Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
Author Message
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?

Hi,

This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know that,
even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I don't
really understand how they actually work.

Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to register
it on the server? If so, how?

My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a dedicated
server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that will
allow this?

Thanks,
Chuck

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:09:50 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
that,
> even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I don't
> really understand how they actually work.

> Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to register
> it on the server? If so, how?

> My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a dedicated
> server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
will
> allow this?

> Thanks,
> Chuck

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:58:54 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
It is common for webhosts not to register your DLL as the potential for
malicious code is them is too high for their liking.
I'm not sure what functions your DLL performs, but donsider using CGI
instead. If your host won't provide you with a CGI bin then go to a new
host.

.NET will solve a lot of these kind of problems with its web services
capabilities.

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
that,
> even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I don't
> really understand how they actually work.

> Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to register
> it on the server? If so, how?

> My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a dedicated
> server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
will
> allow this?

> Thanks,
> Chuck

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:02:42 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
My ISP allows you to register DLLs, he just makes you sign a release, and
you have to be put on a server with less Guaranteed Uptime (because others
may register a bad dll) if you shop around, you should be able to find one.

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
that,
> even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I don't
> really understand how they actually work.

> Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to register
> it on the server? If so, how?

> My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a dedicated
> server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
will
> allow this?

> Thanks,
> Chuck

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:51:35 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
Thanks for the reply. I don't think CGI will do the trick for me. We're
building calculation engine and data access applications with VB DLLs that
we want to be able to use without modification in desktop VB apps, Excel VBA
apps and on the web. Then we're writing a user interface for each platform
as needed. (And I'm hoping, from what little I've read, that .NET will
eventually allow us to also write one user interface for both the desktop
and the web as well.)

Besides, with my admittedly limited experience with CGI, I find it
relatively "clunky" to develop in so much so that I think it will be cheaper
for me to lease a small dedicated server (our applications are a very niche
oriented low traffic variety).

Thanks again,
Chuck

Quote:
> It is common for webhosts not to register your DLL as the potential for
> malicious code is them is too high for their liking.
> I'm not sure what functions your DLL performs, but donsider using CGI
> instead. If your host won't provide you with a CGI bin then go to a new
> host.

> .NET will solve a lot of these kind of problems with its web services
> capabilities.

> > Hi,

> > This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
> that,
> > even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I
don't
> > really understand how they actually work.

> > Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to
register
> > it on the server? If so, how?

> > My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a
dedicated
> > server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
> will
> > allow this?

> > Thanks,
> > Chuck

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:03:29 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
I'm really new at this, but this might help.
I know that in my area I can connect DSL service through Telocity.com.  They
provide you with a static IP address, which as I understand, means that you
can host your own component on your own computer.  It is not expensive
either.  They are charging $40/month to offer you DSL service connection to
the web and the static IP address is included.

Check it out.

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
that,
> even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I don't
> really understand how they actually work.

> Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to register
> it on the server? If so, how?

> My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a dedicated
> server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
will
> allow this?

> Thanks,
> Chuck

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:10:15 GMT
 Run ActiveX DLL without Registering on Server?
Thanks for all the replies. I'll check into these options.

Quote:
> I'm really new at this, but this might help.
> I know that in my area I can connect DSL service through Telocity.com.
They
> provide you with a static IP address, which as I understand, means that
you
> can host your own component on your own computer.  It is not expensive
> either.  They are charging $40/month to offer you DSL service connection
> the web and the static IP address is included.

> Check it out.

> > Hi,

> > This may be a question that really demonstrates my newbie-ness. I know
> that,
> > even though I've created several DLLs that are working just fine, I
don't
> > really understand how they actually work.

> > Is it possible to access and run an ActiveX DLL without having to
register
> > it on the server? If so, how?

> > My webhost provider won't register my DLLs unless I upgrade to a
dedicated
> > server. Is that common? Do you think I can find a shared provider that
> will
> > allow this?

> > Thanks,
> > Chuck

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:44:59 GMT

1. Registering an ActiveX server without apearing in the References list

2. Compiling to an ActiveX DLL without registering it

3. instantiate an activex class from a specified .DLL file, without registering that file

4. Registering ActiveX .dll on we server

5. Registering ActiveX .dll on we server

6. Sharing a Server-based DLL Without Setting up a Web Server

7. Download ActiveX-Control (OCX) without registering on the client

8. registering dll without rebooting

9. Create VB6 application WITHOUT ANY DLL being registered?

10. Creating an Object without registering the DLL

11. Possible to create a DLL without registering it?

12. registering dll without rebooting