Win95 client wont run logon script..
Author Message
 Win95 client wont run logon script..

I've had not trouble getting NT clients to work, but I can't seem to get a
95 client to run the logon script.  I have both WSH and ADSI installed on
the client.  I tried using the logon.exe from Clarence's site (logon.exe
test.vbs) and I also tried 'wscript.exe test.vbs'.  Is there something
special to do for 95 clients?

-Chad

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 client wont run logon script..

The line 'wscript.exe test.vbs' needs to be in a batch file thats listed as the logon script.

Clarence
Check it out..

Http://cwashington.netreach.net

On this site you will find resources for all of your scripting needs.
Everything you need to get up and running. Over 100 Sample
Scripts, reference materials, and technical support via an
online discussion lounge.

[ Win32Scripting... automate!! ]

I've had not trouble getting NT clients to work, but I can't seem to get a
95 client to run the logon script.  I have both WSH and ADSI installed on
the client.  I tried using the logon.exe from Clarence's site (logon.exe
test.vbs) and I also tried 'wscript.exe test.vbs'.  Is there something
special to do for 95 clients?

-Chad

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 client wont run logon script..

Any idea why the logon.exe doesn't work??  I would much rather use that.

-Chad

[...]

I don't know..... This has puzzled me as well. Why don't you contact the code maintainer. His email address is in the readme that shipped with the distribution.

Clarence
You can do this with a control called the Moniker Scripting Host. The control can be found on my site in the downloads section.

[...]

Re LOGON.EXE not working with Win95 clients...

Quote:

>I don't know..... This has puzzled me as well. Why don't you contact the =
>code maintainer. His email address is in the readme that shipped with =
>the distribution.

"Use the Source, Luke..."

Here's how LOGON.EXE locates the script passed in the command line:

        logonserver = getenv( "LOGONSERVER" );
        strcat( scriptpath, logonserver );
        strcat( scriptpath, "\\NETLOGON\\" );
        strcat( scriptpath, argv[1] );

.. after which scriptpath has the full pathname of the script.  Or not...

Maybe Win95 clients don't get a LOGONSERVER variable during login?  (For that
matter, neither do NT 3.x or NT4 SP2 and earlier, according to article Q141714
in the MS KB.)  That would yield a path of \NETLOGON\foo.wsh which will most
likely be incorrect for your system.

As a workaround, you could probably replace the LOGONSERVER reference with
some code to fetch the name of your primary domain controller... or maybe
just s{*filter*}the path-building code and depend on the fact that LOGON.EXE's
current directory would be {LOGONSERVER}\NETLOGON or its m{*filter*}equivalent
(Z:\ or whatever); that way you could either use a {*filter*} filename and depend
on finding it in NETLOGON, or just pass a full UNC or pathname.

+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
|Don Piven - Chicago IL | Suburbs are places where they cut down the trees,

| '97 Waterford 1900    |
+-----------------------+ [Alfred E. Neuman]

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 client wont run logon script..

  I don't have a C compiler. If you do and you want to fix it feel free. I'll post it.

  Clarence
  Check it out..

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

  On this site you will find resources for all of your scripting needs. Everything you need to get up and running. Over 100 Sample Scripts, ActiveX controls, reference materials, and technical support via an online discussion lounge.

  [ Win32Scripting... automate!! ]

Re LOGON.EXE not working with Win95 clients...

Quote:

>I don't know..... This has puzzled me as well. Why don't you contact the =
>code maintainer. His email address is in the readme that shipped with =
>the distribution.

"Use the Source, Luke..."

Here's how LOGON.EXE locates the script passed in the command line:

        logonserver = getenv( "LOGONSERVER" );
        strcat( scriptpath, logonserver );
        strcat( scriptpath, "\\NETLOGON\\" );
        strcat( scriptpath, argv[1] );

.. after which scriptpath has the full pathname of the script.  Or not...

Maybe Win95 clients don't get a LOGONSERVER variable during login?  (For that
matter, neither do NT 3.x or NT4 SP2 and earlier, according to article Q141714
in the MS KB.)  That would yield a path of \NETLOGON\foo.wsh which will most
likely be incorrect for your system.

As a workaround, you could probably replace the LOGONSERVER reference with
some code to fetch the name of your primary domain controller... or maybe
just s{*filter*}the path-building code and depend on the fact that LOGON.EXE's
current directory would be {LOGONSERVER}\NETLOGON or its m{*filter*}equivalent
(Z:\ or whatever); that way you could either use a {*filter*} filename and depend
on finding it in NETLOGON, or just pass a full UNC or pathname.

+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
|Don Piven - Chicago IL | Suburbs are places where they cut down the trees,

| '97 Waterford 1900    |
+-----------------------+ [Alfred E. Neuman]

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Copy printerdrivers and adding printers with wsh2.0 logon script on win95 clients

2. Script wont run

3. login script wont run

4. Secured WSH wont run scripts

5. problems with logon script in win95/98

6. Logon scripts, WSH, Win95, stupid question??

7. logon script in Win95 Peer to Peer

8. UserName property in Win95 logon scripts.

9. Running Scripting Host Files as Logon Script

10. Login Script for Win2K server and Win95 Clients

11. Script to gather Client Info win95/98/nt/2000

12. Automatic logon script - client side