shutdown system on weekend
Author Message
 shutdown system on weekend

scenario:
systems are set in the BIOS to turn on at 7:00am (for automatic PC to PC
backup). But the BIOS doesn't have a 'weekdays only' setting. the systems
turn on every day.

If the day is a Saturday or Sunday, and no one is there to log-in (Win98
peer to peer), can I have a startup (or login) script run that will shut the
system down?

A script that checks which day of the week it is and shuts the system down
seems simple enough. If it's set to run with the Windows Task Scheduler will
it run while sitting at the logon prompt?

Then it should check of course whether anyone has actually logged on (since
someone may actually be in working on the weekend) and only shutdown if it's
still waiting at the logon prompt (at 7:30am for example).

thanks,
Shannon

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 shutdown system on weekend
Hello Shannon,

You could add a registry entry to your machines that would run your script
at Boot without having anyone to Log On.  For example:  (risky)

Add your script as a Parameter to something that starts at boot, like
NetDDE.  Look up Parameters on technet.

JM

Quote:
> scenario:
> systems are set in the BIOS to turn on at 7:00am (for automatic PC to PC
> backup). But the BIOS doesn't have a 'weekdays only' setting. the systems
> turn on every day.

> If the day is a Saturday or Sunday, and no one is there to log-in (Win98
> peer to peer), can I have a startup (or login) script run that will shut
the
> system down?

> A script that checks which day of the week it is and shuts the system down
> seems simple enough. If it's set to run with the Windows Task Scheduler
will
> it run while sitting at the logon prompt?

> Then it should check of course whether anyone has actually logged on
(since
> someone may actually be in working on the weekend) and only shutdown if
it's
> still waiting at the logon prompt (at 7:30am for example).

> thanks,
> Shannon

Fri, 09 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 shutdown system on weekend
thank you for answering.
I'll have to do some further testing - again.

Shannon

Quote:
> Hello Shannon,

> You could add a registry entry to your machines that would run your script
> at Boot without having anyone to Log On.  For example:  (risky)

> Add your script as a Parameter to something that starts at boot, like
> NetDDE.  Look up Parameters on technet.

> JM

> > scenario:
> > systems are set in the BIOS to turn on at 7:00am (for automatic PC to PC
> > backup). But the BIOS doesn't have a 'weekdays only' setting. the
systems
> > turn on every day.

> > If the day is a Saturday or Sunday, and no one is there to log-in (Win98
> > peer to peer), can I have a startup (or login) script run that will shut
> the
> > system down?

> > A script that checks which day of the week it is and shuts the system
down
> > seems simple enough. If it's set to run with the Windows Task Scheduler
> will
> > it run while sitting at the logon prompt?

> > Then it should check of course whether anyone has actually logged on
> (since
> > someone may actually be in working on the weekend) and only shutdown if
> it's
> > still waiting at the logon prompt (at 7:30am for example).

Sun, 11 May 2003 08:30:30 GMT

1. Can I vbscript a system shutdown/restart?

2. How to run defrag at system shutdown through vbscript on windows2000

3. System shutdown

4. Off-Topic: Outlook Express causes system shutdown hang

5. DateDiff(how not to include weekends)

6. How to: Calculate # weekdays between two dates...excluding weekends

7. Finding the date(s) datapoints between a given start and end date, while excluding weekends

8. Weekend scripts: Chomp and s2Ascii

9. a conference - Forth, Open Systems, Embedded Systems, Java, ...

10. Determine System State in win2k and killing system

11. Expanding SYSTEM %PATH% with embedded SYSTEM environment variable problem

12. Rerun a program automatically in wsh if it dies or is shutdown