win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM
Author Message
 win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM

Has anyone been able to successfully run the win2k resource kit VBS files
like exec.vbs succesfully ON A REMOTE COMPUTER ?

Runs fine on local but point to a remote computer and you always get.
C:\Program Files\Resource Kit>cscript exec.vbs /e notepad /s Server /u
administ rator /w password
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Error 0x1A8 occurred in connecting to server server.
Error description: Object required.

Please check the server name, credentials and WBEM Core.

IS a Windows 2000 sp2 server and have loaded the WMI SDK just to be 100%
sure I'm not missing something.

Appreciate any advice.

--
-------------------- http://www.*-*-*.com/
                    Usenet Newsgroup Service

Mon, 03 May 2004 13:59:38 GMT
 win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM
You can't run a remote program that interacts with the desktop (how do you
know that someone is even logged on).
The first version of WMI for NT4 did allow this but since 1.5 it is a no-no.

Regards,
Ian

Quote:
> Has anyone been able to successfully run the win2k resource kit VBS files
> like exec.vbs succesfully ON A REMOTE COMPUTER ?

> Runs fine on local but point to a remote computer and you always get.
> C:\Program Files\Resource Kit>cscript exec.vbs /e notepad /s Server /u
> administ rator /w password
> Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

> Error 0x1A8 occurred in connecting to server server.
> Error description: Object required.

> Please check the server name, credentials and WBEM Core.

> IS a Windows 2000 sp2 server and have loaded the WMI SDK just to be 100%
> sure I'm not missing something.

> Appreciate any advice.

> --
>                     Usenet Newsgroup Service

Mon, 03 May 2004 15:33:07 GMT
 win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM
Thanks...but you'll have to explain to me why Microsoft supplied the remote
admin VBS files in the first place then if that is the case ??

Why does the VBS file have a parameter for SERVERNAME

Thanks

Quote:

> You can't run a remote program that interacts with the desktop (how do
> you know that someone is even logged on).
> The first version of WMI for NT4 did allow this but since 1.5 it is a
> no-no.

> Regards,

                    Usenet Newsgroup Service

Tue, 04 May 2004 09:43:56 GMT
 win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM
Because they can be used to execute non-interactive remote console mode programs including cscript hosted scripts...

The new WshController/WshRemote objects (WSH 5.6) have the same constraints because they were designed for the same kind of non-interactive remote task execution.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Quote:

> Thanks...but you'll have to explain to me why Microsoft supplied the remote
> admin VBS files in the first place then if that is the case ??

> Why does the VBS file have a parameter for SERVERNAME

> Thanks

> > You can't run a remote program that interacts with the desktop (how do
> > you know that someone is even logged on).
> > The first version of WMI for NT4 did allow this but since 1.5 it is a
> > no-no.

> > Regards,

> --
>                     Usenet Newsgroup Service

Tue, 04 May 2004 10:50:02 GMT
 win2k resource kit VBS files do not work with WMI or WBEM
As a matter of fact, I've used several of those scripts for "local"
executionvia telnet sessions.  As long as you make certain cscript is the
engine of choice (and "batch" mode might be a good idea too) you should have
no problem with them.

Because they can be used to execute non-interactive remote console mode
programs including cscript hosted scripts...

The new WshController/WshRemote objects (WSH 5.6) have the same constraints
because they were designed for the same kind of non-interactive remote task
execution.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Quote:
> Thanks...but you'll have to explain to me why Microsoft supplied the
remote
> admin VBS files in the first place then if that is the case ??

> Why does the VBS file have a parameter for SERVERNAME

> Thanks

> > You can't run a remote program that interacts with the desktop (how do
> > you know that someone is even logged on).
> > The first version of WMI for NT4 did allow this but since 1.5 it is a
> > no-no.

> > Regards,

> --
>                     Usenet Newsgroup Service

Tue, 04 May 2004 17:57:32 GMT

1. Need to download prnmgr from Win2K Resource Kit

2. NT Resource Kit .vbs files

3. IIS Resource Kit: CreateUser.vbs

4. VB/VBS WMI&WBEM HELP!!

5. Using the resource kit utilities in VBScript

6. WSH and Resource Kit Supplement 3

7. Spelling.inc on the IIS Resource Kit CD

8. Win2000 Resource Kit Doc Launcher

9. CDONTS.Newmail not working in Win2K

10. script works under 98, not under win2k

11. Manage NT services with WMI/WBEM

12. WMI / WBEM references