Best language for browser applett?
Author Message
 Best language for browser applett?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but couldn't really find the right place
to post about this.

We are about to develop a large distributed system with a browser based
front end.
This front end will need to do some fairly heavy stuff (chucking bitmaps
around / drag and drop etc etc) so it isn't really viable to use any kind of
scripting language.
The question is, which language should we use?
Active-X/COM would be most natural for us, but Active-X seems fairly dead on
the Net, and we need to be fairly platform independant. I think Macs have
some COM support but I don't know details (How is X86 assembler run on a
Mac?)
Java would have been the obvious choice had it not been for Microsoft
dropping support of it. Do the latest incarnations of IE support Java? Or
are SUN now providing virtual machines for Windows systems?
And lastly of course we have .NET! Again MS only it seems for the forseeable
future.

Can anyone give any advice, or at least a decent web developemeny newsgroup
I could post to?

Thanks for any help
Jeremy

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:02:46 GMT
 Best language for browser applett?
Hi, Jeremy

Java Virtual Machines are available for Windows.  There's a fairly heavy load on
the client machine (20MB, as I recall), but it should provide the fancy features
you want.  If you're putting it on the Internet, you'll need to be
browser-neutral, and that means Java or Javascript - nice as the MS tools are,
they depend on IE, which you can't mandate to customers.  If you're going to
provide the sort of functionality you describe, I suspect the client machines
will need a lot of grunt, and download times are likely to be long for the
modem-bound.

Be aware that there was a {*filter*} combination of memory leaks in JVM 1.2 and IE,
which may, of course, have been sorted out by now (this became a problem with a
mapping application which wouldn't run in JVM 1.3, sort of a Catch-22, because
we couldn't use the really swisho Java-provided features, and HTML was fast and
dependable but couldn't provide the really nice pop-up labels that would have
been so nice).

Your server end can be anything you want, of course, but the browser end is
constrained by browser and industry standards, and even to some extent by people
who haven't upgraded their browsers (maybe you just tell them to go away until
they get a free upgrade somewhere; it depends how nice you want to be about
it).  Even using XML is a little ahead of the game, but you could take a punt on
browser features being available by the time you finish the development.

Quote:

> Hi all,

> Sorry if this is slightly off topic but couldn't really find the right place
> to post about this.

> We are about to develop a large distributed system with a browser based
> front end.
> This front end will need to do some fairly heavy stuff (chucking bitmaps
> around / drag and drop etc etc) so it isn't really viable to use any kind of
> scripting language.
> The question is, which language should we use?
> Active-X/COM would be most natural for us, but Active-X seems fairly dead on
> the Net, and we need to be fairly platform independant. I think Macs have
> some COM support but I don't know details (How is X86 assembler run on a
> Mac?)
> Java would have been the obvious choice had it not been for Microsoft
> dropping support of it. Do the latest incarnations of IE support Java? Or
> are SUN now providing virtual machines for Windows systems?
> And lastly of course we have .NET! Again MS only it seems for the forseeable
> future.

> Can anyone give any advice, or at least a decent web developemeny newsgroup
> I could post to?

> Thanks for any help
> Jeremy

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:06:29 GMT
 Best language for browser applett?
Hi Hercules,

Thanks for your comments, they are very useful.
Looks like it will have to be Java then! I was just concerned about it's
support in the future on Windows/IE. Are all the latest Java features
currently supported on the MS JVM? Do Sun do a Windows JVM?

What do you suggest for developing in Java now? The last time I did any Java
was using Visual J++ (Yeah, I know, MS rules my life!), which was very easy
due to it's nice IDE, but you had to be careful not to include MS specific
extensions. Does J++ still cut it even though it's been dropped, or has Java
moved on since then? I did take a quick look at the Sunsoft JDK back then,
but it appeared to be all command line based compiles etc. Any nice GUI
IDE's around for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some command line shy
newbie, but it's just a lot easier to manage large projects with a nice IDE
to take care of everything!

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Quote:
> [...]

> > scripting language.
> > The question is, which language should we use?
> > Active-X/COM would be most natural for us, but Active-X seems fairly
dead on
> > the Net, and we need to be fairly platform independant. I think Macs
have
> > some COM support but I don't know details (How is X86 assembler run on a
> > Mac?)
> > Java would have been the obvious choice had it not been for Microsoft
> > dropping support of it. Do the latest incarnations of IE support Java?
Or
> > are SUN now providing virtual machines for Windows systems?
> > And lastly of course we have .NET! Again MS only it seems for the
forseeable
> > future.

> > Can anyone give any advice, or at least a decent web developemeny

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:12:19 GMT
 Best language for browser applett?

Quote:

> Are all the latest Java features currently supported on the MS JVM?

Dunno, to be honest.

Quote:
> Do Sun do a Windows JVM?

I believe theirs is the definitive one, but I'm not an expert in this area.

Quote:

> What do you suggest for developing in Java now? [...] Any nice GUI
> IDE's around for it.

There are some nice GUI ones, which seem to crop up periodically with magazines,
and can be found on the Web.  Sorry, I don't know any URLs.  Probably there's a
Java discussion group (or set of them) out there where you could get a large
number of recommendations from enthusiasts, and presumably your local university
would be able to offer suggestions, such as what they recommend for their
students.  I'd suggest you look around the computer magazines if you don't have
a broadband link - I presume you're in the UK, and also that your magazines have
the same sort of content ours have (certainly the UK magazines we get here have
similar content to ours and the US ones).

Quote:
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not some command line shy
> newbie, but it's just a lot easier to manage large projects with a nice IDE
> to take care of everything!

Hah - you're just lazy!  I can relate to that.

Hercules Gunter

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:35:11 GMT

1. web browser experts needed for helping with the creation of the best internet browser(freeware)

2. Detecting Browser Support for Scripting Languages

3. detect Browser Languages ?

4. Browser Language Question

5. Detecting Browser Support for Scripting Languages

6. Howto Change Browsers Language Encoding Programmaticall?

7. What's a good language...

8. Which is the best language to learn?

9. Please Read......What Language is best

10. What's the best mathematical language?

11. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

12. Good SQL language info for VB4.0