Using VB to access web search engines
Author Message
 Using VB to access web search engines

Using VB, I would like to be able to submit a search
request to some of the web search engines (such as E{*filter*},
Northernlight, AltaVista and HotBot), and be able to parse
portions of the search results.

I have seen plenty of information on using Perl to do
this, but nothing for VB.  I'm sure it can be done because
I've seen applications claim they can do it.

Any help or a swift-kick in the right direction would be
greatly appreciated.  Post back here or email me at:

Thanks.

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:24:23 GMT
 Using VB to access web search engines
you can access google searches via SOAP web service these days - check
the site.

function String.prototype.r(){// Javascript rot13 en/decipherment. run
me for Atrax's signature
        var a='nopqrstuvwxyz';var b='abcdefghijklm';var j='/:.'+a+b;var
k='/:.'+b+a;var l='';
        for(var
x=0;x<this.length;x++){l+=k.charAt(j.indexOf(this.charAt(x)));}return l;

Quote:
}       alert("uggc://jjj.ernqgurshpxvatznahny.pb.hx/".r()); // Atrax, MVP

2002.

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:50:29 GMT
 Using VB to access web search engines
Swift kick in the right direction....

' This one shows how to submit a form on a web page
    Dim iDoc As HTMLDocument
    Dim InputEls As IHTMLElementCollection
    Dim InputEl As HTMLInputElement
    Dim InputSubmitElement As Object

    ' Get an HTML document from a web browser control
    Set iDoc = mWB.Document
    Set InputSubmitElement = Nothing
    ' get a collection of all input tags
    Set InputEls = iDoc.getElementsByTagName("INPUT")
    For Each InputEl In InputEls
        If UCase(InputEl.Type) = "SUBMIT" Then
        ' find the one you want
            If UCase(InputEl.Value) Like "*SEARCH*" Then
                Set InputSubmitElement = InputEl
            End If
        End If
    Next
    ' next line simulates a button click
    InputSubmitElement.Click

Copy, Paste!

mWB is a web browser control. This code would click the submit button for
you. Similar techniques can be used to fill in form-elements of the search
page. Check on MSDN for MSHTML, pay especially close attention to
explanations of the IHTMLElement and IHTMLElementCollection interfaces. Oh
yeah, for the above code to work you need to set (in your project) a
reference to MSHTML

Good luck!

Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:24:24 GMT

1. Search Engine for the WEB (Intranet-IIS) - Using VB6

2. Using VB for Search Engine Submits

3. Using VB 6 for search engine submissions

4. FTP search engine on the web

5. Web Search Engine

6. Using Access report engine from VB

7. Using Access report engine from VB

8. Using Access report engine from VB

9. Accessing MS Access from Web using VB?

10. Search Engine by using vbscript

11. Using Inet1 to POST URLS to Search Engines

12. Search Engine using DAO with SQL