migrating VB app to the Web
Author Message
 migrating VB app to the Web

There are basically 2 options that I would take into consideration:

1) Migrate the app to a VB Webclass.
2) Rewrite the entire app as an internet app.

They both have advantages and disadvantages, however what I would personally
do is wait for .NET......

Quote:
> Wondering what is involved to migrate my VB client/server
> app to the Web?  Are there any tricks or tools that can
> make this easier?  Am I better off just rewriting the
> entire application or can this be avoided?

> Appreciate all and any feedback!!!  Would love to discuss
> in greater detail with anybody who has actually done a VB-
> to-Web migration.

> Thanks in advance,

> Armeen

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:53:07 GMT
 migrating VB app to the Web
I agree with the two options as presented.  Just as an added comment, if
you designed your Visual Basic application as an n-tier, then the bulk
of the rewrite will consist of migrataing the interface.  The middle and
back-end components can still be used in an Internet-based application.

Bruce Johnson
TAG Consulting

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:46:13 GMT
 migrating VB app to the Web
What is involved to migrate VB client/server business logic to a
Webclass?  Is it a lot of manual work?  Is there a semi-automatic or
automatic way to accomplish this.

Thanks again,

Armeen

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:19 GMT
 migrating VB app to the Web
Is there anyway to more rapidly create the new Web-based UI?  Is there
anything I need to be aware or careful of when building the HTML UI?
How powerful is the VB6 DHTML UI builder?

Thanks again,

Armeen

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:18 GMT
 migrating VB app to the Web
A caveat.  I've never used the tool at the link below.  Found it.  Took
a quick look.  It couldn't do what I needed it to do, so I discarded it.
The reason is that most or the interfaces that I've designed are more
complicated than the relatively simple input choices in HTML will allow.
So they can't really be converted easily.  As for quickly migrating
Visual Basic forms, I've found that if you set it up correctly, using
CSS and behaviors, each form takes only a couple of hours to get the
basic functionality in place.  You'll probably take that much time
tweaking the automatically generate code to get it to where you want
anywhere.

That having been said, try

http://simplebyte.hypermart.net/eng/vbform.htm

Bruce Johnson
TAG Consulting

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:53:42 GMT

1. migrating VB app to the Web

2. Migrating from a standard VB app (GUI) to WEB (GUI)

3. HELP: migrating VB6 app to the Web

4. Migrate DB app to web

5. Migrating VB 6 to the Web

6. Migrating 16 bits Win3.1 app to NT 4.0 16 bits app

7. Migrating vb app to .net

8. vb6 cryst7. migrating rpts to vb app

9. Looking for a program that can easily migrate Visual Basic to the Web

10. How can you migrate older apps?

11. Migrating app from IE3.02 to IE4+

12. Wanted: Programmer to migrate QB 4.5 App to VB6