query remote registry
Author Message
 query remote registry

Can anyone tell me how to query (and update) a registry on a REMOTE machine.
I know for local you can use the shell.regread - but I am unclear on how to do
this for a remote machine.
Also, I tried to set the object winmgmts::stdregprov (WMI) to do it but get a NUL
error for that object.

Thanks for any help,
Michael Baker.

Sat, 31 May 2003 01:33:51 GMT
 query remote registry
Im looking for the same information:  BTW, you can do a regdump and a regini
to push back out to a remote comptuer (my temporary work around)

script is using netdom to get all members, then I want to read the reg to
find if member,server,or pdc/bdc, then I am check to make sure if DHCP
client is inabled there is no static WINS/DNS/entires..  2nd half is done I
just need a way to collect all the machines names easily..

msgbox
WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Produc
tOptions\ProductType")

Thanks!
Jonathan Reininger

Can anyone tell me how to query (and update) a registry on a REMOTE machine.
I know for local you can use the shell.regread - but I am unclear on how to
do
this for a remote machine.
Also, I tried to set the object winmgmts::stdregprov (WMI) to do it but get
a NUL
error for that object.

Thanks for any help,
Michael Baker.

Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:39:03 GMT
 query remote registry
You need to use a 3rd party registry component like the Microsoft RegObj.dll.

You can get RegObj.dll from:

Visual Basic - Add-Ins, Wizards & Utilities [registered VB owners]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/addon.asp

or

Win32 Scripting [Clarence Washington]
http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads

or on the companion CD that comes with "Windows Script Host 2.0 Developer's Guide" from Microsoft
Press.

You can also use WMI - you need WMI 1.5 on both machines and (pretty sure) have admin privileges on
the remote machine.

machinename = "machinename.domain.com"
' or machinename = "machinename"
wmipath = "winmgmts://" & machinename & "/root/default:StdRegProv"
set objRegistry = GetObject(wmipath)

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Can anyone tell me how to query (and update) a registry on a REMOTE machine.
I know for local you can use the shell.regread - but I am unclear on how to do
this for a remote machine.
Also, I tried to set the object winmgmts::stdregprov (WMI) to do it but get a NUL
error for that object.

Thanks for any help,
Michael Baker.

Sun, 01 Jun 2003 03:18:52 GMT

1. Query Remote Registry RegObj.dll

2. Remote registry query

3. Remote queries for HKCU hives

4. ASP Page executing remote WMI queries???

5. Running remote query on %LOGONSERVER%

6. Query on remote workstation

7. Possible to Query the Registry

8. WMI Registry Query

9. querying registry through WMI

10. Querying for a registry key or value

11. please Query the registry key existing?

12. Query Registry Remotely