Basic Questions
Author Message
 Basic Questions

I was wondering how a commercial website functions.

1) If the web pages use COM objects written say in VB which in turn access a
SQL Server database, how could we deploy such a system on a web host ? Does
the web host have to provide us SQL server ?

2) how do we administer the application and also do things like retrieving a
list of orders placed and the like ?

Fri, 13 May 2005 19:44:17 GMT
 Basic Questions

Quote:
> 1) If the web pages use COM objects written say in VB which in turn
access a
> SQL Server database, how could we deploy such a system on a web host ?
Does
> the web host have to provide us SQL server ?

yes, the web host should provide SQL Server. though you *can* connect to
a remote SQL machine by TCP-IP it's not recommended over the 'net due to
network lag and insecure transmission issues

Quote:
> 2) how do we administer the application and also do things like
retrieving a
> list of orders placed and the like ?

this is entirely up to you. all you need is some way to retrieve the
data in an appropriate way. I've used online admin systems and local
apps which connect to a database. there are other ways too (emailing the
sales department with each order, sending a fax, spooling a job to a
printer in the sales dept, whatever)

I got bored with my old signature,
so I changed it

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

Sat, 14 May 2005 13:35:08 GMT

1. A basic BASIC question -- ListBox

2. Basic Basic question

3. Quick Basic/Turbo Basic Question

4. Quick Basic/Turbo Basic Question

5. basic basic question

6. two basic question (Visual Basic Net)

7. 1 Basic question and 1 how would you do it question

8. Basic Question

9. How to run code (very basic question)

10. Basic Question, about Close & Open Form

11. Visual Basic Question

12. VBA info please (needed quick), very basic questions anyone would know