WSH ideas regarding workgroup, computer renaming
Author Message
 WSH ideas regarding workgroup, computer renaming

I work in an environment where:

1.  Workstation deployers don't keep up with our naming conventions,
and 2. people go in an change settings on their system they shouldn't.

I've been at my current position for about a year, and have been
cleaning things up the whole time.  To keep it short, most of our
workstations are Windows 98 with no policy in place (yet!).
Workstations are set to about 7 different workgroups, instead of 1-3
the way it should be (at least in my view).  Hopefully, we will upgrade
the workstations to Win2K Professional in the next year; in the
meantime, I would like to write/modify/borrow a script that will:

1.  Change all computer's workgroup to the same name (required goal)
and 2. rename the computer name and DNS name to the user's login name
(they are logging in to Novell via Client32, optional goal).

I am pretty much a script kiddie when it comes to WSH.  I have played
around enough to be dangerous.  Has anyone done anything like this
and/or can point me to resources, specifically web sites and/or good
books to help out?

Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 WSH ideas regarding workgroup, computer renaming
I have found a few partial answers to my questions in some online
resources.

Microsoft TechNet article Q188602 has a WSH script that will sometimes
return the Workgroup name.  However, if there is a name in "Log on to
Windows NT domain" -- even if this option is not checked -- then this
is returned.

The article also lists the registry key that contains the Workgroup
name:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP\Workgroup

Since I am not doing any tests to see what Workgroup the machine is in
now, I can do a "blanket" write to this registry key for all Win98
workstations, which will put them all in the same Workgroup.  Since
this workgroup will have the same name as our domain, it will appear
(through network neighborhood) as if all computers are in the same
domain (of course, this is an illusion).

The part about finding out the username that the user is using to log
in to Netware via Client32 has me stumped.  I did find an online
posting about the WHOAMI utility in either the NT 4 Workstation or
Server Resource Kits.  This utility will display the username that a
user has logged in to NT with.  This is only partially helpful, since
perhaps half of our users log in to the NT domain.

I'm still working the issue listed in the original post, so input is
welcome.

Quote:

> I work in an environment where:

> 1.  Workstation deployers don't keep up with our naming conventions,
> and 2. people go in an change settings on their system they shouldn't.

> I've been at my current position for about a year, and have been
> cleaning things up the whole time.  To keep it short, most of our
> workstations are Windows 98 with no policy in place (yet!).
> Workstations are set to about 7 different workgroups, instead of 1-3
> the way it should be (at least in my view).  Hopefully, we will
upgrade
> the workstations to Win2K Professional in the next year; in the
> meantime, I would like to write/modify/borrow a script that will:

> 1.  Change all computer's workgroup to the same name (required goal)
> and 2. rename the computer name and DNS name to the user's login name
> (they are logging in to Novell via Client32, optional goal).

> I am pretty much a script kiddie when it comes to WSH.  I have played
> around enough to be dangerous.  Has anyone done anything like this
> and/or can point me to resources, specifically web sites and/or good
> books to help out?

> Thanks in advance!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Renaming a computer and workgroup by VBScript.

2. Renaming computer and workgroup

3. API calls for retrieving all the Workgroup/Domain/Computer names on the network

4. How to create local user on all computer in the Workgroup

5. Collection of local workgroup computers?

6. Changing Computer and Workgroup Names

7. How to get list of computers in workgroup (newbie)

8. HELP!What Domain/Workgroup a computer is a member of

9. Renaming Workstation Computer

10. Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...

11. Renaming Computer

12. Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?