Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Author Message
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with users with slower PC's, when they login to NT
network, the NT shell/desktop loads up displaying all icons before the WSH
logon script even starts.
It takes about 6 secs for the script to start. This causes a problem in
that the user will start an application before all drive mappings and other
utilities have completed.

I should mention that I'm using the logon.exe utility in the users script
path (logon.exe main.vbs) and also the LoginScreen control. I have tried
using wscript.exe directly in the users script path (wscript.exe main.vbs),
but it complains about the path to the vbs file. It seems to default to the
users C drive or home directory (P:). If you execute the script directly
thru network neighbourhood (on the PDC), it runs straight away. So, its a
problem with NT loading up the shell, then running the script. If you use
the old cmd login script file (net use...), this runs straight away when
you login.

Please help!

Maon

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Hi,

 I far as I remember, there is a registry entry
to have running logon scripts "sync". Look at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

 and add a new value

RunLogonScriptSync

 set it's value to (DWORD)=1

 That should do the trick.

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Lange Roetterstrasse 7
D68167 Mannheim
Germany

(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

Quote:

>Hi all,

>I'm having a problem with users with slower PC's, when they login to NT
>network, the NT shell/desktop loads up displaying all icons before the WSH
>logon script even starts.
>It takes about 6 secs for the script to start. This causes a problem in
>that the user will start an application before all drive mappings and other
>utilities have completed.

>I should mention that I'm using the logon.exe utility in the users script
>path (logon.exe main.vbs) and also the LoginScreen control. I have tried
>using wscript.exe directly in the users script path (wscript.exe main.vbs),
>but it complains about the path to the vbs file. It seems to default to the
>users C drive or home directory (P:). If you execute the script directly
>thru network neighbourhood (on the PDC), it runs straight away. So, its a
>problem with NT loading up the shell, then running the script. If you use
>the old cmd login script file (net use...), this runs straight away when
>you login.

>Please help!

>Maon

Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Configure CONFIG.POL to execute the command \ \
<MyLogonServer\NetLogon\Logon.vbs.

It will Work!!!!

Good Luck

Paulo Roda

Quote:
>Hi,

> I far as I remember, there is a registry entry
>to have running logon scripts "sync". Look at

>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

> and add a new value

>RunLogonScriptSync

> set it's value to (DWORD)=1

> That should do the trick.

>Best regards,
>Manfred Braun

>(Private)
>Lange Roetterstrasse 7
>D68167 Mannheim
>Germany

>(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

>>Hi all,

>>I'm having a problem with users with slower PC's, when they login to NT
>>network, the NT shell/desktop loads up displaying all icons before the WSH
>>logon script even starts.
>>It takes about 6 secs for the script to start. This causes a problem in
>>that the user will start an application before all drive mappings and
other
>>utilities have completed.

>>I should mention that I'm using the logon.exe utility in the users script
>>path (logon.exe main.vbs) and also the LoginScreen control. I have tried
>>using wscript.exe directly in the users script path (wscript.exe
main.vbs),
>>but it complains about the path to the vbs file. It seems to default to
the
>>users C drive or home directory (P:). If you execute the script directly
>>thru network neighbourhood (on the PDC), it runs straight away. So, its a
>>problem with NT loading up the shell, then running the script. If you use
>>the old cmd login script file (net use...), this runs straight away when
>>you login.

>>Please help!

>>Maon

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
I have tried everything I could think to get CONFIG.POL to run a .vbs
script at login but I cannot get it to work - I tried configuring it to
run under RUN, RUN ONCE, and RUN SERVICES all to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Quote:
> Configure CONFIG.POL to execute the command \ \
> <MyLogonServer\NetLogon\Logon.vbs.

> It will Work!!!!

> Good Luck

> Paulo Roda

> >Hi,

> > I far as I remember, there is a registry entry
> >to have running logon scripts "sync". Look at

> >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> >NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

> > and add a new value

> >RunLogonScriptSync

> > set it's value to (DWORD)=1

> > That should do the trick.

> >Best regards,
> >Manfred Braun

> >(Private)
> >Lange Roetterstrasse 7
> >D68167 Mannheim
> >Germany

> >(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

> >>Hi all,

> >>I'm having a problem with users with slower PC's, when they login
to NT
> >>network, the NT shell/desktop loads up displaying all icons before
the WSH
> >>logon script even starts.
> >>It takes about 6 secs for the script to start. This causes a
problem in
> >>that the user will start an application before all drive mappings
and
> other
> >>utilities have completed.

> >>I should mention that I'm using the logon.exe utility in the users
script
> >>path (logon.exe main.vbs) and also the LoginScreen control. I have
tried
> >>using wscript.exe directly in the users script path (wscript.exe
> main.vbs),
> >>but it complains about the path to the vbs file. It seems to
default to
> the
> >>users C drive or home directory (P:). If you execute the script
directly
> >>thru network neighbourhood (on the PDC), it runs straight away. So,
its a
> >>problem with NT loading up the shell, then running the script. If
you use
> >>the old cmd login script file (net use...), this runs straight away
when
> >>you login.

> >>Please help!

> >>Maon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
I'm a complete newbie here, but might this problem be due to the fact
that .vbs files are not supported as native executables (at least until
Win2000 comes out)?  Try wrapping it in a .bat or .cmd file and placing
that in your CONFIG.POL.

Quote:

> I have tried everything I could think to get CONFIG.POL to run a .vbs
> script at login but I cannot get it to work - I tried configuring it
> run under RUN, RUN ONCE, and RUN SERVICES all to no avail.

> Any other ideas?

> > Configure CONFIG.POL to execute the command \ \
> > <MyLogonServer\NetLogon\Logon.vbs.

> > It will Work!!!!

> > Good Luck

> > Paulo Roda

mensagem

> > >Hi,

> > > I far as I remember, there is a registry entry
> > >to have running logon scripts "sync". Look at

> > >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> > >NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

> > > and add a new value

> > >RunLogonScriptSync

> > > set it's value to (DWORD)=1

> > > That should do the trick.

> > >Best regards,
> > >Manfred Braun

> > >(Private)
> > >Lange Roetterstrasse 7
> > >D68167 Mannheim
> > >Germany

> > >(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

> to NT
> the WSH
> problem in
> and
> > other

> script
> tried
> > main.vbs),
> default to
> > the
> directly
So,
> its a
> you use
> when

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
You HAVE TO run script files by first executing wscript, or csript.

ie.  "wscript myscript.js arg1 arg2 ...."
just like you would have to type it at the command line.

or....

you can use "start myscript.js" which(start.exe) checks file associations.

It's elimentary boys, you can't just type mydoc.doc at the command prompt
and expect something to happen.

Jason

Quote:
> I'm a complete newbie here, but might this problem be due to the fact
> that .vbs files are not supported as native executables (at least until
> Win2000 comes out)?  Try wrapping it in a .bat or .cmd file and placing
> that in your CONFIG.POL.

> > I have tried everything I could think to get CONFIG.POL to run a .vbs
> > script at login but I cannot get it to work - I tried configuring it
> > run under RUN, RUN ONCE, and RUN SERVICES all to no avail.

> > Any other ideas?

> > > Configure CONFIG.POL to execute the command \ \
> > > <MyLogonServer\NetLogon\Logon.vbs.

> > > It will Work!!!!

> > > Good Luck

> > > Paulo Roda

> mensagem

> > to NT
> > the WSH
> > problem in
> > and
> > > other

> > script
> > tried
> > > main.vbs),
> > default to
> > > the
> > directly
> So,
> > its a
> > you use
> away
> > when

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Hello Jason,

 because WSH/VBS registered the "PATHEXT" variable
with "...;.VBS;.JS" it is NOT nessecary to run vbs scripts
with explicitly doing it with WSCRIPT or CSCRIPT.

 If you have never used WSH V1, may be you have the
problem, that the PATHEXT variable is not properly
updated by the VBS V5 setup.

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Lange Roetterstrasse 7
D68167 Mannheim
Germany

(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

Quote:
>You HAVE TO run script files by first executing wscript, or csript.

>ie.  "wscript myscript.js arg1 arg2 ...."
>just like you would have to type it at the command line.

>or....

>you can use "start myscript.js" which(start.exe) checks file associations.

>It's elimentary boys, you can't just type mydoc.doc at the command prompt
>and expect something to happen.

>Jason

>> I'm a complete newbie here, but might this problem be due to the fact
>> that .vbs files are not supported as native executables (at least until
>> Win2000 comes out)?  Try wrapping it in a .bat or .cmd file and placing
>> that in your CONFIG.POL.

>> > I have tried everything I could think to get CONFIG.POL to run a .vbs
>> > script at login but I cannot get it to work - I tried configuring it
>> > run under RUN, RUN ONCE, and RUN SERVICES all to no avail.

>> > Any other ideas?

>> mensagem

>> > to NT
>> > the WSH
>> > problem in
>> > and

>> > script
>> > tried
>> > default to
>> > directly
>> So,
>> > its a
>> > you use
>> away
>> > when

>> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Tue, 18 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Manfred (and all you other scripting bums),
the PATHEXT key, for file types, in the registry is used for property sheet
handlers and drag/drop.  Entries in these keys could not cause windows to
behave as you say.

But, I have finally figured out why this "issue" keeps on coming up.  It's
because you and a bunch of other people are running NT, and many other
people are, including myself of course, are running win9x.   As we all
know(hopefully!?!?), the win9x shell is slightly different than the NT
shell.  But, we all assUmed that the shells operated the same.

On NT, you CAN type "readme.txt" at the command prompt and NT WILL run
notepad.  But, on win9x, this will not work, regardless of file type.
 Well, except for .bat, .com, etc : )- )  So, that means that my previous
message was correct given that win9x is the host OS.

I guess we should have just payed a little more attention to what was
actually going on.

Jason

Quote:
> Hello Jason,

>  because WSH/VBS registered the "PATHEXT" variable
> with "...;.VBS;.JS" it is NOT nessecary to run vbs scripts
> with explicitly doing it with WSCRIPT or CSCRIPT.

>  If you have never used WSH V1, may be you have the
> problem, that the PATHEXT variable is not properly
> updated by the VBS V5 setup.

> Best regards,
> Manfred Braun

> (Private)
> Lange Roetterstrasse 7
> D68167 Mannheim
> Germany

> (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

> >You HAVE TO run script files by first executing wscript, or csript.

> >ie.  "wscript myscript.js arg1 arg2 ...."
> >just like you would have to type it at the command line.

> >or....

> >you can use "start myscript.js" which(start.exe) checks file
associations.

> >It's elimentary boys, you can't just type mydoc.doc at the command prompt
> >and expect something to happen.

> >Jason

> >> I'm a complete newbie here, but might this problem be due to the fact
> >> that .vbs files are not supported as native executables (at least until
> >> Win2000 comes out)?  Try wrapping it in a .bat or .cmd file and placing
> >> that in your CONFIG.POL.

> >> mensagem

> >> So,
> >> away

> >> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Run WSH logon script before NT shell starts?
Hallo Jason,

 sorry, I think you are wrong. The PATHEXT works

"the NT shell/desktop loads up displaying all icons before the WSH
logon script even starts"

 So I could assume, you are speaking about NT, isnt'it?? So my
answer was restrictedt to the NT OS. I know, that it behaves
different from the W9X OSs.

 WSH V1 adds the ".VBS;.JS" to the existing PATHEXT variable.
So under NT I am able simply to type "myscript" on the command
line instead of "myscript.vbs". That's it.

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Lange Roetterstrasse 7
D68167 Mannheim
Germany

(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

Quote:
>Manfred (and all you other scripting bums),
>the PATHEXT key, for file types, in the registry is used for property sheet
>handlers and drag/drop.  Entries in these keys could not cause windows to
>behave as you say.

>But, I have finally figured out why this "issue" keeps on coming up.  It's
>because you and a bunch of other people are running NT, and many other
>people are, including myself of course, are running win9x.   As we all
>know(hopefully!?!?), the win9x shell is slightly different than the NT
>shell.  But, we all assUmed that the shells operated the same.

>On NT, you CAN type "readme.txt" at the command prompt and NT WILL run
>notepad.  But, on win9x, this will not work, regardless of file type.
> Well, except for .bat, .com, etc : )- )  So, that means that my previous
>message was correct given that win9x is the host OS.

>I guess we should have just payed a little more attention to what was
>actually going on.

>Jason

>> Hello Jason,

>>  because WSH/VBS registered the "PATHEXT" variable
>> with "...;.VBS;.JS" it is NOT nessecary to run vbs scripts
>> with explicitly doing it with WSCRIPT or CSCRIPT.

>>  If you have never used WSH V1, may be you have the
>> problem, that the PATHEXT variable is not properly
>> updated by the VBS V5 setup.

>> Best regards,
>> Manfred Braun

>> (Private)
>> Lange Roetterstrasse 7
>> D68167 Mannheim
>> Germany

>> (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

>> >You HAVE TO run script files by first executing wscript, or csript.

>> >ie.  "wscript myscript.js arg1 arg2 ...."
>> >just like you would have to type it at the command line.

>> >or....

>> >you can use "start myscript.js" which(start.exe) checks file
>associations.

>> >It's elimentary boys, you can't just type mydoc.doc at the command prompt
>> >and expect something to happen.

>> >Jason

>before

>users
>have

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. WSH Script in NT Logon Script

2. How do I run a .vbs file a NT logon script

3. W2k Pro not running NT 4 Logon Script

4. Nt Domain Logon Script using VBScript/WSH

5. deploying WSH 5.6 with NT logon script

6. NT Logon Script using WSH / VBScript

7. NT Logon Scripting using WSH

8. WSH NT Logon Scripting

9. Running replicated WSH logon scripts

10. WSH logon script does not run...

11. Running WSH logon Scripts from NT4 Domain controllers

12. Running VB Script code on WSH using cscript on win NT