Possibly a stupid question about winsock control
Author Message
 Possibly a stupid question about winsock control

I am working on an NT/95/98 login script (using VBScript) that will be
run from a netlogon share whenever a user logs in to our NT domain.  I
need to have access to the machine's IP address, and have been trying
to use the Winsock control's LocalIP property.  Unfortunately, the
majority of the users' machines do not have the file mswinsck.ocx on
them, and even when I put this file into the winnt\system32 or
windows\system directory, I get an error when my script tries to
create an object of type MSWinsock.Winsock.  I have the mswinsck.ocx
in the netlogon share where my .vbs script is run from, too.  What do
I need to do in order to use the control?  I'm not opposed to writing
a program to copy the .ocx file down onto the local machine and
registering it, but I don't know what needs to be done.  Can anyone
help me?  What do I have to do to get this stupid thing working!!??!!

Thanks!!!

Carla Gaskins

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibly a stupid question about winsock control
Carla,

To use any kind of COM component you will need to register it on the target
machine.  This is done with REGSVR32 for OCX's and DLL's.

It would also be useful if you said what your error message/code is.

John.

Quote:

>I am working on an NT/95/98 login script (using VBScript) that will be
>run from a netlogon share whenever a user logs in to our NT domain.  I
>need to have access to the machine's IP address, and have been trying
>to use the Winsock control's LocalIP property.  Unfortunately, the
>majority of the users' machines do not have the file mswinsck.ocx on
>them, and even when I put this file into the winnt\system32 or
>windows\system directory, I get an error when my script tries to
>create an object of type MSWinsock.Winsock.  I have the mswinsck.ocx
>in the netlogon share where my .vbs script is run from, too.  What do
>I need to do in order to use the control?  I'm not opposed to writing
>a program to copy the .ocx file down onto the local machine and
>registering it, but I don't know what needs to be done.  Can anyone
>help me?  What do I have to do to get this stupid thing working!!??!!

>Thanks!!!

>Carla Gaskins

Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibly a stupid question about winsock control

The stupid control does not work :-) b'cos it is not registered on the
client machines that you copied it on. Generally for progIDs to be available
on a machine other than copying the control, it needs to be registered too.
The way you do it manually is Start->run " regsvr32 yourcontrol.ocx. The
doing CreateObject("YourObjectID.yourObject") assuming that is the progID
will work. Note that the path of your control has to be specified for
regsvr32 ro work if it's not in the path that windows would generally work
on. Depending on whether IE is involved in the picture or not I could give
you an enhanced solution too.

Regards
spaceman spiff

Quote:
>I am working on an NT/95/98 login script (using VBScript) that will be
>run from a netlogon share whenever a user logs in to our NT domain.  I
>need to have access to the machine's IP address, and have been trying
>to use the Winsock control's LocalIP property.  Unfortunately, the
>majority of the users' machines do not have the file mswinsck.ocx on
>them, and even when I put this file into the winnt\system32 or
>windows\system directory, I get an error when my script tries to
>create an object of type MSWinsock.Winsock.  I have the mswinsck.ocx
>in the netlogon share where my .vbs script is run from, too.  What do
>I need to do in order to use the control?  I'm not opposed to writing
>a program to copy the .ocx file down onto the local machine and
>registering it, but I don't know what needs to be done.  Can anyone
>help me?  What do I have to do to get this stupid thing working!!??!!

>Thanks!!!

>Carla Gaskins

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Possibly a stupid question about winsock control

2. one possibly stupid question...

3. Stupid Stupid Question

4. quite possibly a silly question...

5. possibly another naive question

6. Winsock control in VBScript

7. winsock control on webpage

8. Winsock Control

9. Winsock Control

10. winsock control

11. how to use winsock control in script?

12. VBScript, ADO, ASP: Yet Another Stupid Newbie Question