how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Author Message
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server

Hi there,

Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several machines
from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:18:52 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.
Quote:

> Hi there,

> Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several machines
> from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:28:53 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Hello Alex,

thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
Is that possible with a script? How?

Regards
Helmut

"Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

Quote:
> Hi there,

> Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several
machines
> from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:05:23 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
You're going to love this answer:

"It depends."

The easiest way to do it if you do not have centralized deployment is a "pull" install, where you have the clients pull things down as they log on (or better, as you walk around and manually initiate a script - the best approach since this is the first time). This means you don't need to worry about client names, whether they are logged on, etcetera.

Trying to do a server push without experience of it with the software and without a client portion of it to help with the push is a nightmare - between up/down status, security settings, differing system configs, people working on things, and server loads it becomes almost impossible.

Again, with all of this we come back to the issue of - "what software?"

The reason is that WSH is excellent at leveraging and automating software, but does that by having a wide variety of methods for coercing it into doing what you want - not because there is a standard way of doing it for all software packages.

One of the best solutions, if you are using Norton AV Corporate, is to not even use WSH - the Norton directions give you a universal one-time install that can be dynamically updated in the future.

Quote:

> Hello Alex,

> thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
> to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
> machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
> Is that possible with a script? How?

> Regards
> Helmut

> "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
> to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

> > Hi there,

> > Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several
> machines
> > from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> > Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:41:07 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Thanks Alex -
YES I do love this answer....
Assume, that I have the rights to logon to the other machines - I think we
can reduce the problem to the following question:

1.the "server" is a NT Maschine.
2. the "clients" too.
3. So I try to get a list of the names of the "clients"
4. Then I need to know how to copy a set of files from the "server" to the
"Clients" to the special folder myDocuments.
5. Now I have to cross-check the number of "online" machines to the real
ones: the best thing to do it is manually.

It is not only a AV Program, I need to update them with other files too - so
let's reduce the problem to "I have to distribute several files"

Have a nice day

Helmut

"Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

You're going to love this answer:

"It depends."

The easiest way to do it if you do not have centralized deployment is a
"pull" install, where you have the clients pull things down as they log on
(or better, as you walk around and manually initiate a script - the best
approach since this is the first time). This means you don't need to worry
about client names, whether they are logged on, etcetera.

Trying to do a server push without experience of it with the software and
without a client portion of it to help with the push is a nightmare -
between up/down status, security settings, differing system configs, people
working on things, and server loads it becomes almost impossible.

Again, with all of this we come back to the issue of - "what software?"

The reason is that WSH is excellent at leveraging and automating software,
but does that by having a wide variety of methods for coercing it into doing
what you want - not because there is a standard way of doing it for all
software packages.

One of the best solutions, if you are using Norton AV Corporate, is to not
even use WSH - the Norton directions give you a universal one-time install
that can be dynamically updated in the future.

Quote:
> Hello Alex,

> thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
> to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
> machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
> Is that possible with a script? How?

> Regards
> Helmut

> "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
> to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

> > Hi there,

> > Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several
> machines
> > from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> > Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:33:01 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server

Quote:
> Hello Alex,

> thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
> to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
> machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
> Is that possible with a script? How?

What Alex said, plus:

Just copying the files and actually installing them are, in most cases, two
different things, especially in the area of AV software.

/Al

Quote:
> Regards
> Helmut

> "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
> to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

> > Hi there,

> > Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several
> machines
> > from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> > Regards Helmut

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:18:17 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Much better - complex but not impossibly so.  One more thing -

Are user profiles stored on the server?

If yes, this is very easy; simply iterate over user folders. If not, post back -
I will be putting up outline answer within an hour or two.

Quote:
> Thanks Alex -
> YES I do love this answer....
> Assume, that I have the rights to logon to the other machines - I think we
> can reduce the problem to the following question:

> 1.the "server" is a NT Maschine.
> 2. the "clients" too.
> 3. So I try to get a list of the names of the "clients"
> 4. Then I need to know how to copy a set of files from the "server" to the
> "Clients" to the special folder myDocuments.
> 5. Now I have to cross-check the number of "online" machines to the real
> ones: the best thing to do it is manually.

> It is not only a AV Program, I need to update them with other files too - so
> let's reduce the problem to "I have to distribute several files"

> Have a nice day

> Helmut

> "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> You're going to love this answer:

> "It depends."

