debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
Author Message
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work

I have a problem on a Windows XP Professional Machine and the same
problems occurs on a Windows NT4-server-machine: what go's wrong?
I have microsoft script editor (MSE) installed via MS FP2000. I start
the script editor and want to debug a very simple script (Hello World)
just to see step by step what's going on? Nothing happens!! When I
start the script via quick launch (3rd tab), it works.
I think the cause of my problem is that I can't change the options of
MSE: I want to check the box near just-in-time debugging but when I
check the box, says everything is OK, then, when I open the options
window again, the checkbox is empty. Why??

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:19:36 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work

Quote:

> I have a problem on a Windows XP Professional Machine and the same
> problems occurs on a Windows NT4-server-machine: what go's wrong?
> I have microsoft script editor (MSE) installed via MS FP2000. I start
> the script editor and want to debug a very simple script (Hello World)
> just to see step by step what's going on? Nothing happens!! When I
> start the script via quick launch (3rd tab), it works.
> I think the cause of my problem is that I can't change the options of
> MSE: I want to check the box near just-in-time debugging but when I
> check the box, says everything is OK, then, when I open the options
> window again, the checkbox is empty. Why??

Initiating debugging from MSE is only supported for script embedded in html.

You need to run you script using wscript or cscript with //X to start in the de{*filter*} or //D switch to enable the VBScript stop and jscript de{*filter*} statements to work...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:32:31 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
Ok, this way, I can debug and walk through my code, but how can i do
it with the microsoft script editor. Earlier I had a windows 98
machine and when I took a script, placed it between <script ..> and
</script> tags, then I could walk step by step trough the code in MSE.
MSE has the advantage that you get help when writing code, that isn't
the case with the script de{*filter*}.

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:16:22 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
When you use 'wscript //x myscript.vbs' what de{*filter*} is invoked?  If not MSE, then MSE isn't the default de{*filter*}.  Whatever may have worked for you on a Win98 machine with MSE as the default de{*filter*} apparently *isn't* working for you on your current machine.

The whole issue on multiple dev software installs that each have script debugging capabilities can get pretty messed up.  And I have never seen an clear, easy to follow instructions on how to safely and reliably restore a given de{*filter*} as the default.

FWIW, on my Win2K Pro box with MSE7 (from Office XP), VS6 EE, *and* VS.NET AE all installed, I get a dialog box that lets me choose which of the de{*filter*}s I want to use.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Ok, this way, I can debug and walk through my code, but how can i do
> it with the microsoft script editor. Earlier I had a windows 98
> machine and when I took a script, placed it between <script ..> and
> </script> tags, then I could walk step by step trough the code in MSE.
> MSE has the advantage that you get help when writing code, that isn't
> the case with the script de{*filter*}.

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:49:20 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
The extra de{*filter*} I got was Microsoft De{*filter*}. Now, I de-installed
it and when I execute via wscript //x test.vbs, I just get the output
of my script, no debugging anymore, however, MSE is still on my
machine.

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:30:00 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work

/* ======================================================================

JScript Source File -- Created with SAPIEN Technologies PrimalSCRIPT(TM)

NAME: <filename>

AUTHOR: Alexander Riedel , SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DATE  : 12/7/2001

COMMENT: <comment>

========================================================================= */
var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");

var JITDebugRoot = "HKCR\\CLSID\\{834128A2-51F4-11D0-8F20-00805F2Cd064}";
var JITDebugLocalServer32 = JITDebugRoot + "\\LocalServer32\\";

var LocalServer32;
var JITDebugProgID = JITDebugRoot + "\\ProgID\\";
var JITDebugVersionIndependentProgID = JITDebugRoot + "\\VersionIndependentProgID\\";

LocalServer32 = "C:\\Winnt\\System32\\mdm.exe";
shell.RegWrite(JITDebugProgID, "MDM.SESSPROV.1");
shell.RegWrite(JITDebugVersionIndependentProgID, "MDM.SESSPROV");
shell.RegWrite(JITDebugLocalServer32, LocalServer32);

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> The extra de{*filter*} I got was Microsoft De{*filter*}. Now, I de-installed
> it and when I execute via wscript //x test.vbs, I just get the output
> of my script, no debugging anymore, however, MSE is still on my
> machine.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:56:21 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
It doesn't work, but thanks anyway.

Hilde

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:44:53 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work

Quote:
> It doesn't work, but thanks anyway.

I hope you adjusted the path written to the registry depending on what OS you run it on....

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:49:02 GMT
 debugging a WSH-script with microsoft script editor doesn't work
Yes, I did!

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:37:14 GMT

1. Executing scripts in Microsoft Script Editor with Debug tools

2. trouble executing scripts in Microsoft Script Editor with Debug tools

3. Microsoft Script Contorl AllowUI Doesn't Work for JScript

4. trouble executing scripts in Microsoft Script Editor

5. Using Microsoft Script Editor with Windows Script

6. Remote Scripting, it doesn't work on my machine

7. My Script...Doesn't Seem to Work

8. Why this script doesn't work

9. Script doesn't work

10. Script Debugger to debug wsh scripts

11. Signing a script file , then altering it doesn't prevent the script to run

12. Using ASP and WSH to Print on Your Intranet (Why doesn't it work)