Signing ActiveX controls how to?
Author Message
 Signing ActiveX controls how to?

I have some questions about signing activex controls or more likely cab
files in my case, for smooth distribution on internet.

How does it work? must i purchase a new key for every control i make or
can i re use the key i allready got in other activex projects?

What must i do when the signed cab file expirer? (because i have
understood they are time limited) must i purshase a new licence or can i
re new the old one in some way?

Are there more key providers then verisign.com that offers this feature?

For my case i am working as a programmer at a shool and the users will
be a small group of students studying at home at distance that will be
using this controls. They allready have a dialog with our school and it
might be possible to get them to understand that they must change there
security settings to run this controls on our site. Is that an
acceptable way to go? or is signing them the "only way" it must be?

Thanks in advance
Kent Andersson

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:08:43 GMT
 Signing ActiveX controls how to?

Quote:
> I have some questions about signing activex controls or more likely
cab
> files in my case, for smooth distribution on internet.

> How does it work? must i purchase a new key for every control i make
or
> can i re use the key i allready got in other activex projects?

You can have one certificate for all your controls. The certificate
confirms that the piece of code it is attached to is indeed released by
your company (or whatever entity is registered with Certificate
Authority at the time of certificate purchase) and was not tampered with
since it was signed. It's like handwritten signature - you put the same
signature on all your checks, thus confirming their origin.

Quote:
> What must i do when the signed cab file expirer? (because i have
> understood they are time limited) must i purshase a new licence or can
> re new the old one in some way?

Administratively, you renew your certificate. A CA is likely to charge
less for renewal than for original purchase. Technically, however, you
are given a new certificate and must sign your components again and
place newly signed packages onto your Web servers.

Quote:
> Are there more key providers then verisign.com that offers this

feature?

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools | Internet Options | Content |
Certificates. In the Intended Purpose combo box, choose <Advanced
Purpose>. Click Advanced, and uncheck all checkboxes except "Code
Signing". Now all CA's Internet Explorer trusts for code signing are
listed under "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" and "Intermediate
Certification Authorities" tabs. Most of them actually come from
Verisign, but there are several other CAs. I personally have only dealt
with Verisign though.

Quote:
> For my case i am working as a programmer at a shool and the users will
> be a small group of students studying at home at distance that will be
> using this controls. They allready have a dialog with our school and
it
> might be possible to get them to understand that they must change
there
> security settings to run this controls on our site. Is that an
> acceptable way to go? or is signing them the "only way" it must be?

If you don't plan to distribute the controls commercially, you can ask
your users to temporarily lower their browser's security settings, or
you can package your controls into an EXE installation package and ask
your users to download and run the installation.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:33:00 GMT

1. Signing ActiveX controls

2. Problem deploying signed ActiveX Control on a web server

3. Signing ActiveX Controls

4. Problem deploying signed ActiveX Control on a web server

5. how to sign ActiveX control??

6. Digital Signing ActiveX Controls Using Verisign Components

7. Problem deploying signed ActiveX Control on a web server

8. Digital Signing ActiveX Controls Using Verisign Components

9. ActiveX Control Sign

10. ActiveX Controls / IE4 Security / Signing / Certification

11. Digitally signing an activex control

12. ActiveX Control Signing