Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Author Message
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?

Is there any way that I can shedule a defrag on shutdown or logoff on a
specific day using a script?

Thanks

John D

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:30:23 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
What OS?
Quote:

> Is there any way that I can shedule a defrag on shutdown or logoff on a
> specific day using a script?

> Thanks

> John D

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:44:46 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
W2k

Thanks

John D

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:58:35 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
No automation is built in.

You can get the Autodefrag tool from SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/autodefrag

and use it in a standard batch file which you set as the logoff script in Group Policies. The group policy stuff is buried on Win2K IIRC; you will need to run "mmc", then go to Console|Add/Remove snap-ins and add the Group Policy Snap-in.  After that, you can add the script containing the autodefrag command to the local computer policy.  You probably want it there so that the user can log off, which will reduce load as well as give increased security...

Quote:

> W2k

> Thanks

> John D

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:30:04 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
The desktops are w2k, the server is Windows NT (SBS). Sorry for the
confusion.

Thanks

John D

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:46:35 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
You can't do it through the domain then; you need to set up the policies on each workstation for the logoff script.
Quote:

> The desktops are w2k, the server is Windows NT (SBS). Sorry for the
> confusion.

> Thanks

> John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:03:05 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
I have just looked under policies where do you define this.

Thanks

John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:18:18 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
I had to hunt up a Win2K box to find it.

Once you have the snapin running, it should be under
Console Root -> Local Computer Policy -> Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
you of course want to run the batch file or WSH file from a "Shutdown" one.

As a backup measure in case users leave a PC on, you may also want to run that script from Scheduled Tasks in the Administrative Tools folder once a week (same night - maybe just schedule it to start at midnight).  That way if they log off instead of shutting down it will still run.

Quote:

> I have just looked under policies where do you define this.

> Thanks

> John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:30:56 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Thanks. So far so good.

Thanks

John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:06:08 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Unfortunately the situation you are in is going to be a bit of a pain....

I dug up my old Autodefrag script from when I was running Win2k - what I did was just

AutoDeFrag %systemdrive%

on the drive; you'll have to have the script on every system, but that bare syntax should work.

I would suggest setting it as a user logoff script a couple of times to see how it behaves and also scheduling it to see what it does.

Before deploying it from the scheduler for everyone, do a FULL test on a system - log it off with the job scheduled, make sure it can run, just so it doesn't pop up and surprise every person in the place on a Monday morning if it misfires.

Quote:

> Thanks. So far so good.

> Thanks

> John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:09:11 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Is there no way just to run the standard defrag tool?

Thanks

John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:26:15 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
AutoDefrag does run the standard tool. Thanks.

Thanks

John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:38:04 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Not to be ignorant or anything, but I can not find a Local Computer Policy
Snap In in my console. Could it be named something else?

Thanks.

"Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__> wrote

I had to hunt up a Win2K box to find it.

Once you have the snapin running, it should be under
Console Root -> Local Computer Policy -> Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
you of course want to run the batch file or WSH file from a "Shutdown" one.

As a backup measure in case users leave a PC on, you may also want to run
that script from Scheduled Tasks in the Administrative Tools folder once a
week (same night - maybe just schedule it to start at midnight).  That way
if they log off instead of shutting down it will still run.

Quote:
> I have just looked under policies where do you define this.

> Thanks

> John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:24:04 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Go to Start -> Run...-> mmc

Then View -> Add/Remove Snap-In -> Add -> Group Policy

Then follow your nose.

Thanks

John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:38:13 GMT
 Scheduling Defrag on shut down?
Thanks, did not know it was under Group Policy snap in.

Quote:
> Go to Start -> Run...-> mmc

> Then View -> Add/Remove Snap-In -> Add -> Group Policy

> Then follow your nose.

> Thanks

> John D

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:08:22 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. shutting down, rebooting, power down local host???

2. create a Script to run the default defrag utility on schedule

3. Shutting down W2k

4. remotely shutting down a group of specified computers left on overnight

5. Script to shut down Win2K service?

6. IE5 Process not shutting down

7. shut down, win2k and vbscript

8. Shut Down Verification

9. Shut Down & Power Off

10. ASP service appears to shut down all the time

11. Shut down the local computer

12. Printer Loosing Resources Shutting Down Computer ?