Field In Recordset

10. UPDATE query not updating records

11. ADODB.Recordset.Update does not update?

12. Updatable Recordset VS an Update Store Procedure