Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6
Author Message
 Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6

I'm having trouble running WSH 5.6 scripts with remote functionality.

Whenever I run the script, I get one of two errors:
I have 2 machines (Let's call then machine-a and machine-b)
When I start the script on machine-a, with the functionality to occur on machine-b, the WSH interpreter gives me the message "Call was rejected by callee".
When I start the script on machine-b, with the functionality to occur on machine-a, the WSH interpreter gives me the message "Remote Calls are not allowed for this process".

I get these messages even when I use microsoft's recommended example (See http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

Both machines are Windows 2000 Professional with WSH 5.6 installed.  I've also changed the value "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\Remote" to "1" instead of "0" on both machines.  Also, these machines are members of a workgroup, not a domain.  However, I have created an account with the same username/password on both machines (and this account is a member of the administrators group), and I am logged in under this account when I attempt to initialize the script.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chad McEntire

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:08:00 GMT
 Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6
Have you tried using DCOMCNFG on the remote machine to change the WshRemote Properties/Identity to execute with "This user" and an explicit account/password rather than as "The launching user"?

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

I get these messages even when I use microsoft's recommended example (See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/scri... ).

[...]

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:48:44 GMT
 Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6
These sound like dcom errors. Are you running Visual Studio.Net on one or
both of those machines?

On machine a you may need to enable DCOM. Check to see if it is enabled or
not.

On machine b look at this key and make sure it is set to "Y" (without the
quotes):
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLE\EnableDCOM

Mike Dutra
Windows Script Host Support

reserved.

--------------------

Quote:
>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:08:00 -0700

>Subject: Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6

>I'm having trouble running WSH 5.6 scripts with remote functionality.
>Whenever I run the script, I get one of two errors:
>I have 2 machines (Let's call then machine-a and machine-b)
>When I start the script on machine-a, with the functionality to occur on

machine-b, the WSH interpreter gives me the message "Call was rejected by
callee".
Quote:
>When I start the script on machine-b, with the functionality to occur on

machine-a, the WSH interpreter gives me the message "Remote Calls are not
allowed for this process".
Quote:
>I get these messages even when I use microsoft's recommended example (See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/scri...
ml/wsconrunningscriptsremotelyrunningscriptovertherefromhere.asp ).
Quote:
>Both machines are Windows 2000 Professional with WSH 5.6 installed.  I've

also changed the value "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script
Host\Settings\Remote" to "1" instead of "0" on both machines.  Also, these
machines are members of a workgroup, not a domain.  However, I have created
an account with the same username/password on both machines (and this
account is a member of the administrators group), and I am logged in under
this account when I attempt to initialize the script.
Quote:
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>Chad McEntire

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:07:28 GMT
 Problems using remote capabilities of WSH 5.6

Thanks for the help on this.

Problem turned out to be that DCOM was not started on Machine B.  Machine A was fine.  The Registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLE\EnableDCOM did not even exist.  After creating the value, setting it to "Y", and rebooting, everything works perfectly.  (And I was not running Visual Studio.Net on either machine.)

Again, thanks for the speedy suggestions.

Chad McEntire

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:50:00 GMT

1. WSH 5.6 remote scripting - WSHController

2. Remote scripting with WSH 5.6

3. Running Remote Batch Files With WSH 5.6

4. WSH 5.6 and Remote Scripting

5. WSH 5.6 b 1 Remote Exec

6. WSH 5.6 vs 5.1 for Win9x can CSCRIPT be used for Win9x

7. WSH 5.6 Problems

8. WSH 5.6 and Script Debugger on XP Pro problems

9. wsh 5.6 beta 2 problems

10. Big Problems mit WSH 5.6

11. BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH

12. BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH