Common Dialog Problem(File Open)
Author Message
 Common Dialog Problem(File Open)

The problem is usually that the control isn't installed on the client or they don't have a development license.

The HTML tag for file selection is <input type='file' ...> with the value read-only.

--
Michael Harris

I'm trying to create an "open file" common dialog, but the instantiation fails.  This is the JScript line at which the error occurs:  (the complete code is attached)

cd = new ActiveXObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog");

This is the error:

Automation server can't create object
Code: 800A01AD

I'm using WIN98 SE, and WSH 2 beta 2.

Any ideas?

Also, along similar lines, doesn't IE 4 & 5 have a file selection dialog object built into it that is scriptable?  I could swear that I've seen it before...

Thanks!

Jason

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog Problem(File Open)

Have a look into the sneak preview of the WSH Tutorial. Chapter 2 contains a description of the lizensing problem caused by some ActiveX controls. If you install Office 2000 for instance on your target machine, the control get the required license information.

G. Born

Check out the WSH Bazaar at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Guenter_Born/index0.htm

  I'm trying to create an "open file" common dialog, but the instantiation fails.  This is the JScript line at which the error occurs:  (the complete code is attached)

  cd = new ActiveXObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog");

  This is the error:

  Automation server can't create object
  Code: 800A01AD

  I'm using WIN98 SE, and WSH 2 beta 2.

  Any ideas?

  Also, along similar lines, doesn't IE 4 & 5 have a file selection dialog object built into it that is scriptable?  I could swear that I've seen it before...

  Thanks!

  Jason

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog Problem(File Open)

Michael,

I thought this was a little weird, because I didn't think that the common dialogs were implemented as COM objects.  Do you think this would work right if I had VB 5 CCE, or Visual C++ 6 installed?

I've seen this snippet of code show up in a bunch of examples, and I just assumed that it would work all the time, because, well... it's the common dialogs.

Any other ideas about how to get this working?

[...]

The common dialogs aren't (they're system dlls) but the VB friendly OCX wrapper is (included in MS development tool packages)...  So it works _only_ development boxes (we're ignoring web usage with license package files, etc.).

--
Michael Harris

[...]

1. Open as Common dialog

2. open common dialog box

3. Problem with Common Dialog on NT4

4. Common Dialog Object in a VBS file

5. the browse file common dialog?

6. Common Dialog Object in a VBS file

7. filtering files in the common dialog

8. Common File Dialogs

9. opening a browse or file open dialog

10. Open file dialog box and upload file

11. common dialogs

12. Common Dialog Control