> The easiest way to do it if you do not have centralized deployment is a
> "pull" install, where you have the clients pull things down as they log on
> (or better, as you walk around and manually initiate a script - the best
> approach since this is the first time). This means you don't need to worry
> about client names, whether they are logged on, etcetera.

> Trying to do a server push without experience of it with the software and
> without a client portion of it to help with the push is a nightmare -
> between up/down status, security settings, differing system configs, people
> working on things, and server loads it becomes almost impossible.

> Again, with all of this we come back to the issue of - "what software?"

> The reason is that WSH is excellent at leveraging and automating software,
> but does that by having a wide variety of methods for coercing it into doing
> what you want - not because there is a standard way of doing it for all
> software packages.

> One of the best solutions, if you are using Norton AV Corporate, is to not
> even use WSH - the Norton directions give you a universal one-time install
> that can be dynamically updated in the future.

> > Hello Alex,

> > thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
> > to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
> > machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
> > Is that possible with a script? How?

> > Regards
> > Helmut

> > "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> > Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
> > to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

> > > Hi there,

> > > Is there a possibility to install an anti virus programm on several
> > machines
> > > from a "server" machine? Do you have an example for a script?

> > > Regards Helmut

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:32:40 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
OK, here's a basic *pull* script that will do what you want.  Push is much more
messy (not sure where to start).

A problem is that there is fairly complex logic exposed if you use native WSH
for filecopy; instead, I have set this to use "xcopy" so it will automatically
copy all files, overwrite existing ones, and continue in case of errors. This
makes things work more reliably.  Note that as I said it WILL overwrite prior
files by the same name as any it copies.  It also recursively copies any
directory trees you have.

' Set this to share path with *.* - should only be files to copy
sharefiles = "\\dc01\c$\dist\*.*"
set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' "My Documents" may need to be localized.
Docs = oShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments")
wscript.echo Docs
'set dir to My Documents folder
oShell.CurrentDirectory = Docs
'Now copy using shell xcopy
' settings are 0 (hide window) and 1 (wait to finish)
' settings for xcopy make it copy over ANY pre-existing file
' and suppress all prompts - otherwise copy will hang
oShell.Run "%COMSPEC% /C xcopy /e/c/r/y " & sharefiles,0,1

Quote:
> [...]

> > software packages.

> > One of the best solutions, if you are using Norton AV Corporate, is to not
> > even use WSH - the Norton directions give you a universal one-time install
> > that can be dynamically updated in the future.

> > > Hello Alex,

> > > thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise, actually I do want
> > > to copy a set of files (which represent the actual AV program) to a set of
> > > machines. I know the domain name, not the names of the machines
> > > Is that possible with a script? How?

> > > Regards
> > > Helmut

> > > "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <alexangelopoulos_at_hotmail_dot_com_remove__>

> > > Most networked AV programs have their own installs; it would be impossible
> > > to say how to do it for one without knowing what it was and what version.

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:26:48 GMT
 how to install an anti virus programm on several machines from a server
Hi Alex,

thanks for your help

Quote:

> ' Set this to share path with *.* - should only be files to copy
> sharefiles = "\\dc01\c$\dist\*.*"
> set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

> ' "My Documents" may need to be localized.
> Docs = oShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments")
> wscript.echo Docs
> 'set dir to My Documents folder
> oShell.CurrentDirectory = Docs
> 'Now copy using shell xcopy
> ' settings are 0 (hide window) and 1 (wait to finish)
> ' settings for xcopy make it copy over ANY pre-existing file
> ' and suppress all prompts - otherwise copy will hang
> oShell.Run "%COMSPEC% /C xcopy /e/c/r/y " & sharefiles,0,1

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:37:31 GMT

1. Need to stop Norton Anti Virus for install

2. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

3. Norton Anti Virus for 95/98/NT

4. Updating Anti-virus

5. Run several Symantec-remove-virus-tool.exe

6. Anti-Linking, Anti-Theft

7. Virus vulnerabilities with WSH installed.

8. Detecting is a program is installed on the user's machine

9. Know if a program is installed in a client machine

10. Check if Root certificate is installed on client machine

11. SendKey, Reboot machine and complete install with Sendkey

12. automating the install of DUN on 9x machine