why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
Author Message
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script

I assign this vbs script to the computer through group policy.  I want it to
run on computer start up, but nothing occurs so I wonder why the computer
cannot execute it.

When I'm logged on with my account, I can double click the script and it
runs perfectly, but for some reason it doesn't work when assigned to the
computer..

-------------
Set fso = wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set M = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strPhotoshop = chr(34) & "c:\winnt\system32\msiexec" & chr(34) & " /qn /x" &
chr(34) & "\\server\share\adobe phototshop 5.5\phtoshp.msi"

If fso.FileExists("c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 5.5\photoshp.exe") Then
M.Run strPhotoshop
End If
-------------

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:29:27 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
Scripts that execute on Win2K/XP system startup run under the SYSTEM account, not in a user context, before any user is logged on.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> I assign this vbs script to the computer through group policy.  I want it to
> run on computer start up, but nothing occurs so I wonder why the computer
> cannot execute it.

> When I'm logged on with my account, I can double click the script and it
> runs perfectly, but for some reason it doesn't work when assigned to the
> computer..

> -------------
> Set fso = wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> set M = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

> strPhotoshop = chr(34) & "c:\winnt\system32\msiexec" & chr(34) & " /qn /x" &
> chr(34) & "\\server\share\adobe phototshop 5.5\phtoshp.msi"

> If fso.FileExists("c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 5.5\photoshp.exe") Then
> M.Run strPhotoshop
> End If
> -------------

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:18:17 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
Help me here. Most of my application deployment experience
is on Win9x clients (with roving profiles), where we
always installed as the default user. This way, the app
was setup for everyone. If Pete wants to install
Photoshop, doesn't he want to install before a user
profile starts up?

I've had customers tell me they get messages that they
need to run setup for an app, even though the app is
installed. After research, I decided it was because the
app was installed by another user. All other users must
run setup again. I thought the fix for this was to install
before a user profile starts, so the app was setup for
the "default" user.

Richard

Quote:

Quote:
>> I assign this vbs script to the computer through group

policy.  I want it to
Quote:
>> run on computer start up, but nothing occurs so I

wonder why the computer
Quote:
>> cannot execute it.

>> When I'm logged on with my account, I can double click
the script and it
>> runs perfectly, but for some reason it doesn't work

when assigned to the
Quote:
>> computer..

>> -------------
>> Set fso = wscript.CreateObject

("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Quote:
>> set M = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

>> strPhotoshop = chr(34) & "c:\winnt\system32\msiexec" &

chr(34) & " /qn /x" &
Quote:
>> chr(34) & "\\server\share\adobe phototshop 5.5
\phtoshp.msi"

>> If fso.FileExists("c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 5.5

\photoshp.exe") Then
Quote:
>> M.Run strPhotoshop
>> End If
>> -------------

>.

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:38:39 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
Hi

For a MSI packeage, you should set the ALLUSERS property.

Take a look at this message for more information:

Subject: Re: User creation, login script and SW installation (Was: What is
windowsscript.adm and where can I get it?)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2001-11-10 22:10:10 PST

You can use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to fetch it :-)

--
torgeir

Quote:

> Help me here. Most of my application deployment experience
> is on Win9x clients (with roving profiles), where we
> always installed as the default user. This way, the app
> was setup for everyone. If Pete wants to install
> Photoshop, doesn't he want to install before a user
> profile starts up?

> I've had customers tell me they get messages that they
> need to run setup for an app, even though the app is
> installed. After research, I decided it was because the
> app was installed by another user. All other users must
> run setup again. I thought the fix for this was to install
> before a user profile starts, so the app was setup for
> the "default" user.

> Richard

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:52:10 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
The SYSTEM account has no access to network shares even via UNC paths.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Help me here. Most of my application deployment experience
> is on Win9x clients (with roving profiles), where we
> always installed as the default user. This way, the app
> was setup for everyone. If Pete wants to install
> Photoshop, doesn't he want to install before a user
> profile starts up?

> I've had customers tell me they get messages that they
> need to run setup for an app, even though the app is
> installed. After research, I decided it was because the
> app was installed by another user. All other users must
> run setup again. I thought the fix for this was to install
> before a user profile starts, so the app was setup for
> the "default" user.

> Richard

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:02:23 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
Makes sense. On my network I also run a machine startup
script (like Pete) using Group Policy. Mine logs info to a
file in a share on the server. The only thing I did to the
client machine was add the computer object to the group
Domain Computers. I had to give that group permissions to
the share. I don't see the SYSTEM account in Local Users,
but maybe adding the computer object to a group that has
permissions to the share solves that problem.

Richard

Quote:

Quote:

&
>> chr(34) & " /qn /x" &
>> \phtoshp.msi"

5.5
>> \photoshp.exe") Then

>> >.

>.

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:36:44 GMT
 why does this script fail when I assign it to COMPUTER startup script
My script was actually UNINSTALLING photoshop, not installing it!

I know when you see the MSIEXEC command one automatically assumes that it's
installing an app, but I wanted to create a script that could silently
uninstall it during computer startup so that when the user logs in, it's not
longer there...

Quote:
> Help me here. Most of my application deployment experience
> is on Win9x clients (with roving profiles), where we
> always installed as the default user. This way, the app
> was setup for everyone. If Pete wants to install
> Photoshop, doesn't he want to install before a user
> profile starts up?

> I've had customers tell me they get messages that they
> need to run setup for an app, even though the app is
> installed. After research, I decided it was because the
> app was installed by another user. All other users must
> run setup again. I thought the fix for this was to install
> before a user profile starts, so the app was setup for
> the "default" user.

> Richard

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:35:50 GMT

1. Why is this script failing ???

2. Installation of German Windows Scripting 5.6 fails - why?

3. Assigning Client Script Variables to Application level variables inside of a Client Script

4. Startup order script

5. Startup Script to install Printer

6. AD: Startup script/Cacls

7. Startup script - using VBScript is very slow

8. Install application through startup script

9. Trouble with my SUBST startup script

10. Need Script to Perform Device Manager Action on Startup

11. Startup order script

12. Boot, Startup then run Script