Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
Author Message
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE

I can't open a a VBD file in Internet explorer because it  is an unknown
filetype.

It works on my (developing) computer, but VBD is an unkown filetype for all
other IE on the intranet. What is wrong?

I'm using VB6 SP2. All computers have IE 4.1 SP1.

-Freddy-

Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
There might be the need to set up a mime type for VBD files on your web
server.  Another consideration is that your security level is set too high
in the browser.  Make sure that when building the Internet download setup
that you mark the component as safe for scripting and safe for "something
else."
Quote:

>I can't open a a VBD file in Internet explorer because it  is an unknown
>filetype.

>It works on my (developing) computer, but VBD is an unkown filetype for all
>other IE on the intranet. What is wrong?

>I'm using VB6 SP2. All computers have IE 4.1 SP1.

>-Freddy-

Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
Take a look at MS Knowledge Base article # Q167380
"IE Reports Unknown Type .VBD for ActiveX Document"

Maybe it will help.

Andy Goldberg

Quote:

>I can't open a a VBD file in Internet explorer because it  is an unknown
>filetype.

>It works on my (developing) computer, but VBD is an unkown filetype for all
>other IE on the intranet. What is wrong?

>I'm using VB6 SP2. All computers have IE 4.1 SP1.

>-Freddy-

Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
This has to do with the DLL/EXE-server that you created when compiling your
project. You're not the only one experiencing this, let me tell you.

It works like this: The container (IE) reads the VBD file. The vbd file
contains a reference to the ActiveX document and the ActiveX server (ActiveX
DLL/ ActiveX EXE) that holds the document. If the server is found, the
container asks the server to return the document. The server returns the
document and the container is able to show it.

However, if the container is not able to locate the activex server, it can
by obvious reasons not find the document either. It does not know what to do
with the file, so it simply hands the decisionmaking over to the user (open
or save?).

So, the problem is that the server hasn't been registered on the client. The
most common way of doing this is to create a CAB package that contains all
dependency files (the server dll, among others) of the ActiveX document
project. Then you have to create a HTML file that downloads the CAB package,
extracts it and registers all of the files therein. All this is done by the
VB package & deployment wizard. However, the html page generated by the
wizard is not correct (at least I haven't had the pleasure to see it
succeed).

Replace the script code of the generated htmlfile with:

Sub Window_OnLoad
 Location.Href="yourdocumentname.VBD"
End Sub

Hopefully this will work...

cheers,

Mats Johansson, ACSS

Quote:

>I can't open a a VBD file in Internet explorer because it  is an unknown
>filetype.

>It works on my (developing) computer, but VBD is an unkown filetype for all
>other IE on the intranet. What is wrong?

>I'm using VB6 SP2. All computers have IE 4.1 SP1.

>-Freddy-

Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
I read it! It's a good idea but it doesn't fix another problem: I display
only the first VBD of my
Application into the browser, BUT NOT ANY OTHER SECONDARY VBD I want to
display using NavigateTo method.
Do you have encountered this problem too? Do you have a fix for it?
Many thanks

Paolo Patri

Andy Goldberg ha scritto nel messaggio ...

Quote:
>Take a look at MS Knowledge Base article # Q167380
>"IE Reports Unknown Type .VBD for ActiveX Document"

>Maybe it will help.

>Andy Goldberg

>>I can't open a a VBD file in Internet explorer because it  is an unknown
>>filetype.

>>It works on my (developing) computer, but VBD is an unkown filetype for
all
>>other IE on the intranet. What is wrong?

>>I'm using VB6 SP2. All computers have IE 4.1 SP1.

>>-Freddy-

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE
We're trying the troubleshooting information too..

we've been having this problem a lot over the last year. MS tech support not
a help, lots of guesses, no diagnostics that we or they know of. over
hundreds of hours spend on cab files that install ok and then mysteriously
won't run on a workstation later on depending on service pack level,
components installed, apps installed, whatever...

We feel the pain.

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

2. Running an ActiveX VBD from IE

3. Help Can't See ActiveX Document (.vbd) in Netscape Communicator 4.0

4. Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

5. Help Can't See ActiveX Document (.vbd) in Netscape Communicator 4.0

6. Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

7. Can't load ActiveX Doc (*.VBD) File From Internet Server

8. VBD document is not loaded automatically from IE

9. VBD document is not loaded automatically from IE

10. VBD document is not loaded automatically from IE

11. #@(*^ ActiveX Documents & IE Version - Bloody 'ell

12. Canceling IE's F1 Help with ActiveX Document