Newbie Question
Author Message
 Newbie Question

What is the situation with WSH and security - my impression is that it is
insecure and should not be installed if possible.

--
Kevin Lenaghan
MSc, MCSE, CNE3, A+

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 04:19:00 GMT
 Newbie Question

Quote:
> What is the situation with WSH and security - my impression is that it is
> insecure and should not be installed if possible.

Surely, the only insecurity is from people running scripts which are hosted
by WSH. You could apply a similar argument to any executable, so why not
uninstall your operating system ;-)

MM

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 05:14:22 GMT
 Newbie Question
No more so than batch files.  What's the context of the question?  Role and
exposure make a large difference, too.  Assuming we are talking about an
unprotected, standalone Win9x machine as a direct example, I would say WSH is a
risk but it would be one of the last items I would worry about.

On a LAN with competent admin support, the security issues are minimal - and
removal of WSH can actually be counterproductive to improved security there.

Quote:
> What is the situation with WSH and security - my impression is that it is
> insecure and should not be installed if possible.

> --
> Kevin Lenaghan
> MSc, MCSE, CNE3, A+

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:07:09 GMT
 Newbie Question

Quote:

> > What is the situation with WSH and security - my impression is that it
is
> > insecure and should not be installed if possible.

> Surely, the only insecurity is from people running scripts which are
hosted
> by WSH. You could apply a similar argument to any executable, so why not
> uninstall your operating system ;-)

> MM

What will his AV software run on? ;-)

--
Todd Vargo (body of message must contain my name to reply by email)

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:13:52 GMT
 Newbie Question
From my home page...
Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing initiative relies in part on architects
and administrators to take security seriously. If you use WSH within your
organization then you should consider deploying the security features
offered by WSH 5.6. Andrew Clinick's article Providing a Secure eXPerience
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?co...
=28001169 has a good overview of the features and I have put together a
quick check list on how to install a Certificate Server so that you can sign
your own scripts.

Regards,
Ian
WSH FAQ http://communities.msn.com/windowsscript

Quote:
> What is the situation with WSH and security - my impression is that it is
> insecure and should not be installed if possible.

> --
> Kevin Lenaghan
> MSc, MCSE, CNE3, A+

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:25:18 GMT

1. Newbie question: Session_OnEnd question

2. VBScript, ADO, ASP: Yet Another Stupid Newbie Question

3. newbie question

4. newbie question - activeX lib usages

5. NEWBIE QUESTION: ReDim Preserver Multidimensional Arrays ??

6. ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION: String Concatenation

7. newbie questions

8. Newbie Question

9. newbie question

10. Newbie question - VBScript in IE

11. Newbie question: function returning more than 1 value

12. General newbie question