Script Errors
Author Message
 Script Errors

L.S. excuse me if this question has come up already to many times in this
newsgroup but I find it very hard to get an satisfying answer, so hopefully
somebody out there has an answer..

I can't find a list of errorcodes and their description
for instance errors like  -2147024829 /  -2147024811  or -2147023688 (are
there more ?! :-).
I tried to get information from Groups.google.com or the microsoft msdn site
but i find no list or whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Paul Sloekers

(remove .filter -antispam-)

Sun, 09 May 2004 06:57:36 GMT
 Script Errors
Convert to hex. If it is 8007xxxx take least sig 4 digits and convert to
decimal then look up number here
http://www.ads.ca/devtools/updErr.html (I gave up trying to find the error
codes on MSDN)

Quote:
> L.S. excuse me if this question has come up already to many times in this
> newsgroup but I find it very hard to get an satisfying answer, so
hopefully
> somebody out there has an answer..

> I can't find a list of errorcodes and their description
> for instance errors like  -2147024829 /  -2147024811  or -2147023688 (are
> there more ?! :-).
> I tried to get information from Groups.google.com or the microsoft msdn
site
> but i find no list or whatsoever.

> Thanks in advance.

> Peter Paul Sloekers

> (remove .filter -antispam-)

Sun, 09 May 2004 15:29:51 GMT
 Script Errors
Please post the more details on the error code and the exact error
description here, and then we can have a further troubleshooting on this
issue.

Regards,

Sat, 15 May 2004 18:24:02 GMT
 Script Errors
Step 1) convert the negative decimal error code to hex

Step 2) if the hex value starts with 8007 then convert the last 4 hex chars back to decimal.  8007 indicates Win32 errors which are documented in decimal.  Look them up at:

System Error Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/debug/errlist_7oz7.asp

Step 3) If not an 8007 error, then consult the documentation for the component that threw the error.  Most will be 800Axxxx (an automation error) and most are documented using some form of 800Axxxx such as 0x800Axxxx, 0x800AxxxxL, or simply 800Axxxx so try different forms in any MSDN search.

I highly recommend using google to search.

Google Advanced Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

perhaps with the domain to search limited to: microsoft.com, msdn.microsoft.com, or support.microsoft.com.

Here's a little VBScript to simplify conversion of negative decimal errors to hex...

do
  x = inputbox("paste decimal error code")
  if isempty(x) then exit do
  hexErr = hex(x)
  if left(hx,4) = "8007" then
    decErr = clng("&h" & right(hx,4))
    msgbox "decimal Win32 error code: " & decErr, vbsystemmodal
  else
    msgbox "Hex error code: " & hexErr,vbsystemmodal
  end if
loop until false

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> L.S. excuse me if this question has come up already to many times in this
> newsgroup but I find it very hard to get an satisfying answer, so hopefully
> somebody out there has an answer..

> I can't find a list of errorcodes and their description
> for instance errors like  -2147024829 /  -2147024811  or -2147023688 (are
> there more ?! :-).
> I tried to get information from Groups.google.com or the microsoft msdn site
> but i find no list or whatsoever.

> Thanks in advance.

> Peter Paul Sloekers

> (remove .filter -antispam-)

Sun, 16 May 2004 03:12:46 GMT
 Script Errors
oops (seems I missed a couple of last minute variable name changes ;-)...

do
  x = inputbox("paste decimal error code")
  if isempty(x) then exit do
  hexErr = hex(x)
  if left(hexErr ,4) = "8007" then
    decErr = clng("&h" & right(hexErr ,4))
    msgbox "decimal Win32 error code: " & decErr, vbsystemmodal
  else
    msgbox "Hex error code: " & hexErr,vbsystemmodal
  end if
loop until false

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Step 1) convert the negative decimal error code to hex

Step 2) if the hex value starts with 8007 then convert the last 4 hex chars back to decimal.  8007 indicates Win32 errors which are documented in decimal.  Look them up at:

System Error Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/debug/errlist_7oz7.asp

Step 3) If not an 8007 error, then consult the documentation for the component that threw the error.  Most will be 800Axxxx (an automation error) and most are documented using some form of 800Axxxx such as 0x800Axxxx, 0x800AxxxxL, or simply 800Axxxx so try different forms in any MSDN search.

I highly recommend using google to search.

Google Advanced Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

perhaps with the domain to search limited to: microsoft.com, msdn.microsoft.com, or support.microsoft.com.

Here's a little vbscript to simplify conversion of negative decimal errors to hex...

do
  x = inputbox("paste decimal error code")
  if isempty(x) then exit do
  hexErr = hex(x)
  if left(hx,4) = "8007" then
    decErr = clng("&h" & right(hx,4))
    msgbox "decimal Win32 error code: " & decErr, vbsystemmodal
  else
    msgbox "Hex error code: " & hexErr,vbsystemmodal
  end if
loop until false

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> L.S. excuse me if this question has come up already to many times in this
> newsgroup but I find it very hard to get an satisfying answer, so hopefully
> somebody out there has an answer..

> I can't find a list of errorcodes and their description
> for instance errors like  -2147024829 /  -2147024811  or -2147023688 (are
> there more ?! :-).
> I tried to get information from Groups.google.com or the microsoft msdn site
> but i find no list or whatsoever.

> Thanks in advance.

> Peter Paul Sloekers

> (remove .filter -antispam-)

Sun, 16 May 2004 08:53:23 GMT

1. Script Error Or No Script Error That Is The Question

2. VBScript 5.5 Crashes on Script Error in Script Event

3. 'Remote Scripting Error: Page invoked does not support remote scripting

4. VBScript 5.5 Crashes on Script Error in Script Event

5. Script error!

6. IE 5.5 script errors

7. Vaccum script Error

8. Scripting errors

9. nested script error

10. HELP! IE 5.5 Script Error when Printing

11. script errors when loading??

12. Strange script error/problem